Who Do You Think You Are?

Season 9 features: Natalie Imbruglia, John Jarratt and Ernie Dingo, Charlie Teo, Patti Newton, Justine Clarke, Noni Hazlehurst, Todd McKenney.

1 Like

Noni Hazlehurst, Patti Newton, Todd McKenney and Justine Clarke join Charlie Teo, Natalie Imbruglia, Ernie Dingo and John Jarratt in new season of Who Do You Think You Are?

From Tuesday 17 April at 7.30pm

Join eight of Australia’s most familiar faces as they trace back their ancestry to figure out who they really are.

Noni Hazlehurst, Patti Newton, Todd McKenney and Justine Clarke join the season nine cast of the celebrated genealogy series Who Do You Think You Are? which investigates the ancestry of prominent Australians. The all-new eight-part series, also starring Charlie Teo, John Jarratt, Ernie Dingo and Natalie Imbruglia, premieres on SBS on Tuesday 17 April, 7.30 pm.

High-profile personalities hunt through global archives to uncover the stories of their ancestor’s pasts and piece together their own family tree. As the family histories of these outstanding Australians unfold, a rare insight into their lives behind the cameras, off-stage and outside of the operating room emerges.

The stories in season nine of Who Do You Think You Are? uncover surprising and unlikely tales of child stars performing in 19th Century India, working class heroes fighting battles against Napoleon and how the fall of the iron curtain divided a family. One performer discovers stories of romance and heartbreak in her family of travelling acrobats, while another’s unknown ties to Chinese ancestry is revealed, and another participant is shocked to learn of a dark family secret involving infanticide.

As the trail of their ancestry takes the eight Australian celebrities around the world to Belarus, Russia, Singapore, Malaysia, the UK, and closer to home in Norfolk Island and all around Australia, these emotional tales reflect the diversity of Australia and our evolution into the cultural melting pot of today.

Who Do You Think You Are? discovers the unknown ancestry of eight well-known Australian personalities, and in turn the multicultural identity that continues to define Australia.

Who Do You Think You Are? is produced by Warner Bros. International Television Production Australia for SBS.

BROADCAST SCHEDULE:

Episode 1 Tuesday 17 April Noni Hazlehurst

Episode 2 Tuesday 24 April Charlie Teo

Episode 3 Tuesday 1 May Natalie Imbruglia

Episode 4 Tuesday 8 May John Jarratt

Episode 5 Tuesday 15 May Justine Clarke

Episode 6 Tuesday 22 May Todd McKenney

Episode 7 Tuesday 29 May Ernie Dingo

Episode 8 Tuesday 5 June Patti Newton

Brilliant first episode with Noni tonight.

Is this the first season produced by Warner Bros International Television? They seem to be producing a lot these days in Australia.

No, Warner Bros International Television produced season 8 which aired in 2016. When WB made the decision to take back the production at the time, I was disappointed that the original production company Artemis International did not get any acknowledgment for its work making the first seven seasons.

Just found out that they are currently filming another season of Who Do You Think You Are? Good to see they’re not delaying it this time and bringing it back next year. It’s easily their most successful show.

1 Like

Can’t wait for more of this.

So now we know why there was sudden talk of Scott Cam’s heritage in the media recently. It must have come about with the filming of this series.

Who’s who in ‘Who Do You Think You Are?’ Season 10

From Tuesday 30 April at 7:30pm

The new season of this landmark series is an intimate journey into the lives of some of Australia’s favourite personalities.

cott Cam, Dr Karl Kruszelnicki, Casey Donovan, Marta Dusseldorp, Kurt Fearnley, Roger Corser, Jennifer Byrne and Kerri-Anne Kennerley will each go on a journey to discover their ancestry, in Who Do You Think You Are?. The new season premieres on SBS on Tuesday 30 April at 7.30pm.

• “Coming on this journey has really opened my eyes and my heart and it’s lifted a weight. It makes me feel like I belong” – Casey Donovan
  • “I’m just a knock about chippie… it would be bloody nice if we found some royalty!” – Scott Cam
  • I feel a lot more anchored now that I know about my ancestors and I can now appreciate why my parents were the way they were" – Dr Karl Kruszelnicki

2019 marks the 10th anniversary of the celebrated genealogy series and this season’s batch of high-profile Australians will trace their family history through global archives to piece together their family trees. Through these journeys, a rare insight into their lives behind the cameras and off the racing track emerges.

