US Politics

Not to mention his extreme religious views that let him rule his decision making.

Ye, I personally am not a fan of his extreme stance on abortion and gay rights.

Those on the left should be careful about what they wish for.

IMHO, if Trump limps on for another year, two year or sees out this term, he probably wonā€™t get much done. Mainly this will be down to his constant scandals sucking the air out of the GOPā€™s legislative agenda. Also the WH is disorganised and heā€™s not the master negotiator that heā€™s made himself out to be.

Should he resign or be impeached and found guilty, there will be celebration for a day or two, but Pence could be even an even worse result.

Not only is he more stridently (and truly) against what many/most Dems stand for (abortion, gay rights, etc), but heā€™s much more in tune and collegiate with House Republicans. Heā€™ll probably be way more organised too, seeing as heā€™s already got experience as a governor.

The upsides are that he wonā€™t imperil American security and foreign relations with the reckless abandon that Trump has.

1 Like

Pence just regurgitates whatever heā€™s told to say ā€¦ and a lot of the time the truth is not what he said.

1 Like

So from what I hear from reports this weekā€¦the FBI director is in position at the discretion of the President. The President, aware that the director is wasting resources investigating a conspiracy theory, dismisses him. If I was Trump and knew there was no basis for these theories, Iā€™d instate someone else in the position too? What are we meant to find so outrageous?

I notice the media and Democrats have piped down since the Special Counsel was appointedā€¦and you know why, because itā€™s crunch time now. New York Times and Washington Post whispers arenā€™t going to cut it anymore and this Russia thing is going to be stopped dead in its tracks. Hence Pelosi etc. warning about how the investigation could still be ā€œinfluencedā€ by Trump admin appointed DOJ officials.

I mean, youā€™ve got to be naive, and frankly, as dumb as a brick, to believe self-serving propoganda like this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/comey-prepared-extensively-for-his-conversations-with-trump/2017/05/18/e53b1734-3bf1-11e7-a058-ddbb23c75d82_story.html

FBI Director James B. Comey prepared extensively for his discussions with President Trump, out of concern that the president was unlikely to respect the legal and ethical boundaries governing their respective roles, according to associates of the now-fired FBI chief.

Iā€™ve never read such bullshit in my life. :joy:

1 Like

The fact Comey investigated both Trump and Hillary means thereā€™s probably a good reason for him to be kept in the position. He doesnā€™t favour either political cause.

Itā€™s outrageous because a) it makes Trump look guilty as sin, and b) because Trump could have fired Comey from day 1 of his Presidency, but instead waited until the Russia scandal began to gather momentum before firing him, which only further makes Trump look like heā€™s just trying to cover his own arse.

Or because the appropriate action has been taken? Now an investigation will find the truth, and Trump canā€™t interfere like he did when he asked Comey if he could ā€œlet goā€ of the Flynn investigation.[quote=ā€œFiretorch, post:598, topic:1886ā€]
New York Times and Washington Post whispers arenā€™t going to cut it anymore and this Russia thing is going to be stopped dead in its tracks.
[/quote]

Just this morning it was announced that James Comey will testify in front of the Senate Committee. I dunno what news sources youā€™re reading but from what I can see from several newssites I frequently visit, the Russia scandal isnā€™t going to go away any time soon.

Arguably this is more important. If Trump has shared details of intelligence (and endangered an Israeli operative, as has apparently happened), then allies of the US will be more hesitant to share information on the off-chance Orange McFuckface shares it.

Socially, Pence is aligned with his constituents. At least he wonā€™t be undermining democratic norms every other day.

Er, not at all. Itā€™s like a football umpire that played for a particular side then going out of his way to favour the opposing side to show how ā€œnot biasedā€ he is. He was wailing in front of a committee last week about how he could have influenced the election against the Democratsā€¦you think thatā€™s appropriate behaviour for an FBI chief?

It doesnā€™t at all. I donā€™t even know what heā€™s ā€œguiltyā€ of. That someone in his campaign talked to the Russian Ambassador to the US? Seriously? Howā€™s that controversial? Leaders running for election often meet other foreign leaders and dignitaries. Macron met with Theresa May in 10 Downing St before the French election. Is Macron going to be investigated forā€¦wait for itā€¦contact with the British?!!..shock horror. Itā€™s just so juvenile. The whole thing. Seriously.

