US Television

CBS All Access has renewed The Good Fight for a third season.

Horse racing on NBCSN. Today was Kentucky Oaks Day, the lead-up meeting for tomorrow’s Kentucky Derby.

Pre-race

The second graphic fits the NBCSN look, while the first looks like it was inspired by Seven’s horse racing graphics.

Instant replay (my stream cut out during the race so I can’t be sure what the graphics looked like during the race)

Interview

Photo finish

Then there was a protest (or “objection” as they call it over there). This was NBCSN’s only view of the steward’s room

The original result was confirmed. NBCSN flashed up this graphic before hastily going to a commercial break

The break ended with what appeared to be a live promo for the next program

Results

Then a quick presentation before host Mike Tirico signed off by voiceover. A credits graphic turned in to a promo graphic for tomorrow’s racing.

It is notable that NBC treat NBCSN in a similar way to how Australian networks treat the multichannels, taking the less important sports when something more important is on the main channel. However NBCSN is a cable channel so on many providers it is not anywhere near the LCN of the local NBC station, and the LCN varies wildly from one provider to the next, so they don’t even try to mention channel numbers.

2 Likes

But they have streaming. So much streaming. It’s a great way to watch the EPL.

Yep, they have great EPL coverage. I prefer their coverage over what Optus and SBS deliver.

I don’t gamble on horses (maybe once every 2 years on the Melbourne Cup), but I seriously don’t understand why the US and UK persist with fractional odds.

I think they are extremely confusing to anyone who isn’t familiar with horse racing.

2 Likes

I’m really surprised Fox Sports hasn’t developed an authenticated (using your Foxtel/Foxtel Now app login) streaming app - the possibilities that such an service could present are endless

1 Like

As someone who does follow horse racing, I agree wholeheartedly. They do my head in.

Maybe I misunderstand you, but Foxtel Now has iOS and Android apps for streaming. It devours data, but with the big telcos starting to offer pseudo-unlimited data plans maybe that’s not a problem.

I’m talking about having a separate Fox Sports streaming app

1 Like

NBC has ordered a full series for new medical drama New Amsterdam starring Ryan Eggold (The Blacklist). It’s not to be confused with the 2008-2009 drama of the same name which starred Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as a New York City detective who was immortal.

Fox has renewed The Resident for a second season. The first season average 1.0 in the 18-49 demo and 4.73 million viewers, improving to 1.8 rating and 7.68 million viewers with a week of timeshifted viewing.

Excellent stitch up.

1 Like

The CW has axed Valor and Life Sentence, both after just one season, but has renewed The 100 for a sixth season. The 100 is shown in Australia on Foxtel.
NBC has renewed The Good Girls for a second season.
Transparent will finish with the upcoming fifth season.

Fox has sacked Clayne Crawford from Lethal Weapon and will recast his character if the show is renewed.

Starz has renewed Outlander for another two seasons.

1 Like
  • The Starz network has renewed Outlander for seasons five and six.
  • CBS have given the greenlight to Welcome to the Neighbourhood, a fish-out-of-water comedy about a super nice guy who moves to a suburb in LA. It stars Aussie Josh Lawson in the lead role.
  • CBS have also given a series order to an untitled comedy starring Damon Waynes Jnr and former Neighbours star Felix Mallard. The series is about a couple who have a young celebrity move in with them and is based somewhat on One Director star Harry Styles.
  • ABC has also formally picked up The Rookie, a procedural starring Nathan Fillion as an older guy starting a career as a copy.
  • A Million Little Things has also been picked up by ABC. It’s a drama about a group of friends and their response to the death of one of their own.

NBC has renewed Law & Order: SVU, Chicago Fire, Chicago P.D. and Chicago Med for new seasons.

Fox has also axed The Mick and The Last Man on Earth, but has renewed Star for a third season.
NBC has renewed Blindspot for a 4th season and has ordered a new drama The InBetween for the 2018-19 season, starring Australia’s Harrier Dyer (Love Child, No Activity).

Not surprised. It’s been limping along this season.

But it’s still not as difficult to watch as The Simpsons which I really struggle to stay interested in, this season.

Everything’s Gonna Be Okay for Josh Thomas.