Watermarks

No one needs a watermark to tell them they’re watching sport. (Hell, no one needs a watermark when an EPG exists, but that’s not going to change)

There’s no reason not to use the regular watermark, even if it’s repositioned to be less intrusive

4 Likes

I agree. Although most of the networks are also insistent on telling us that we’re watching “NEWS” during a news bulletin…and constantly reminding us about the titles of their breakfast/mid-morning programs!

2 Likes

Yes there is. As a business, you pay a hell of a lot of money for this content (overs really). You’d be damned if you not going to brand yourself on it - Seven Sport is a brand in itself, thus their sports content is branded as such. No different to Nine having WWOS branding on their content.

Until such time as SD channels become non-existent (when HD is no longer a premium product), HD channels should be branded as HD including watermarks.

I understand people prefer to have no watermarks, but that is simply not going to happen.

2 Likes

Isn’t it more of an ID thing, to push the Seven Sport cannon?

1 Like

I’m just thinking of all the pubs that have the footy playing. No network would in their right mind telecast sport without a watermark

7 Likes

Just to top that, wile going through some old storage devices, I found some videos from 9 HD back in 2008, when WIN owned 9 Perth.

Check out this piece of art:

Even stays like that during ad breaks!

19 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:
That takes the cake.
Holy shit, I don’t think I have ever seen any watermark that is so bad. Holy holy shit.

6 Likes

No THAT is truly bad!

1 Like

Hahaha. Very mech-tron looking.

Here’s another random one from my vault. This was Nine’s temporary 3D Olympics highlights channel in 2012. The channel launched a few weeks earlier and just had looped Nine promos over and over. Closer to the games they had some cool stock aerial footage of London.

7 Likes

I would love to know the process behind putting that to air. Surely SOMEBODY would have realised how terrible it looked!

5 Likes

That “masterpiece” surely had to have been something done in Microsoft Paint…

LOL, Nine 3D - there’s something we (most likely) won’t ever see again.

I did rather enjoy watching the 3D trials in 2010 & 2012 though, even if I never had a 3DTV (or back then, even a TV one which could decode MPEG4 video) so was watching them in “side by side view” on a laptop screen via my USB tuner! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s still on one of my TV’s after 8 years, as is the 2D one and Prime7 Traralgon channels… Weird transmission pick up there.

As long as those evil dots were covered, it didn’t matter how bad it looked.

Reminds me of when WIN decided to bring dotty back for their Perth and Adelaide stations. They hadn’t used a news coverup during Nine News Perth on WIN WA because, well, they owned it and it never had dots. Sure enough, a couple of weeks after bringing dotty back, the WIN News coverup returned. On their own bulletin. The stupidity of this company never ceases to amaze me.

2 Likes

Although the new Seven Sport watermark was introduced to tonight’s Collingwood-Richmond match, the match highlights clip on YouTube and AFL website still uses the old Live & Free watermark. I think it will take a while for the new watermark to flow through.

3 Likes

Same with the Foxtel free-to-air feeds of tonight’s game, which I assume are from the same source as YouTube/AFL.com.au. They mustn’t have got the memo.

1 Like

That is a shocker

Does Foxtel output different feeds of Seven, Nine and Ten on its service to what is fed through to viewers terrestrially?

2 Likes

Yes, for AFL at least. When watching a match through Kayo or Foxtel Now, the free-to-air feed that is shown has its own unique ‘Live | 7’ or ‘Live | 7mate’ watermark (with ‘Free’ removed). Foxtel satellite or cable subscribers watching Fox Footy get the usual Fox Footy watermark.

2 Likes

Really? Thats pretty cool i must say, also if you want theres a topic on old DTV Channel Names, feel free to show us your channel list.

Isn’t this the 2010 State Of Origin trial judging by the image?

1 Like