Nine (WIN)

Just saw the Amy Duggan promo explaining the launch. Gold is officially gone!

Looks good to me. You won’t miss gold as it’s just another shopping channel.

1 Like

Very interesting that Extra survives but Gold goes. I wonder what deal WIN made over that?

2 Likes

Probably one with Nine whereby they had to take Extra nationally.

WIN had to drop Gold 2 at the time to accomodate Extra, and seems like it now HAS to air Extra ahead of Gold.

1 Like

WA version:

5 Likes

Looks more akin to the nine metro line up of channels albet in a regional / remote area

Yeah it is. Still using MPEG-4 for 9Life as well. Took some bitrate readings earlier today. Pretty bad for the existing SD’s, but hopefully will improve over time and take advantage of not having to broadcast Gold.

WIN HD: 7.41 Mbps MPEG-4
WIN: 2.82 Mbps MPEG-2
Gem: 2.76 Mbps MPEG-2
Go!: 2.60 Mbps MPEG-2
Life: 3.34 Mbps MPEG-4
Extra: 537.60 Kbps MPEG-4

Gee, some of those bitrates are shocking.

Why is 9Life so much higher than the SD MPEG-2’s, when it’s already an MPEG-4 channel making it higher quality anyway?

Also, how does one go about bitrate testing? I’d love to try it out

Download TSReader Lite. Most BDA tuners are compatible.

http://www.coolstf.com/tsreader/TSReaderLite2.8.47c.exe (~30 MB)

1 Like

GEM aspect ratio issue aside, I think WIN have done well to roll out HD to all 20+ markets in this time.

1 Like

Now they can focus on hopefully sorting out their on-air presentation. It’s all over the shop. They’re usually very good at implementing the Nine look.

Hats off to WIN no doubt - local HD feeds to 20 markets. They have done great!

Seven
Prime7
Southern Cross Ten

no HD to be seen.

2 Likes

I see Bruce and Ten are in affiliation talks, but that could be Bruce putting the scare up nine… Who knows?

What? Undoing all the work of life and win HD? It would be a huge nightmare if that happens

TEN would be a cheaper deal and mabe more value. 9 has had its worst start to a ratings season this year under the current rating system I recently read. Everyone seems to leaving 9 lately is it a sinking ship? Bruce is savvy could be just a ploy would be stunned if he chose TEN over 9.

Well, Ten does have a HD channel (albeit with limited HD content at this stage) now.

While I’d be happy to be proven wrong, I somehow doubt that WIN would sign up an affiliation deal with Ten just yet. Would WIN really be that silly to cut their ties with Nine at the Winter peak for TV? Somehow I doubt it.

These sorts of rumours about a WIN/Ten and Nine/SCA partnerships have been going around for about three years now. If either regional network really wanted to change affiliations, surely they would’ve done it by now?

2 Likes

I think any affiliation switch would be tied in with a potential merger and also be dependent on media reforms being passed by Parliament this year.

1 Like

Something wrong with aspect ratios again. Gilmore Girls is zoomed in 16:9. Looks weird. WINGEM