US Television

The upcoming 8th season of The Vampire Diaries will be the show’s last, the cast and executive producers revealed at the San Diego Comic-Con at the weekend.

Carpool Karaoke, a hugely popular segment on The Late Late Show with James Corden, will become a TV series for Apple Music. The series will be distributed to Apple Music members in 100 countries worldwide.

Cable channel Lifetime has given the go ahead to the contemporary remake of 1988 movie Beaches. Idina Menzel (Wicked the Musical, Glee, Frozen) will take on the role of CC, originally played by Bette Midler. Menzel will perform new versions of Wind Beneath My Wings and The Glory of Love, as well as new songs for the remake. It is set to premiere next year.

SundanceTV has announced the fourth and final season of Rectify will premiere in America on Wednesday, October 26. The drama airs here on SBS.
TNT has renewed The Last Ship for a fourth season.

CBS has renewed Zoo for a third season. It is already the longest-running original summer scripted drama on the network.

1 Like

Thomas Gibson has been sacked from Criminal Minds after an on-set altercation with a writer weeks ago. According to Deadline, Gibson was directing an episode when he had a physical altercation with a writer, said to be co-executive producer Virgil Williams. He was initially suspended for two episodes and banned from directing future episodes, but ABC Studios and CBS Studios, which make the drama, decided to terminate his contract. The two studios said in a joint statement:

Thomas Gibson has been dismissed from Criminal Minds… Creative details for how the character’s exit will be addressed in the show will be announced at a later date.

In a later statement, Gibson did not address the incident but expressed disappointment over his sacking and thanked the show’s cast, writers, producers and crew.

I love Criminal Minds and have put my heart and soul into it for the last twelve years. I had hoped to see it through to the end, but that won’t be possible now. I would just like to say thank you to the writers, producers, actors, our amazing crew, and, most importantly, the best fans that a show could ever hope to have.

I was surprised by the sacking given Gibson had been part of the show since it began in 2005. It will be interesting to see how his character will be written out.

To be fair, everything surprises you. :laughing:

It shouldn’t be a surprise that someone is sacked for assault especially if they have form. Gibson had previous altercations and warnings. Have you forgotten the sackings of Jeremy Clarkson and Charlie Sheen in recent times for physical and verbal abuse? :rolling_eyes:

2 Likes

I thought a suspension of a few episodes would have been a sufficient punishment for Gibson. He did not behave erratically like Charlie Sheen.

You don’t know that for sure. There could be a lot more happening behind the scenes that has not yet been revealed.

Rising Australian star Natasha Bassett (last seen on Coen Brothers movie Hail, Caesar!) will play Britney Spears in Lifetime’s new two-hour biopic about the singer. It will air next year.

Pretty Little Liars will finish with 10 episodes airing from April 2017, says series creator I. Marlene King said in a Facebook video. It will be the second half of the seventh season.
NBC has announced the sixth season of Grimm will be the show’s last. The last 13 episodes start Friday, January 6.

Devious Maids, created by Marc Cherry (Desperate Housewives) with Eva Longoria as one of the executive producers, has been axed by Lifetime after the conclusion of season 4.

Matt Doran (Formerly Ten News) has been demoted to Reporter for Series 2 of Crime watch Daily, with Chris Hansen replacing him.

Has anyone been watching The Night Of. I know its been on for some time but I am currently binge watching it. Have 1 episode left. It is probably one of the best new American shows I have watched this year.

1 Like

Loved The Night Of but feel very conflicted about the ending. On reflection it is obvious who killed Andrea so I can understand why the writers didn’t give us a definitive ending and spell it out. I suppose the story was always meant to be about the incarceration of Nas, his treatment at the hands of the justice system and the effect that had on him.

1 Like

I haven’t watched the ending so I am assuming it becomes more obvious in the last episode. I have my 3 suspects and I am not sure at the moment who I believe could have done it. I have really enjoyed it as the audience has become the jury. I think it is something that could adapt quite well here in Australia in a true crimes story telling.

FX has announced Tyrant is finished after three seasons, with this week’s episode also the last ever episode. I think the show airs here on One.

TNT has renewed The Last Ship for a fifth season. The next two seasons will run for 10 episodes each, with season 5 set for 2018.

A double dose of Bondi Vet on CBS Saturday mornings with new episodes of Dr. Chris Pet Vet and The Open Road with Dr Chris from 1 October.

The latest Star Trek series, Star Trek: Discovery, has been delayed by CBS. It announced the drama will now debut on its streaming service CBS All Access in May 2017 instead of January, in order to give the show’s creative team more time to create a “Star Trek” TV series that lives up to the fans’ expectations. This also means its international debut on Netflix has also been delayed to May 2017.