From Shanghai to Ukraine, and beyond, these eight Australians travel to parts of the world they’ve never been to in an attempt to uncover the histories that are both personal and universal. While one of the cast is shocked to discover they directly descend from English Kings, another traces lost Italian roots. One learns about heroic wartime adventures and another gets insights into their Indigenous history.

Old wounds are healed, fighting spirits centuries old are uncovered and family secrets never explained are finally understood in this emotional and intimate new series of Who Do You Think You Are?

Who Do You Think You Are? is produced by Warner Bros. International Television Production Australia for SBS.

The series airs at 7.30pm Tuesdays on SBS, starting 30 April and at SBS On Demand.

Season 10 Episode Guide

Episode 1 Tuesday 30 April Scott Cam

Episode 2 Tuesday 7 May Jennifer Byrne

Episode 3 Tuesday 14 May Marta Dusseldorp

Episode 4 Tuesday 21 May Dr Karl Kruszelnicki

Episode 5 Tuesday 28 May Casey Donovan

Episode 6 Tuesday 4 June Kurt Fearnley

Episode 7 Tuesday 11 June Kerri-Anne Kennerley

Episode 8 Tuesday 18 June Roger Corser

1 Like

Season 10 is coming but I haven’t caught up with season 9 yet. I wasn’t able to record the show on Fetch as it was on the same time as House Rules and MasterChef (and it will again be the case from episode 2 or 3 for season 10) and I watched MasterChef and recorded HR. It’s more difficult now that I have to create an account in order to see season 9 on SBS on Demand. I hope season 9 will be repeated later this year.

But you can record three different channels at the same time on Fetch can’t you?

Fetch Mighty comes with 4 tuners. You can record 3 and watch one. Then in each of those 3 tuners you can record 2 channels

I have an older style Fetch STB instead of Fetch Mighty, meaning I can only watch one and record one.

Oh, I see.

SBS are currently showing repeats at 3pm on Tuesdays. Today was Luke Nguyen from Season 7. If they keep going, they may show Season 8 soon and then Season 9.

1 Like

Next week 7 May

Jennifer Byrne

2 Likes

Caught with the new season premiere (Scott Cam) tonight. Great episode but the product placement that Scott took an Ancestry DNA test was annoying. Amazing discovery that Caminiti’s name (on Scott’s father’s side) went for at least ten generations and 500 years. Plus the episode busted the rumour that his mother’s ancestors had a Gypsy background.

It was. However, aren’t you guilty of often listing the sponsors (and product placement) in reality shows here?

1 Like

When Noni Hazlehurst was interviewed on The Project for Every Family Has A Secret, Magda Szubanski mentioned they had both been on Who Do You Think You Are and that Lisa Wilkinson has just done it.

So Lisa Wilkinson will be part of the next season.

SBS is showing repeats from next Tuesday (July 23), starting with David Wenham from season 4.
Meanwhile, Harry Potter star Daniel Radcliffe features in the new season of the BBC series, which premieres next Monday.

Noni Hazlehurst repeat is on Sunday 21 July.

Tuesday 30 July -

A retrospective special featuring 40 of Australia’s most loved celebrities who have appeared on this show.

Looks like SBS is repeating season 9 on 7.30pm Sundays, this week is Charlie Teo which was episode 2 of the season. Gives me an opportunity to tape it on PVR rather than catching up online.

Confirmed by SBS at its 2020 upfronts. Also featuring in season 11 are Troy Cassar-Daley and Bert Newton with more names to come. Patti Newton appeared on the final episode of season 9.

UPDATE 20/4: the complete line-up for season 11 include Lisa Wilkinson, Troy Cassar-Daley, Bert Newton, former Foreign Minister Julie Bishop, Kat Stewart, Cameron Daddo, Denise Scott and Lisa Curry. It premieres on Tuesday, May 19 at 7.30pm.