Wide World of Sports (formerly Sports Sunday)

Today, I think was the Last Sports Sunday for 2020 as well as the last studio production at TCN-9 Original Willoughby Studios ending 64 Years of Production there.

2 Likes

Yes, today’s edition of sports sunday was the last episode for the year. They had a “sports in review” clip towards the end of the show.

At the end of the show, Peter Fitzimmons acknowledged that the show will be at the new studios next year, and jokingly saying “bulldozers are waiting for the show to finish so they can knock down the studios”.

4 Likes

James Bracey has beem a good host this year. They have covered alot of things this year. I hope the show does return next year

4 Likes

Nine have renamed the Facebook page to ‘Rugby Sports Sunday’.

1 Like

Do they think a Rugby specific sports show is better than a general one?

I’d rather watch one that covered all sports and news, they could have made another show entirely just for rugby coverage.

4 Likes

It appears that page hasn’t been used for over 2 years, unless Nine deleted a bunch of non union and league posts?

1 Like

I’d say that it probably just hasn’t been used, fragmenting their audience across multiple Facebook pages doesn’t make sense when they can just easily use the WWOS one which has over 750k vs a measly 13k.

4 Likes

Sports Sunday should be a generic sports show. Like it always has been.

Not sure why Rugby was added to this shows Facebook page. Unless a Rugby highlights show will also be airing on Nine in 2021, alongside the normal Sports Sunday show?

1 Like

It’s now been renamed again to: ‘Rugby on Nine’

1 Like

Could a rugby union show take over the Sports Sunday timeslot during the Super Rugby season?

1 Like

Probably because you can’t change a Facebook page name too dissimilar to its original name, so they slowly transitioned it’s name. As I suspected when the original name was changed.

I find it highly unlikely that Ch9 would get rid of Sports Sunday in favour of a weekly rugby show in that time slot. Rugby doesn’t rate, a show about it definitely wouldn’t.

3 Likes

Pretty simple really.

This facebook change allows them to push content out from rugby coverage on social and use rugby specific stories (like they do with netball and rugby league with their respective social channels).

They’ve probably figured they don’t need a page for Sport Sunday (13k) and can just utilise the WWOS (756k) page for any Sport Sunday content. While at the same time growing a new rugby community.

Nothing to do with the on air product.

5 Likes

Correct. Convert pages (with likes/followers) for new things when you don’t need them. It gives them a head start, and also getting into people’s following lists and feeds without them knowing, potentially getting more viewers, etc.

1 Like

Sports Sunday returns to our screens this Sunday at 10am - as its normal generic sports-panel show. Is James Bracey returning as host?

Not sure what is currently happening to the facebook page (re discussion over the last few posts here).

2 Likes

I’d assume Bracey will return as host given there’s been no announcement on any changes.

Facebook and Twitter pages weren’t used for a couple of years for the show, and now seem to be dedicated accounts for Nine’s Rugby coverage.

2 Likes

Used the new WWOS set today plus the additional soft couch set for WWOS as well. Looked good.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Set looks great. Shame what Today ended up with wasn’t as nice.

4 Likes

Is there a reason Today ended up with the news studio set and not this one?

1 Like

A great looking set

3 Likes