Who Do You Think You Are?

Julia Morris, Peter Garrett, Delta Goodrem and Rachel Griffiths join the cast of the new season of Who Do You Think You Are?
New season begins Tuesday, 13 September, 7.30pm on SBS

Join eight much-loved Australians for an emotional journey of surprising self-discovery, as they find out who they are. Julia Morris, Peter Garrett, Delta Goodrem, Rachel Griffiths and Mal Meninga join the cast for season eight of the celebrated genealogy series Who Do You Think You Are? which delves into the ancestry of prominent Australians.
This all-new eight part season, also starring Jane Turner, Shane Jacobson and John Newcombe, sees eight of Australia’s most respected and recognisable faces follow the trail of their own
ancestors, striving to make sense of the present by connecting with their family’s past. It’s also a rarely seen and unique insight into the personal family lives and pasts of these famous faces revealing them as ordinary sons, daughters and parents.
These prominent Australians trace their genealogy to astonishing and unexpected locations both here and abroad. Along the way, tales of triumph and tragedy are uncovered including heart-stopping and intriguing stories that involve slavery, kidnapping, cannibalism and the IRA. One celebrity finds family connections they didn’t know existed and another applauds their racy relative’s courage.
The series reflects the countless different paths that led the way to modern Australia, with tales from the grandeur of the Prussian court to the swelter of Pacific Islands, via the midnight sun in Scandinavia and the vaults of the Bank of England. The illustrious protagonists learn of the sacrifices their forebears made, overcoming hurdles and heartbreak to allow their offspring to shine and
help make up the proud patchwork of diversity that is Australia in the 21st century.
Who Do You Think You Are? is a fascinating chronicle of the social, ethnic and cultural evolution of Australia and these emotional and personal stories reveal a bigger picture of Australia’s diverse national identity and how Australians have become the people they are today.
Who Do You Think You Are? is produced by Warner Bros. International Television Production Australia for SBS.

You can watch a sneak peek here
Interesting that Warner Bros. has taken over production of the show (similar to The Bachelor/ette on Ten) after Perth-based Artemis International produced the first seven seasons. WB produces the original UK version and licenses the format internationally.

According to advanced guide at SBS portal, the first episode of the new season will feature Julia Morris.
There is also a behind the scene special featuring exclusive, never-seen-before interviews with celebrities who took part in seasons 1-6. This airs September 6 at 7.30pm on SBS.
SBS has also added individual episode promos of season 8 to the program’s website

Who Do You Think You Are? Australia

One hour special Tuesday 6 September at 7.30pm

New Series Tuesday 13 September

“Interestingly, I think the program really impacted on my coming out actually . . . seeing the example of my Grandparents who risked everything to hide Jewish people in the war in Poland, it just left me with this sense of, I’m made of them and I have to do the right thing . . .” - Magda Szubanski

“What is great about the show is… I think that it tells so many beautiful, heart-breaking, funny stories about who we are as a people, the tribe that we are… that we have made here… I think that’s a great gift.” - Richard Roxburgh

Who Do You Think You Are? Australia is a candid one hour retrospective special featuring forty of Australia’s most-loved celebrities and many favourite moments from the series’ ten year history.

Who Do You Think You Are? Australia features exclusive, never-seen-before interviews with leading Australian faces and highlights of the hit history series to reveal the life-changing impact the show had on its high profile participants. It also uncovers the rich, surprising and moving immigration tapestry of Australia’s past.

The program will air on Tuesday 6th September at 7.30pm on SBS before delving into the brand new series of Who Do You Think You Are? beginning Tuesday 13 September. Catch the best moments of this award-winning genealogical series combined with revealing insights on what it was like to take part in the show from Adam Hills, Magda Szubanski, Adam Goodes, Richard Roxburgh, Kerry O’Brien, Tina Arena, Maggie Beer and Vince Colosimo.

Who Do You Think You Are? has been a smash hit on Australian TV for almost a decade. This one hour special features highlights from 40 episodes from Who Do You Think You Are? series 1-6 and uncovers the life changing impact the show had on its famous participants.

“Something definitely, definitely shifted in me because of the journey; it enabled me to answer those questions that I really wanted answered.” - Tina Arena

The Australian series of Who Do You Think You Are? has delivered 48 exceptional stories, now available on SBS On Demand, since it first launched on SBS in January 2008. It has won critical acclaim, achieved record breaking ratings for the network and ignited a passion for family history. Now for the first time some participants speak about what it was like to take part, revealing powerful emotions and reactions that will surprise and delight.

