Nine (WIN)

So WIN TV sent my work this today even thou WIN TV Tamworth (TEN Northern NSW) is still nowhere to be seen…

7 Likes

I suspect it wouldn’t have rated as well there if the solid blue monstrosity was on-screen instead of the Ten watermark.

7 Likes

Probably to your surprise, senior management share the same opinion as you. I worked at WIN for several years (until recently) and these strange unexplained decisions are made by Bruce Gordon (aka ‘the dinosaur’). Sadly, management (who I have great respect for) are too afraid to argue Bruce’s decisions in fear of putting their well-paying jobs in jeopardy (understandably).
No one has an explanation for those solid logos. They look absolutely shit and everyone, except Bruce, know it. It is Bruce’s personal preference and that is simply all there is to it – whatever he says goes (no known strategy behind it).
There are many talent staff at WIN with grand ideas to evolve the network into the 21st century but most ideas put forward by management are knocked back by Bruce.
The WIN brand will never evolve (or dissolve) whilst egotistic Bruce is running the place - plain and simple.

27 Likes

Bravo, well said

1 Like

As previously commented here, after the affiliation change to Ten the transparent WIN logo was a good size, etc. until Bruce decided to visit from Bermuda.

Good to hear there are people with a brain there trying to do the right things; shame the owner has no value to add but insists on leaving his mark (burned-in shitstains on TVs), and holding the network back in the past.

I don’t just wish someone ill but Bruce’s disrespect for viewers it making it difficult in his case. If only he’d step back from this petty interference.

2 Likes

some one should try and over through him . im sure he will slip up at one stage and then he will go :slight_smile:

Isn’t he the owner? Not a public company do unlikely to be overthrown.

2 Likes

“The dinosaur” needs to realise viewers have more choice than ever and won’t put up with that shit. Bruce is like the rich kid at school who had all the latest, most expensive toys with his name etched all over them and never allowed the other kids to fully enjoy them. You could look and admire but you couldn’t touch. That kid ended up with very few friends.

I don’t even check the guide to see what’s on the WIN stations when I’m in their broadcast areas (most weekends) because the viewing experience is ruined. When my brother in law watches reruns of MASH I leave the room. It annoys me that much.

I watched I’m a Celebrity last year but gave it a miss this year because I wouldn’t watch it on WIN during my holidays at the start of the year. I love Survivor and the new series looks promising but I’m tossing up whether I should bother because I’ll be in WIN territory for two weeks of the series run. There’s always Tenplay but I seldom have a positive experience with that service and I don’t fancy having the same freaking ad rammed down my throat at every opportunity. Ten is also losing viewers because of Bruce’s behaviour.

The net effect of this is that I now choose to watch the majority of my viewing via streaming services and I’m consuming very little Australian content. Ten years ago I’d be watching a couple of hours of television a night on Australian commercial television stations. These days I’d be lucky to watch that much in a week. Bruce’s business model is imploding and he’s too stupid to realise it. He chooses to exacerbate the problem by turning viewers off with oversized, solid logos. What’s even more laughable is that he thinks pouring billions down the toilet trying to acquire a metro network, whose best days are well and truly over, will solve the problem he has with paying too much for program supply.

12 Likes

good luck with that. He’s the sole owner of the company.

I’m sure Bruce wouldn’t care but ever since the solid marks have been on the only thing I have watched is the Big Bash. I found other ways to watch Masterchef with a nice Ten HD logo.

Bruce Gordon’s children, Andrew 46 and Genevieve 26, are the heirs apparent to WIN Corporation. Though they are already heavily involved with Andrew the executive chairman and Genevieve on the board. Have to wonder what will happen when they do eventually have full control.

5 Likes

hopefully change things :slight_smile: when they take over they should do a survey about what people want and go for there

I’ve heard that the ex-SCTen offices are being switched over from SCA’s IT ‘stuff’ (emails / connectivity etc) to WINs tomorrow

3 Likes

Probably with mandatory desktop backgrounds of the massive WIN logo.

8 Likes

And a smiling Bruce watermark every time they open a new email :wink:

2 Likes

The WIN website is now listing new addresses for WIN in Port Macquarie and the Gold Coast (as well as Newcastle which was previously noted as having moved into the building next door to SCA’s old Charlestown building). This means that Coffs Harbour is the only location where WIN are still sharing space with SCA.

Possible reasons for this are:
-WIN simply haven’t found space yet, or have found space but are yet to move (ie. will move soon).
-The old TV studios are big enough that both SCA and WIN can have separate spaces as no move is necessary.
-The TV studios were included in the sale and SCA will move out to new premises (which could take approx 12 months based on previous moves).

1 Like

Almost right, just not background, but overlay. Mappy is solid in-your-face, blocking you from seeing content behind it (like those stupid popup talking heads on an Android phone except you can’t turn mappy off!).

2 Likes

agreed

A bit like these - I assume there is a massive turn off from these programs because of the intrusive watermarks.

4 Likes

Yeah, while I dislike them, there are some differences:

• What you’ve shown are news programmes (or sort of/pretend to be), so that’s not 24x7, unlike mappy.
  • The top-left & bottom right of screen are more prominent, especially when there’s no other text/logos on-screen, so a huge, solid, starkly-coloured logo should be avoided in normal programming.

(PS: The top-left & bottom-right thing matches the way our eyes scan & we read, so I imagine it may be top-right & bottom-left for people who grew up with a language that flows in that direction.)

2 Likes