WIN News

Don’t encourage them. If Ten don’t start bringing any ideas to the table for a fourth channel, regional viewers might find themselves with WIN News 84 :expressionless:

Looking at both WIN’s TV Guide and the Yahoo7 one, it seems to be a new permanent thing?
Replacing 2 x Get Smart in that timeslot

1 Like

Well, if that’s the case, WIN should start a 24-hour news channel (on vacant LCN 83) consisting of straight reruns of all of their regional news services (obviously they’ll have to be repeated serveral times over!) :scream::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Riverina promos

3 Likes

Montage

5 Likes

As I’m sure you know by now, I was down South for a few days and managed to catch WIN News Illawarra. Here’s my review…

*Geoff Phillips might be a local media legend, but he’s perhaps a little too cheerful (not Belinda Russell-levels mind you, but still) in his presenting style at times IMO.

*Jared Constable was a decent fill-in Sports presenter from what I saw on Thursday/Friday night. Regular sports presenter Amy Duggan was a fine presenter too, from what I saw of her last night.

*Content was OK, although perhaps too Wollongong/Nowra-centric. Sure, I get that the Wollongong/Nowra region is the bulk of the population of this bulletin/coverage area but judging by the bulletins I saw, it would be rather hard to imagine many places further down the South Coast (like Ulladulla, near where I was staying) getting all that much relevant info outside a mention during the Weather most of the time.

*Presentation definitely needs to be more Ten Eyewitness News-esque. It’s like WIN gave up after changing the promo graphics, supers and full screen graphics.

*I wonder why some of the promos are (partially) in native HD while others are in upconverted SD? Speaking of the promos, one that aired yesterday previewing the cruise ship arriving in Port Kembla coverage: How to make an exciting major local news event seem boring?!

And yes, I did manage to capture some stuff (including a Riverina update which mistakenly aired on WIN South Coast last night) - I’ll try and have it up soon enough! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yes, I saw that on WIN Illawarra last night at around 9pm during an ad-break of HYBPA. :slight_smile:

Off-Topic, I guess it’s safe to assume that WIN South Coast is very much a direct relay of WIN Illawarra, complete with the same local ads from mainly Wollongong/Nowra.

1 Like

They’ve had them on the SCA stations in Shepparton and Albury for a couple of months, and presumably other areas as well. They seem to air more in the afternoon on weekdays I think - which would make sense being the lead up to when the news is on.

Prime7 and Nine stations are absolutely thrashing Win/Ten stations in the AM

From a Prime7 press release:

Of the total audience watching the commercial primary channels between 5.30am – 9.00am Monday to Friday across regional NSW and Victoria, 50.3% prefer Sunrise over the Today program (46.9%).
In the same timeslot, the Ten Affiliates only attracted a 2.8% audience share.

a 2.8% share? Damn.

Why on earth isn’t Win doing SOMETHING, ANYTHING to at least adapt All Australian News to SOME sort of a morning program suitable to the timeslot. Whilst it will never be a full blown morning show - my gosh - look at your market share, look at the clock that says 7am, look at the format of All Australian news - and do SOMETHING to at least try and adapt it to the timeslot it is in.

• Change the title, look and feel of the show to look and feel like a morning show “WIN MORNING NEWS” etc
  • Add a second host so there can be banter
  • Add a clock, weather flipper, ticker
  • Broadcast the show live from 7am - 8.30am

Rely on the content for WIN NEWS to be cost effective, for filed reports. You don’t need live crosses. But have live national news headlines every 15 minutes. national news in the ticker. have hosts can’t about the stories. Have lots of local weather. Preview the days events. Brighten the show up.

<My god - you know - actually try and produce some television.

WIN News is dying - at 6 - and at 730am - and they are doing nothing to try and improve or adapt the formats.

3 Likes

Why are you surprised WIN is being murdered by two established breakfast shows in that slot? While I agree that if you’re going to provide an alternative you better do it well, clearly there’s not the demand for it at that time slot. We all know how much you love hyper local news, but surely you can see it’s impossible to make inroads in that slot. They’d be better off focusing their attentions on their primary broadcast.

4 Likes

If the ABC, SBS and multichannels are included that breakfast share would be miniscule, wouldn’t it?

