US Politics

I am certainly disappointed in the result but I have a few observations from todays coverage.

1. I thought Trump was very well articulated for a person who had endured a long campaign and a long day. I thought he backtracked on some of his promises about immigrants and was quite clear of Uniting all Americas no matter what religion or race. So I thought that was good. I do believe he will need to deliver on some of his promises, even though they were as crazy as ever. I do not agree with many of his promises, although some are fair (tenures for those in office etc). His campaign was based around delivering on the promises etc and delivering to America what they want. Well I would find it to be completely hypocritical of him to not deliver on some of his promises if this is what he based his election around.

2. Watching the coverage I thought Hillary’s campaign was very lazy and relied on the American’s believing in the media and not liking Trump. She completely got this wrong, unfortunately. She relied on celebrities to tell people who to vote for rather than saying what she was going to do for people. This was her problem. People want to know what you are going to do for all those that are voting I don’t think she did this well enough.

3. I was bitterly disappointed with Clinton. I thought she could have conceded rather than go home and call Trump up. She had some amazing supporters who were there supporting for her, chanting they stood with her and ran that campaign with her. I felt she sulked and didn’t bother addressing her supporters. I felt that she was not prepared to lose and probably didn’t have a losers speech ready. This was overconfidence and was the reason she lost at the end of the day.

I am worried about the views people have but I am more worried that those who are involved in Politics aren’t evolving and whether democracy is at a point in the world where there will be some sort of change. This is the second, most unbelievable vote that I have witnessed this year. America and the UK will need to look into their political structure more seriously. Is it time to make voting more compulsory and do they need to educate the voters better? There are few issues and I don’t think they have tapped into the public well enough.

5 Likes

I’d have to agree. Her campaign was very weak. The focus was on Trump’s bad history with women, it should not have just focused on that. She needed to focus on her points that she outlined that she was going to bring in if she gained power. Gun Control, equality for women, creating new jobs and immigration. She had all that, and she could have used that more frequently.
His character was totally ignored in the voting process and this is where her message failed to resenate.

I’m so upset by this outcome, I really thought the Polling proved correct that Clinton was going to nail this election. Serves me right for trusting polls.

This. So much this.

Polling is usually accurate. It was for our elections. It has been accurate in the past for US Presidential elections. Why has the polling for events like Brexit and Trump not shown the reality?

What a shitty year 2016 has become.

Of course, it has to be said that the US & UK don’t have compulsory voting for their elections like we do.

2 Likes

Even if the US had compulsory voting, don’t think it would have changed much?

If it had been compulsory, it would have meant that even more working class voters (i.e. Trump’s base) would have gone out to vote for him.

I think the pollsters were misled by the shy voter factor in both Brexit and Trump’s victory (i.e. voters being too scared to actually say that they’re voting for the non-establishment choice). I’d say that online polls would have provided a much more representative result, due to their inherent anonymity - in the same way that a secret ballot would probably produce a different result to if everyone was asked to state their choice to a person who records the vote.

Not shocked at all. Left wing media commentators (increasingly younger in age and less experienced), and people that virtue-signal on forums and social media, are totally closed off to other people’s views - they just don’t have a good sense of what ordinary people think.

On the 2012 election, Trump actually INCREASED the proportion of blacks and hispanics that voted for the Republican candidate, per exit polls. Would you ever have thought that, having watched any media coverage?

What a load of bullshit. It was a one second glance over before starting to actually speak to her. Most people vote as a family - no one puts their blinkers on and avoid eye glances at their own family. You’ve been looking at too many loony left twitter memes.

Yeah, she deleted an email data trail regarding decisions about war. Like, pretty fucking bad.

No evidence.

No shit! Thanks for underlining the point. :sweat_smile: :joy:

Funniest thing I’ve seen here.

You do realise that making obviously bullshit claims as an anonymous user on an internet forum after literally dozens of investigations by the Senate and FBI found nothing makes you the joke here, right?

Hmm, you don’t quite sense the irony in your posts do you. You’ve stated dozens of investigations over time (because, of course, it is without end - no one knows what was on the server), yet offering that as a final conclusion.

Why wasn’t it an “obviously bullshit claim” after the first investigation? Or the second? Or the first dozen?

Why is the FBI even investigating this dozens of times?

Do you privately store, and then delete, critical information at your place of work? I know it would be a dismissable offence where I work.

At the end of the day, the American people spoke - I don’t need a two bit anonymous user on an internet forum contesting the fact that what Hillary did was plainly wrong.

Many of those were Senate panels, which were Republican. Allegations have surfaced in the last few days that the FBI’s New York Field office was rooting for Trump.

At the end of the day, in response to TeleivisonAU’s question, “has Hillary done anything really that bad” - the answer is very clearly yes.

Whatever the make up of the panel investigating her was - the act itself was wrong, let alone whether those emails then contained additional incriminating information. Two aspects - you’re only focusing on the FBI having reviewed the information in the emails.

Anyway, Hillary, and her emails, will now be a minor footnote in history. Time to move to President Trump. Hopefully the shithouse media in western Europe, North America and Australia change their tone, and their emphasis from emotional virtue-signalling shrieking, to actual factual analysis. But after they had their pants pulled down over Brexit, I doubt it. You’re talking about a very bigoted ‘liberal’ elite here.

So many places were very close. It could have changed a lot.

I do have to agree with firetorch to some degree. This was an election run by the media. They made people believe Clinton would win and used Trumps views to kind of bully people into voting for her. Finally, perhaps, this is the end of the media controling the vote and maybe they will stop pushing their own agenda as it clearly backfired. Unless this is what they wanted, surely not?

2 Likes

Ok. Well I look forward to Mr Trump being totally honest and above board in literally everything he does while in office.

2 Likes

Have to say too the difference between Clinton and Obama speaking today was stark. Obama was calm, measured, unifying, Clinton more aligned with Merkel’s measly response (with an added dose of identity politics to round things out, talk about someone that hasn’t got the message).

In fact, Trump was far more gracious in his comments than her, and especially when you compare him with her behaviour yesterday. She sent out Podesta to tell the crowd to wait for more results, when she then phoned Trump anyway to concede. Come out and show your team, your supporters some respect. Reminds me of Turnbull after this year’s election - which I seem to recall everyone in Australia labelling pathetic.

If Trump had waited until the next day to publicly concede the media would have savaged him. Absolutely killed him. Remember that bullshit about Trump not respecting the result (ie not publicly acknowledging a scenario in which he loses, before election day, because no-one fucking does that ever)? And yet Clinton was the one to hide away and sulk instead of being gracious in defeat.

So do I. And when he doesn’t, I’m sure he will attract extremely hostile criticism.

3 Likes

This I do agree with you on.

Yep. Hilary Clinton actually got more votes than Donald Trump this election. Donald’s votes just fell in the right places.

3 Likes