Watermarks

Live & Freeze watermark. Bob Murphy getting frozen from the slide.

8 Likes

And with Channel Change Advisory accompanied by verbal advice from Hamish McLachlan “if you’re in NSW or QLD, switch to 7mate to continue watching the footy”.

6 Likes

Live & Freeze watermark also used for the main match.

3 Likes

Really sorry for the quality. I’m new to this.

This is NRL in the USA. On Fox Soccer Plus. A premium sports channel that mostly shows soccer but also does NRL AFL and WAFL and British Rugby League.

They simulcast NRL games from Fox League and AFL Games from Fox Footy but sometimes they’ll use channel 7 announcers and branding for AFL games. Does anyone know why they do this? They used to do this with NRL games. If the game was shown on Channel 9 they’d show the Channel 9 WWOS graphics and broadcast but now only use Fox League graphics and broadcasts.

7 Likes

Fox League now acts as the world-feed for NRL broadcasts (excluding State of Origin which 9 have exclusive rights to). Before 2018, overseas networks had to take whoever the ‘host broadcaster’ was (ie a 9-filmed game was a 9 feed and Fox-filmed game was a Fox feed - even if Fox had local rights).

I suspect the latter is is a similar scenario for AFL, with world broadcasters supplied with a 7 feed for their hosted games and Fox for their respective games.

7 Likes

They show WAFL in the States? Impressive!

We’re not immune to this mess in Australia either with online streaming. Some games on Fox Footy are Fox Footy branded and advertising-free, others are 7 or 7mate branded with local advertising in-tact, depending on the host broadcaster and the state it’s played in. The legacy satellite/cable version isn’t affected as much though, with every game branded as Fox Footy and ad-free.

3 Likes

7HD sport watermark in 2010

15 Likes

3 dots on Imparja. Yikes!

Taken on The footy show in 2007. Garry Lyon looks quite normal

6 Likes

3 Likes

Sure that’s not an ad for 2DayFM Breakfast :rofl:

4 Likes

4 Likes

Dotl-ess 9HD watermark

11 Likes

In my personal opinion, no.

I personally find “HD” watermark additions to be slightly annoying, especially when the timing of them on most networks is slightly off (often remaining on screen for a split second at the start of commercial breaks, etc.).

Maybe I’d accept it a bit more if the networks made more effort into On-Air Presentation specifically for the HD feed (Ten HD briefly did something like this during their HD breakaway era, even during simulcast content IIRC), but for obvious reasons that isn’t likely to happen in this day and age.

2 Likes

Funnily enough, WIN was the only commercial network to get it right during the first half of 2016 (at least in the post-MPEG-4 simulcasting era). The WIN HD logo was separate from the SD version so it never had a timing issue. I think they’re pretty good with it now as an add-on too.

2 Likes

yeah they are the only thing i think that have done wrong is changing the water mark from the word win to the small bold win aussie map , i think what they should do is go back to the clear win map from the old 9 days if if they want the aussie map or go back to the word win watermark

Looks like including the names of the celebrities as part of the w/m will be a regular thing.

5 Likes

Looks messy.

2 Likes

From promo loop

8 Likes

Now that SBS VICELAND is only available in HD, the “HD” watermark addition has quite sensibly been removed from LCN-31.

SBS HD on LCN-30 is still running a “HD” watermark addition though.

9 Likes

7 Likes