I think there is opportunity for WIN to improve in the AM. Sunrise and Today both pull about 200,000 viewers outside the Top 5 metro markets. That is close to half a million people watching breakfast TV shows in regional areas. And recent charts issued by Free Tv shows that live TV viewing has two massive peaks - 730am and 730pm. There is opportunity for WIN to grow it’s audience in the timeslot. And real opportunity to provide something different to the celeb / youtube / cash cow driven formats of Today and Sunrise.

I don’t see it as impossible at all. By scheduling AAN at 7am in place of ET etc, WIN clearly see that it’s a timeslot suited to news viewing habits. If you are going to schedule a news bulletin there - at least put some effort / thought and strategy into the format. And the title of the show.

Viewing figures are much higher at 7am than 12pm on One or 11.30pm on WIN. So I think WIN would be much better off making the 7am run of AAN the “first run” broadcast.

Honestly, the things I’m suggesting are not complex or overly ambitious. They are common sense. There is opportunity to grow that share.

It’s easy to suggest WIN can do this because they produce AAN. But AAN is literally a montage of news stories, probably clipped together by one person. It would require little to no expenditure to produce. WIN’s resources have been trimmed to the bare minimum to benefit their prime time local news. Anything beyond that is risky and requires money. WIN didn’t enter into an agreement with Ten to spend more money.

No. WIN see it as a reasonably placed dumping ground to clock up local content points.

7 Likes

And for presenters, footage from something called “All Australian News” probably looks good in a showreel!

Aside from that, I agree that AAN doesn’t really serve much of a purpose than to clock up those local content points.

The other side of the coin is that WIN would probably have to cut back on primetime local news expenditure (ie- axing most or all local news bulletins) to produce a networked breakfast show. Counterproductive?

1 Like

Point of order, WIN’s encore edition of AAN on weekday mornings provides only 30 mins of additional Aust’n made content compared to the Network Ten schedule. Anyway this point is not significant as Ten (as an Aust’n broadcaster) naturally already delivers the Aust’n made quota required.

Cut back further you mean!

Not counting any 2 minute updates:

• There is no WIN News in Western Australia
  • There is no WIN News in South Australia (neither Riverland or Mt Gambier)
  • There is no WIN News in Mackay
  • There is no WIN News in Mildura
  • WIN News Tasmania has had its format changed recently

Viewers in the Riverland/Mt Gambier and Mildura have no local news bulletins (again excluding 2 minute updates) - in WIN SA territory, viewers get the news bulletins that each Adelaide network (7, 9, 10) deliver and much the same for Mildura (no local news bulletin on Prime either)

I don’t see WIN spending any more money than they have to. A morning show that isn’t pre recorded may simply be too much. I think we will see more consolidating of WIN News bulletins before we see a morning show of some sort, but I could be wrong.

5 Likes

Montage of Monday night’s Illawarra bulletin:

“Tonight” Promo/Update, primarily focusing on the cruise ship at Port Kembla coverage:

An example of one of the generic promos. There’s versions with different footage (I think I saw about four variations while I was down South) but the basic template is otherwise exactly the same:

Early Evening News Lineup Promo, which I think has been used since around the time of the affiliation switch (and probably should be updated because Carrie Bickmore has since changed her hair colour!) :

More WIN News clips I managed to record can be found on SydneyCityTV Videos.

2 Likes

According to The Canberra Times article about the launch of SC9’s new local bulletins, WIN News won the 6pm timeslot in Canberra throughout October ahead of Nine News & Seven News.

Source: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/win-news-to-face-canberra-ratings-battle-as-nine-launches-15-regional-news-bulletins-20161106-gsj79r.html

I reckon eventually WIN will merge with Ten and all these regional bulletins will be axed, especially if Nine News regional bulletins are a success.

6 Likes

That Canberra Times article refers to Seven News as “Seven Nightly News” - well over 15 years since that brand was axed?!

I completely agree. If SCA Nine’s new regional news services are a success, then I don’t think that it will be all that long until WIN axes all (or at least most) of their local news bulletins.

As far as possible presenters are concerned, it’s to my understanding that there’s someone currently in Nine’s Sydney newsroom (very occasionally seen on-air these days) who used to be part of WIN News in both Canberra & the Illawarra. Could that person be a possible option for SCA Nine’s new news service?

3 Likes