Nine (WIN)

just a question, how many regions has a channel that purely advertises programs on Win, One and 11 as well as mentions TVSN and Gold channels, no actual program content???

Newcastle has this on Channel 53… and called WIN Network…

If all East Coast WIN regions have this (or all WIN regions have this), maybe they could either program it with entirely WIN and Crawfords TV programs as well as programs that are sourced by WIN… OR relay the main channel on 53… make use of the space they are already using

AFAIK. It just looks like a in house feed for the newsrooms / offices that was never encrypted.

WA doesn’t have it. I doubt it would use up as much space as a normal SD channel. Having said that, WIN would easily have room for a 4th channel.

500kbps is ideal for it with around 80kpbs audio but even the latter is overkill.

So, there’s heaps left over.

Every WIN region gets that channel, except maybe Griffith and South Australia whereby they also operate the Seven and Nine suite of channels as well. And possibly not Mildura either.

I very much doubt that it’s also on VAST (WA)

1 Like

:wink:

VAST is both a direct-to-home service and a backhaul for terrestrial transmitters in WA, so if terrestrial doesn’t have it then VAST doesn’t either, and vice versa.

3 Likes

i am just thinking if they can give the channel some purpose other than waste space

My guess is that it’s cheaper to run that channel instead of an IPTV feed to the offices. IIRC, there may have been something on LCN 50 in Geelong not that long ago to do with some live cam for an event, but totally unrelated to any network.

1 Like

It probably doesn’t take up much space at all…
It’s just a static picture and sound.
Maybe 1 Mbps… You couldn’t put a REAL channel in that space, except maybe if it was 144p resolution (lowest YouTube setting).

No, it does have a sound channel and has been used as a promo slide with a VO.

Northern NSW still has the static slide rather than the promo loop?

1 Like

I think only RQLD, RNSW and RVIC excl Mildura get ch83

Considering WIN used to carry a fourth channel they could easily do it again

Tas as well IIRC, ping @ando9185

Sounds interest, any more info?

You’re right, it’s now the promo loop.

But still, awful picture that you couldn’t use on a REAL channel.

Yep, is in Tas as well on 83 although I don’t see it much because it’s one of the WIN channels the Fetch box doesn’t pick up for some reason.

1 Like

i just think it would give the extra channel some purpose … at the moments its like building a room for the sake of it and having absolutely no purpose

It wouldn’t cost them very much at all to make.
Just a slideshow of promo pics and sound really…

They could reallocate that bandwidth back to other channels though, even though it would be small.

It’s something different though.

I remember reading it somewhere but can’t seem to find it.