WIN News

You could substitute WIN News for most news organisations in this country

1 Like

I’ll be as blunt as to say local news viewers brought this on themselves - they watched the new statewide Nine News “Local” more than they watched WIN by all accounts. It’s that simple. Viewers when given the choice, chose less local news.

How much can you blame WIN for this decision when viewers themselves made the exact same one, and accepted Nine’s downgraded service.

Sucks for all the journalists - especially the dual blow of this after Nine Local’s own cuts and then axing, but probably this is a smaller cut than had WIN maintained the Ten affiliation, which I can imagine would look exactly like what SC are now doing.

17 Likes

No problem, just listened to your interview and yes, it’s pretty clear we’re on the same page. Who’s the interviewer, name is on the tip of my tongue and its doing my head in!

2 Likes

iam sorry to what i said to you last night

All good, nothing wrong with a bit of passion for regional news.

2 Likes

The cuts are making this harder now as-well. Having 1 VJ file for social, online, digital, and on television would be pretty stressful - assuming they will be required to produce atleast 3 stories for the bulletin.

4 Likes

7 and 9 seem to have a decent enough presence in the online market. WIN doesn’t just have a poor presence, it has no presence. They can’t moan about online competition when they’ve ignored the medium completely themselves. If anything in most countries hyper local news sites have been one of the strongest areas of growth within the industry.

1 Like

Same haha…Simon something? The afternoons guy on ABC Victoria

10 Likes

But there’s a difference between video journos pumping out an occasional online video, and actually being out there generating daily news.

1 Like

Unlike the weak-kneed ACMA, the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications and the Department of Finance probably would be prepared to take serious action against WIN Corporation.

4 Likes

The radio report.

2 Likes

so what do we think the outcome might be??? win forced to change there plans and not have statewide news or be foreced to hand it back???

The latter or part thereof.

if it was the later or part there off , what would happned to the news ???

Go ahead as pdlanned with the reduction in local reporters and camera operators. Best case in myind would be a delay, but unlikely given the announcement.

i think win might be told to either scrap the plan of statewide news if they want to keep the grant or give it back and continue as planned

So much for Save Our Voices

EDIT: I received this message from Bruce Roberts a couple of years ago when working on a presentation about the importance of local regional media. I think it pretty much sums up what everyone is feeling right now.

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 12.21.55 am

1 Like

Actually, what is being played out is exactly was said would happen.

Status quo doesn’t last forever in a declining situation.

I don’t think the lack of a particularly strong online/social media presence has helped WIN and other regional news services either.

Sure, just about all the regional networks have social media accounts and possibly a basic website where news report video is posted. But compared to the efforts being made by ABC/Seven/Nine News in the digital space, regional TV news’ presence on the internet hasn’t evolved as much in recent years as it should’ve IMO.

1 Like