As to why he didnā€™t fire him from Day 1ā€¦well he obviously thought heā€™d resolve it without a public humiliation for Comey by getting him to drop it. If YOU were Trump and YOU knew the Russian thing was not trueā€¦would you let an FBI director, appointed at your discretion, waste resources on it? I wouldnā€™t.

Haha, well, like I said, why was Pelosi already foreshadowing the outcome of the investigation being tainted? Come on, donā€™t be gullible.

Oh, I mean that the outcome of the investigation will stop it (well, there might be minor, irrelevant outcomes that will be blown up across the Times and Post) - weā€™re not going to find that Putin is paying Trump, or that Trump is somehow a Russian agent, lol. As for the Times and Post, I fully expect them to present a million irrelevant articles on each angle of the subject each day, like a trashy tabloid covering every aspect of Pippaā€™s weddingā€¦lots of contentā€¦lots of anglesā€¦no substance (or in this case, evidence).

Yes, it is important for an FBI chief to take into consideration the political consequences of his actions, especially when heā€™s actioning an investigation 11 days before a national election.

Whatā€™s even more egregious was that Trump thanked Comey for his investigation on the day it was announced, and then fired him six months later without even a goodbye kiss. Sounds like heā€™s running scared :slight_smile: [quote=ā€œFiretorch, post:603, topic:1886ā€]
If YOU were Trump and YOU knew the Russian thing was not trueā€¦would you let an FBI director, appointed at your discretion, waste resources on it?
[/quote]

If I was innocent, sure Iā€™d let them have the time of their lives. They wouldnā€™t find anything and look all the more stupid for it at the end of it all. Then Iā€™d fire them.

Trumpā€™s either guilty or incapable of picking the right time to fire someone, or both.[quote=ā€œFiretorch, post:604, topic:1886ā€]
Come on, donā€™t be gullible.
[/quote]
Well I disagree with Pelosi, as I have many times.

But I thought you said the Democrats were being quiet? So how does Pelosi fit into your conspiracy?

And cā€™mon man, at least combine your comments into one or two posts. 4 is ridiculous.

Seriously?

The investigation is specifically into Russian meddling in the election? Have You Been Paying Attention?

Iā€™ve addressed that.

Yeah but Iā€™m hungover, youā€™ll have to spell it out.

1 Like

No one has questioned his ability to sack him (that Iā€™ve seen) and its not like heā€™s acted alone - both the AG and his deputy have recommended Comey be removed. The optics look terrible though and the timing is woeful, both make it look like Trump has either something to hide or he is trying to cover it up. The fact that Trump mentioned in Comeyā€™s ā€œDont Come Mondayā€ the conversations about Comey allegedly not investigating Trump says a lot as well.

This was allegedly intellegence that wasnt shared with Five Eyes either

Iā€™d also add that Trump was struggling to make appointments anyway - in fact still need to make appointments

What is the ā€œsomethingā€ that Trump could be hiding? What actually is being investigated regarding Trumpā€™s actions? Does removing James Comey as FBI Director mean all evidence, if there was ā€œsomethingā€ to be investigated, vanishes? No. Does removing James Comey mean that James Comey now has amnesia and canā€™t reveal this bombshell information? No. Does removing James Comey mean that all this evidence, supposedly already collated by the FBI, used as the basis for even performing an investigation in the first place, is no longer held by the FBI? No.

So I really donā€™t see how this shows Trump is ā€œcoveringā€ something up. This is not a James Bond movie!

As for the NYTimes thinking it has a smoking gun with the quote that Trump said dropping Comey ā€œeases the pressureā€ over Russiaā€¦well of course it does. And not in the sense that James Comey, the Sherlock Holmes or the Poirot of the FBI, was hot on his heels and Trump at the last minute thwarted him - but simply means, as has already been explained by the administration, that Trump has greater freedom in now dealing with Russia on a number of issues.

I mean, the idea that Trump is somehow involved in some secret relationship with Russia, and just COMICALLY dropped the line to Russia, in the bugged Oval Office, that ā€œwow, now Iā€™ve sacked Comey theyā€™ll no longer catch me! Iā€™m under so much less pressureā€ is just so ridiculous.

Here. Or did you mean something else? What other ā€œRussian meddlingā€ are you referring to?