Wake Up (Defunct) November 2013- May 2014

Ten’s new breakfast, Wake Up, headed by breakfast television juggernaut Adam Boland began its broadcast on November 4 , 2013. Similarly to its predecessor Breakfast, the program was promised a few years to succeed ( Breakfast 10 years, and Wake Up more realistically 2 years) but unfortunately both programs were axed within 9 months and 7 months respectively. Despite all the hype, unfortunately Wake Up disappointed many, including us here on MS, from day dot before finally the network swung the axe in May 2015. It promised big but delivered very little.

Opener

The opener was probably the most consistent face in the life of Wake Up with the title sequence and headline package remaining throughout its broadcast.

Set

One of the main drawcards to Wake Up was its beautiful location, Manly Beach. The set revolved around the beach backdrop of the surf club studio with a few beachy elements to tie it together. Ironically, day 1 began with the hosts presenting live outdoors followed by a casual walk-in by a producer with a surf board.

8 Likes

That set was so beautiful. One of the best imo.

2 Likes

It was, in retrospect they could have pulled it off in a studio with video screens displaying the same thing for a fraction of the cost.

1 Like

I actually really enjoyed Wake Up and was sad to see it go. I think if Adam Boland hadn’t had his health issues, it actually could have become a decent show with time. But I would have replaced James with Matt Doran and the network could have helped by actually promoting the show…

Would have been really interesting to see how it would have developed if it was given its promised time to grow.

2 Likes

In contrast, I’m of the opinion that Ten was incredibly foolish in giving Adam Boland what was seemingly a blank cheque (the outrageous amount of money spent on the location / set) and an unlimited budget for the show just because of his background with Sunrise.

While I’m sure his reasons for leaving were legitimate, on the surface it truly looked like he took the easy way out after the show tanked and Ten wasted a massive amount of cash on the whole thing.

1 Like

Boland didn’t take the “easy” way out- he only supervised the first show before taking leave. So, he wasn’t there to see the ratings of the debut or the feedback of the show to flee from. Wake Up’s downfall was that it was a mash (or comprise) of Boland’s vision with the new CEO of 10. Boland initially had Matho paired with Maude Gaurett and, with the beach setting, it would have aptly reflected 10’s younger demographic. Meanwhile, 10 bosses wanted some news cred, hence Belling and Exelby. In his autobiography, Boland conceded that he should have went back to the drawing board, with the new direction for the show.

I truly believe that Boland would have been able to improve Wake Up had he been there every step of the way. Whatever you think of his ideas, you have to respect Adam for acting on the lack of chemistry between the trio almost immediately.

1 Like

23 May 2014 saw Wake Up air its final show, 2 days after Network TEN axed its show. I used to enjoy watching the program but now I find this show a very expensive show as it is produced via Manly. James Mathison and Tarsh Belling congratulated on their efforts.
4 Likes

Thursday is 8 years since 10 launched Wake Up with Adam Boland at the helm.

The beachside setting at Manly Beach was nice but like its predecessor, struggled against Sunrise, Today and even News Breakfast and lasted only 6 months and 19 days.

6 Likes

Unfortunately, Wake Up was a very expensive operation. It financially weighed down the network. Especially when primetime was completely failing.

It wasn’t just Wake Up that was axed, but Ten Early News, Ten Morning News, and The Late News we’re all axed (again) on the same day. Massive staff cuts once again occurred in all newsrooms across the country. This was the 3rd round of cuts made to the news department after the failed 2012 Breakfast Show and The 2011 News Revaluation.

No new management has since had the balls to expand Ten News.

4 Likes
2 Likes