“To go on the journey with ‘Who Do You Think You Are?’ really opened me up to my culture . . . it just makes such a difference to who I am as a person.” Adam Goodes

“It did make me quite angry . . . for my Grandmother who had to sit there and sit through this and be told no, you’re not good enough – go away, learn some English and come back.” Vince Colosimo

SBS has revealed the episode order for season 8.
Tuesday 13 September – Julia Morris
Tuesday 20 September – Peter Garrett
Tuesday 27 September – Delta Goodrem
Tuesday 4 October – Mal Meninga
Tuesday 11 October – Rachel Griffiths
Tuesday 18 October – Shane Jacobson
Tuesday 25 October – Jane Turner
Tuesday 1 November – John Newcombe

Just saw Julia Morris’s episode on catch-up. The researchers did a great job revealing the stories behind Julia’s great grandfather Percy McCauley (who was private secretary to NSW Premier of the 1920s, Jack Lang) and her grandfather Patrick O’Halloran who was part of the Australian chapter of Irish Republican Brotherhood which was involved in the 1916 Easter Rising. They even went to great lengths to re-create a letter which, when read above the candle, revealed a secret list of IRB members in Australia on the other side of the paper.

SBS has renewed the show for a 9th season in 2018. Personalities to be involved include Charlie Teo, Natalie Imbruglia, John Jarratt and Ernie Dingo.

SBS doing some weird scheduling with the UK version of “Who Do You Think You Are?”.

The series has been running on Tuesday nights at 7.30pm on SBS but they are also screening other episodes in that season in the daytime on Wednesday.

I assume it’s because those celebrities are not well known in Australia. Seems stupid though because it’s more about the stories than the celebrity themselves. The recent Cheryl Cole episode screened at night was as boring as hell while the Liz Bonnin episode from daytime was so much more interesting since her parents came from Trinidad via France. Her heritage was a lot more interesting with Indian, French and African heritage.

Luckily the daytime screenings were picked up on Series Record on my PVR. SBS is letting viewers down with this scheduling.

2 Likes

Herald Sun has a story about Patti Newton making a grisly discovery in her family tree. Any news out there on who else is in this season or when it starts?

Season 9 starts Tuesday April 17 at 7.30pm as posted on SBS main channel thread.

I hope the mods don’t mind me posting the link here too.

1 Like

Season 9 features: Natalie Imbruglia, John Jarratt and Ernie Dingo, Charlie Teo, Patti Newton, Justine Clarke, Noni Hazlehurst, Todd McKenney.

1 Like

Noni Hazlehurst, Patti Newton, Todd McKenney and Justine Clarke join Charlie Teo, Natalie Imbruglia, Ernie Dingo and John Jarratt in new season of Who Do You Think You Are?

From Tuesday 17 April at 7.30pm

Join eight of Australia’s most familiar faces as they trace back their ancestry to figure out who they really are.

Noni Hazlehurst, Patti Newton, Todd McKenney and Justine Clarke join the season nine cast of the celebrated genealogy series Who Do You Think You Are? which investigates the ancestry of prominent Australians. The all-new eight-part series, also starring Charlie Teo, John Jarratt, Ernie Dingo and Natalie Imbruglia, premieres on SBS on Tuesday 17 April, 7.30 pm.

High-profile personalities hunt through global archives to uncover the stories of their ancestor’s pasts and piece together their own family tree. As the family histories of these outstanding Australians unfold, a rare insight into their lives behind the cameras, off-stage and outside of the operating room emerges.

The stories in season nine of Who Do You Think You Are? uncover surprising and unlikely tales of child stars performing in 19th Century India, working class heroes fighting battles against Napoleon and how the fall of the iron curtain divided a family. One performer discovers stories of romance and heartbreak in her family of travelling acrobats, while another’s unknown ties to Chinese ancestry is revealed, and another participant is shocked to learn of a dark family secret involving infanticide.

As the trail of their ancestry takes the eight Australian celebrities around the world to Belarus, Russia, Singapore, Malaysia, the UK, and closer to home in Norfolk Island and all around Australia, these emotional tales reflect the diversity of Australia and our evolution into the cultural melting pot of today.

