Nine (WIN)

I decided to connect WIN’s preferred “Xmas” lineup from post-Ten so far using promo.

2016:
*Heidi (1993 Mini-Series, very “Burce-y” choice here!)
*Halfway Across The Galaxy and Turn Left (obscure Crawfords-produced kids sci-fi show from 1994 based on a 1985 children’s novel, selected episodes)
*Ten’s Xmas movies as usual (Jingle All The Way 2 and Home Alone 5: The Holiday Heist)

2017:
*Halfway Across The Galaxy and Turn Left (ditto)
*Alive and Cooking Christmas Special
*WIN Symphony Orchestra Special
*The Saddle Club (WIN-produced Series 3, selected episodes)

2018:
Ditto to the above without HATG&TL (hints of a Complete Series DVD release coming soon?), plus mention of Ten airing a single Xmas movie , that being Elf.

In 2016 WIN also broadcast a special to commemorate 40 years since the debut of The Sullivans. Probably a thinly veiled promo for WIN selling the series on DVD

3 Likes

What’s obsure about it? Didn’t see much of the series but loved the book. Probably time for a remake for tv or film.

Australians can so often be critical of their own literature.

2 Likes

I think the series sold well overseas too as a lot of Australian kids dramas did in those days

2 Likes

WIN’s line up tonight and the next 2 differs from Ten.

Tonight they are playing Father of the Bride, then Elf is on Christmas night stating at 7.30pm then That’s Not My Dog on Wednesday.

4 Likes

That explains why the Elf promo used the WIN voiceover guy.

3 Likes

I saw a few minutes of “Father Of The Bride” on WIN last night and it wasn’t in HD.

3 Likes

Presumably WIN’s heavy modification of the Christmas Day lineup is something they and Ten would’ve had to agree to as part of the affiliation contract? Because I don’t remember them doing anything like this during their Nine affiliation days.

Either way, it seems weird that WIN would even bother to modify the programming lineup on perhaps the least watched day of television all year.

Are there any genuine benefits to be had out of WIN scheduling different Christmas Day content to Ten? Or does it just make Bruce Gordon slightly happier to see a programming day predominantly made up of content from the WIN/Crawfords archives?

4 Likes

WIN used to mess with Nine’s schedule all the time… including in Perth and Adelaide.

1 Like

WIN used to show Susie instead of Kerri-Anne.

2 Likes

How old was the WIN Symphony Orchestra Special?

1977! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Despite the HD watermark on the screen, this Saddle Club episode on right now is not in HD.

3 Likes

This is definitely the case in North QLD too.
WIN has always been colloquially known as “Channel Nine” for years and years under the previous affiliation, and that still continues to this day, despite the fact it’s not Nine anymore and we do actually have a Nine.

A month or two ago there was a staff email that went out at work about a programme that had been partly filmed in Townsville, and the email that went out said it was on “Channel Nine”… it was in fact on WIN.

7 Likes

Not sure if it has already been posted, been meaning to record it for a while and finally got it, the generic “Home Made” WIN promo for FBI, It took them a month or so after relaunch to start making their own generic 5 second promos again, generally shown in place of 10 Signposts etc.

Also recorded a few weeks ago, the generic NCIS promo

6 Likes

i98FM billboard:

7 Likes

Just saw a Illawarra Hawks membership ad on WIN.

In Northern NSW.

Now if you know your NBL, you’ll know how odd/wrong that will sound.

5 Likes

happened the other day as well!

2 Likes

Saw it play out in the Border/North East market earlier this week, along with a WIN News promo ending with the “Central Victoria’s best news” tag line. Something went wrong here.

3 Likes

The WIN Network ™: Something went wrong here.

7 Likes