Watermarks

Haven’t seen that ‘7mate lookalike’ version of the 7TWO watermark before.

2 Likes

Before settling on the current “stacked” versions, I think the metropolitan/regional versions of 7TWO and 7mate used the same/similar watermarks to what Prime7’s versions of the channels are running with now?

4 Likes

I would say that the first watermarks that Australians were exposed to on FTA for an extended period were during the coverage of the first Gulf War where the networks were keen to brand their content. The coverage was 24 hours and most of the time there was a watermark present. Ironically this was only days after the introduction of Ten’s new watermark on 13 Jan 1991.

9 Likes

Looking in the second cap, the ‘7’ in 7TWO is from the 7mate logo. 7TWO branding/watermarking has always officially been filled in.

1 Like

Of course Foxtel viewers should have been familiar with watermarks.

8 Likes

Left out one of their worst

10 Likes

SCA uses the outline watermark on its 7TWO feed. With 7mate, SCA uses a faded version compared to Prime. Comparing both of them, SCA has their watermarks a bit higher and further to the left and their ‘PG’ logo is lower and further to the right.

5 Likes

Channel Nine simulcasting CBS News coverage…oh how times have changed.

As for the Ten logo on top of the CNN one, apparently things looked even odder on screen in the Capital Television viewing area:

Of course if TV history enthusiasts haven’t already, I’d recommend reading the rest of that column on Trove because the first half of that section talks about Capital getting a new logo. Oh, and there’s an article a few pages back from that previewing the (then) new look to ABC News which was to launch that night! :wink:

5 Likes

Does anyone recall that the first watermark that Ten used was on the bottom left. I think its introduction was very late compared to Seven and Nine and was around the start of Ten HD which had its watermark top left. Ten’s PRGs also had the watermark on the left/

PRG (not watermark) on left

9 Likes

Also recall that for the first day or so the Ten HD watermark was larger - it matched the size of the logo on the PRG. Subsequently it was modified and animated to a smaller size.

And for something different, the 10HD Sport watermark was on the right.

11 Likes

12 Likes

They’re not the Prime feeds though. Prime uses a black 7TWO watermark and their classification logos sit further to the right.

So if 7 metro use stacked watermarks, where are SC getting these dirty feeds from?

4 Likes

I was about to ask if ‘Ten SD2’ had its own watermark… This channel became ONE SD from memory.

3 Likes

I vaguely remember that “Ten SD2” watermark!

Yes, that’s correct. “Ten SD2” was the SD simulcast of Ten HD that ran for a very brief period prior to the launch of One SD (and of course One HD) back in 2009.

1 Like

Fair enough. I just assumed they were considering it obviously isn’t the metro feed. I have no idea where they are getting these dirty feeds from then. I’ve checked SC during this period and they are still using a clean feed…

What does the Prime 7mate watermark look like? The same as above?

3 Likes

What does the Prime 7mate watermark look like? The same as above?

Like this

8 Likes

Almost identical, but their classification icons have a white border and sit in roughly the same position as 7’s CC icon.

Perhaps 7 give their affiliates both a clean and dirty feed of their channels, yet they haven’t updated the graphics on the dirty feeds? Seems a bit far fetched though.

3 Likes

You briefly see this ad before it fades to black and out to local ads:

You can also just make out that SCA’s watermarks are removed before this unknown feeds watermarks are removed:

2 Likes

I’m confused? So where were SCTV getting those different feeds from, not sure why it’d be Prime?

1 Like

It does. Probably unlikely. To be honest, I’ve never seen this happen other than during the infomercials block.

2 Likes