Who Do You Think You Are? discovers the unknown ancestry of eight well-known Australian personalities, and in turn the multicultural identity that continues to define Australia.

Who Do You Think You Are? is produced by Warner Bros. International Television Production Australia for SBS.

BROADCAST SCHEDULE:

Episode 1 Tuesday 17 April Noni Hazlehurst

Episode 2 Tuesday 24 April Charlie Teo

Episode 3 Tuesday 1 May Natalie Imbruglia

Episode 4 Tuesday 8 May John Jarratt

Episode 5 Tuesday 15 May Justine Clarke

Episode 6 Tuesday 22 May Todd McKenney

Episode 7 Tuesday 29 May Ernie Dingo

Episode 8 Tuesday 5 June Patti Newton

Brilliant first episode with Noni tonight.

Is this the first season produced by Warner Bros International Television? They seem to be producing a lot these days in Australia.

No, Warner Bros International Television produced season 8 which aired in 2016. When WB made the decision to take back the production at the time, I was disappointed that the original production company Artemis International did not get any acknowledgment for its work making the first seven seasons.

Just found out that they are currently filming another season of Who Do You Think You Are? Good to see they’re not delaying it this time and bringing it back next year. It’s easily their most successful show.

1 Like

Can’t wait for more of this.

So now we know why there was sudden talk of Scott Cam’s heritage in the media recently. It must have come about with the filming of this series.

Who’s who in ‘Who Do You Think You Are?’ Season 10

From Tuesday 30 April at 7:30pm

The new season of this landmark series is an intimate journey into the lives of some of Australia’s favourite personalities.

cott Cam, Dr Karl Kruszelnicki, Casey Donovan, Marta Dusseldorp, Kurt Fearnley, Roger Corser, Jennifer Byrne and Kerri-Anne Kennerley will each go on a journey to discover their ancestry, in Who Do You Think You Are?. The new season premieres on SBS on Tuesday 30 April at 7.30pm.

• “Coming on this journey has really opened my eyes and my heart and it’s lifted a weight. It makes me feel like I belong” – Casey Donovan
  • “I’m just a knock about chippie… it would be bloody nice if we found some royalty!” – Scott Cam
  • I feel a lot more anchored now that I know about my ancestors and I can now appreciate why my parents were the way they were" – Dr Karl Kruszelnicki

2019 marks the 10th anniversary of the celebrated genealogy series and this season’s batch of high-profile Australians will trace their family history through global archives to piece together their family trees. Through these journeys, a rare insight into their lives behind the cameras and off the racing track emerges.

From Shanghai to Ukraine, and beyond, these eight Australians travel to parts of the world they’ve never been to in an attempt to uncover the histories that are both personal and universal. While one of the cast is shocked to discover they directly descend from English Kings, another traces lost Italian roots. One learns about heroic wartime adventures and another gets insights into their Indigenous history.

Old wounds are healed, fighting spirits centuries old are uncovered and family secrets never explained are finally understood in this emotional and intimate new series of Who Do You Think You Are?

The series airs at 7.30pm Tuesdays on SBS, starting 30 April and at SBS On Demand.

Season 10 Episode Guide

Episode 1 Tuesday 30 April Scott Cam

Episode 2 Tuesday 7 May Jennifer Byrne

Episode 3 Tuesday 14 May Marta Dusseldorp

Episode 4 Tuesday 21 May Dr Karl Kruszelnicki

Episode 5 Tuesday 28 May Casey Donovan

Episode 6 Tuesday 4 June Kurt Fearnley

Episode 7 Tuesday 11 June Kerri-Anne Kennerley

Episode 8 Tuesday 18 June Roger Corser

1 Like

Season 10 is coming but I haven’t caught up with season 9 yet. I wasn’t able to record the show on Fetch as it was on the same time as House Rules and MasterChef (and it will again be the case from episode 2 or 3 for season 10) and I watched MasterChef and recorded HR. It’s more difficult now that I have to create an account in order to see season 9 on SBS on Demand. I hope season 9 will be repeated later this year.

But you can record three different channels at the same time on Fetch can’t you?

Fetch Mighty comes with 4 tuners. You can record 3 and watch one. Then in each of those 3 tuners you can record 2 channels

I have an older style Fetch STB instead of Fetch Mighty, meaning I can only watch one and record one.