WIN News

Correct

How differently, what is the ‘way the new operation is working with Nine and SCA’ as opposed to the way WIN works with TEN. You say differently, but don’t outline what this is, can you be more specific.

@2tribesmedia

WIN and Ten’s news operations run completely independently. They don’t share staff, resources, talent, facilities, Costs, branding, overheads, technology, marketing - nothing.

Where as Nine and SCA’s arrangement is - They are sharing branding, facilities, talent, content, resources, staff, studio space, marketing.

Whilst we don’t know the specifics - when Nine got SCA to agree to 50% of ad revenue (above the 35% deal WIN had)clearly there was an agreement that nine absorb the cost of running this whole regional news effort.

Sca is paying for local news In 15 cities via a considerable affiliation fee hike. And nine is paying via giving up a chunk or this revenue to produce and run 15 news bulletins on stations it doesn’t own

Of course if they rate well, nine will get 50% of the ad revenue

That is a pretty solid joint venture. Very close. Insanely close.

The arrangement between ten and WIN extends to ten using WIN footage if something big happens in cairns

4 Likes

But the thing about this is, i think WIN execs are fully aware that their bulletins are likely to drop in ratings and will take the opportunity to save cash by axing their local news bulletins and blaming Nine for it.
We all know WIN hate Nine, and that WIN have complained before about the costs of them producing local news bulletins.
It’s likely they can see a way out up ahead and will move straight for it, I reckon.

5 Likes

Wait for the changes in media laws . . . interestingly this will level the playing field

Sure, but WIN haven’t tried anything else. They haven’t tried forging the same kinds of bonds that Nine and SCA have.

If WIN want a shot at staying relevant for the next decade, they need to realise that local news is important. WIN execs can blame their failure to adapt on anything they want, the fact is WIN losing Nine was the biggest mistake they made, because now Nine is paired with an affiliate which actually wants to use Nine’s resources to get ahead.

2 Likes

Your assumption is not quite right. Video, library and camera crew resources are regularly shared between TEN & WIN now. I can say this is particularly the case in QLD where WIN has a strong regional presence. The traffic of raw news feeds both ways each day is significant.

As for other resources - the affiliation has only been in place 6 months, so decisions around other aspects probably won’t be rushed. Remembering of course they are separate companies re: sales and TEN operates through MCN. WIN News is also its own established branded operation, while SCA is building from a much lower base. So it makes sense to choose the more established 9 brand.

In terms of ratings, a new timeslot will always take viewers some time. Be patient. The same will be said for 9 when regional viewers no longer see Pete, Hitch or Andrew & Melissa. That will take some getting used to.

Also Re: ratings… You would of course be aware that WIN News Canberra (according to Fairfax) has claimed the month of October over the 6pm news bulletins from Sydney produced by 7&9.

I loved working for WIN Canberra and remember how much work went into producing 30mins of local content. Back then we had 6-8 journos - then camera/edit staff on top. That was one market.

My point is, I’m really interested to learn more about the proposed 9 local format because 80 staff spread across 15 bulletins suggests there will be some very very busy journos and vj’s out there. (don’t get me wrong also - more regional news jobs are excellent and 9 + SCA should be absolutely applauded.) It will be another great development opportunity for journos and personally I think competition can be a good thing.

20 Likes

The fact they haven’t tried anything else yet at all just says to me that they’re close to giving up already.

If axing the local news bulletins when the opportunity arises is in the pipeline, then there’s no point trying anything else.

2 Likes

[quote=“NQCQTV2, post:1156, topic:214, full:true”]The fact they haven’t tried anything else yet at all just says to me that they’re close to giving up already.

If axing the local news bulletins when the opportunity arises is in the pipeline, then there’s no point trying anything else.
[/quote]The Tas weekend bulletins will be the next thing on the chopping block real soon I reckon. I’d imagine the figures for them would be really dire still at 5.30pm.

