Warner Bros. Discovery

HBO Max is pulling another swathe of titles, particularly in the unscripted and animated fields.

It comes after it emerged that the streamer would pull back on those genres ahead of combining the service with Discovery+ next week and laid off a number of staff in these spaces.

It follows the removal of a number of other titles over the past few weeks including Craftopia, Camping, Mrs. Fletcher, Run and Vinyl.

Titles to be pulled from the service this week include Ellen’s Next Great Designer, The Not-Too-Late Show With Elmo and My Mom, Your Dad as well as 12 Dates of Christmas, Close Enough, and Generation Hustle.

“As we work toward bringing our content catalogs together under one platform, we will be making changes to the content offering available on both HBO Max and discovery+. That will include the removal of some content from both platforms,” the company said. “At the same time, we’re already starting to bring our content catalogs together like the launch of the new CNN Originals Hub on discovery+ and a curated collection of Magnolia Network content coming soon to HBO Max.”

1 Like

UPDATE: Warner Bros did a backflip and said that its Writers and Directors Workshops would continue.

There are a couple of threads this could go in

4 Likes

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/news/bt-sport-tnt-sports-rebrand-26297150

"TNT Sports is the new name that will replace BT Sport, from July 2023. This marks the next logical step for BT Sport as well as the broader transformation of BT’s Consumer business.

According to The Telegraph, BT Sport subscribers who watch via its streaming app will have to do so on the Discovery+ app. The report states that TV viewers, however, will not have to do anything — the name of the channel will just change name.

While BT Sport will be folded into the new TNT Sports brand ahead of the start of next season, Eurosport will not be renamed until some time after the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris.

4 Likes

Will be interesting if Foxtel/Kayo/Fetch launches TNT Sports here. Eurosport used to be on Foxtel before being dropped a few years back.

TNT Sports would mean further competition for sports rights

2 Likes

Unless they’re able to secure rights to some decent sports, they wont be back - it was a very niche offering.

2 Likes

Eurosport had poor ratings which was axed in 2020.

1 Like
2 Likes

According to Variety, Warner Bros Discovery is suing Paramount Global, MTV and South Park Digital Studios for $200 million USD due to Paramount apparently breaching the $500 million USD HBO Max deal that allowed HBO Max to stream South Park by making direct-to-streaming films for the platform and shortening the episode count that WBD (WarnerMedia at the time) were promised.

In recent years, the episodes of seasons have been decreased from 10 episodes per season to 6. Instead of the 4 episodes there is 2 made-for-streaming movies with a 48-minute runtime on Paramount+. WBD says that they were promised 30 new episodes (10 episodes a season for 3 seasons) and 333 episodes in total but have only gotten 14 new episodes due to the change. Also, WBD were told the two pandemic specials in 2020/2021 were reportedly not part of Season 24, but SPDS then reversed their decision and called them part of S24.

WBD also got angry at Paramount/MTV for using the word “movies” for the made-for-TV films on Paramount+ as they had made an agreement with Paramount in 1998 where all sequels to the film as well as direct-to-video productions would require mutual agreement in writing. Paramount/MTV then made a work-around and changed them from “movies” to “events”

I do love South Park, but I hope Warner Bros. Discovery win the lawsuit. The specials do feel like a workaround to get the show on Paramount+, as combined with the regular series they make the same amount of runtime as a 10-episode season. If that happened to me I would feel like I was being scammed and I would be pissed.

1 Like

It wasn’t smart for Paramount to consider throwing SP on HBO Max to begin with back in 2019 - they should have waited for the ViacomCBS merger to finalize, then throw it on CBS All Access for it to eventually be on Paramount+.

2 Likes

apparently WBD is a major train wreck of a company…

3 Likes

https://tbivision.com/2023/03/23/wbds-new-streamer-aims-to-replicate-cable-bundle-says-hbo-hbo-max-chief-casey-bloys/

1 Like

Yep, because that phrasing is going to resonate positively with customers :man_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes
4 Likes

The One to Watch? Where have I heard that before?

Channel 7 Promo and Presentation Montage (December 2000) - YouTube

4 Likes
4 Likes

After being replaced by Boomerang for 8 years, Cartoonito reverts back as a dedicated channel across Southeast Asia:

Previously, Boing in France switched to a French feed of Cartoonito in April, while Teletoon in Canada made way for Cartoon Network, whose former air space was replaced by Boomerang in March.

1 Like

I see a lot of debate on whether Nine will keep the 3D or go full 2D with their logo, when it’s Warner Bros. With the real identity crisis. They have introduced yet another new logo (this time on Wonka) but still don’t know which one to use as their primary.
(It’s time for the 2019 version to just die)

3 Likes