I think they’re just playing the waiting game to be honest…

…using Nine News’ theme music and taking cue from Nine’s graphical styles…

1 Like

That is definitely true. Hopefully something they do look at - I was more suggesting that id expect it to remain ‘WIN News’ as opposed to becoming some form of ‘TEN local’.
But all that stuff is discussed between Wollongong and Sydney so I’d have no idea really! :+1:

5 Likes

@lachlan_kennedy Other than sharing some file vision when something in a WIN area occurs of national interest, how else do WIN News and Ten News work together?

1 Like

Besides file & general news video sharing… a common example is that TEN conducts interviews and simsats w/ regional politicians when they are in their capital city based Parliaments during sitting weeks. Same goes for the reverse when Ministers are touring regional areas and there is not a pool established. Same goes for sport of course … I.e the NQ Cowboys.

It doesn’t have to be of national significance - but more regularly state significance.

Journos between the networks do work together and provide contacts / leads / info for particular stories. I was in regular contact with WIN Toowoomba recently when I filed a series in Oakey. Producers & COS’s are also in constant contact.

WIN offices also provide network feed points when TEN journos are deployed in that region. Really these are the basics of news gathering, so it’s a great partnership (that is still very young). I’m sure it will be further developed over time.

12 Likes

I just don’t think WIN are in a timeslot to offer a news service that is viable for viewers. The offering from Prime/7 is a split news hour, Nine’s offering will be a composite hour - both from 6pm and both completed in an hour.

WIN on the other hand ask that you watch an hour and a half from 5pm.

I just don’t think that’s a format they can survive with against new competition, especially in markets where there will be three way competition.

Ten producing half hour 6:30 bulletins for WIN would at least allow them to be a self contained hour like the others, which would at least give them a chance.

3 Likes

No different than asking viewers to watch an hour and a half of news and current affairs (Nine News and ACA) at 6pm, except there are more viewers in the later timeslot.

1 Like

It’s very different - you don’t miss out on news by missing ACA (indeed it has the opposite effect) - but if you want to get your news from WIN you need to watch it an hour earlier, and watch for half an hour longer.

Sure, WIN were an hour and a half for a while with the Nine affiliation too - and I think that played a part in how much they were slipping behind Prime/7 in markets where they compete. Being longer and earlier is even tougher.

1 Like

Some caps of WIN News Tas from 1997 with John Remess, Mark Thomas and Penny Tame (unfortunately no opener and full weather graphics are missing).

3 Likes

Updated signage on the Maroochydore studios now features The Project.

11 Likes

@lachlan_kennedy

I think, what I am getting at - is 9 News’ new composite bulletins, and the way NBN, 9 Darwin, SC Tasmania etc do the news (that is a composite bulletin) is the way WIN needs to be heading (and Prime7, and probably 7 QLD too)

6pm is a big turn on time for TV. The people with the set on doubles between 5.30 and 6. WIN is going to be at a real disadvantage when their main competitor (Nine) can lead with Trump, NZ earthquakes, NSW bushfires, Dreamworld etc - and WIN’s lead story is Bunnings opening a new store or a crash on the Warrego Highway. And then (unlike Prime7 or 7 QLD) there is no “national” news at 630 - just the project, which is panel/comedy/news.

These WIN bulletins pre taped hours before are slow, dull, have no live news - and I think they are at a disadvvange having no state, national and international news. Even now on local newspaper websites - you get state, national and international news. The idea of not putting it all in one bulletin just seems dated. The way people consume news has changed now.

I think WIN would be a lot better re-imaging the news, working with Ten to have state national and international news, using Ten reporters still on scene from 5pm, and sharing content and resources with Ten.

Move to a 4 live newscasts at 6 (QLD, SNSW, VIC, TAS) with local windows. Content can be shares, resources shared, marketing costs shared. Realistically as the #3 network the economics will not be there for WIN to sustain 15 entirely local newscasts. Already we are getting “filler” stories that are not local. I think it’s better to use that time for NZ quake, Trump, NSW politics etc, and have a 6 minute local window.

6 Likes

6 mins covers LCLC does it?