Underbelly: Vanishing Act

UNDERBELLY: VANISHING ACT

Underbelly returns to Channel 9 in 2022, based on the real-life mystery that captivated the nation. Underbelly: Vanishing Act tells the story of the bizarre disappearance of Melissa Caddick, the high-roller who allegedly embezzled over $40 million before vanishing into thin air. It’s a mystery that has left Caddick’s family, clients and the police questioning everything they thought they knew about her.

Underbelly: Vanishing Act stars Kate Atkinson ( Wentworth, Jack Irish, SeaChange ) as Melissa Caddick, alongside Colin Friels ( Water Rats, BlackJack, Mystery Road ), Tai Hara ( Madam Secretary, Home and Away, Hyde & Seek), Maya Stange ( Love Child , A Place to Call Home , Wolf Creek , Rake) , Ursula Mills ( Out of the Blue ), and Sophie Bloom (Love Child, Amazing Grace, Reef Break).

Produced by Matt Ford and Kerrie Mainwaring, written by Matt Ford and Michael Miller and directed by Geoff Bennett , Underbelly: Vanishing Act is produced by Screentime (a Banijay Group company).

4 Likes

Is it too soon to be making a show about Melissa Caddick?

Is this latest Underbelly going to be a series, or a telemovie?

But great to have Kate Atkinson in it. She was great in Wentworth. I like Colin Friels too.

Kate Atkinson switching roles from a prison guard to a criminal.

1 Like

Is the case even solved yet? Do we know if it was murder or suicide?

Also is this really underbelly? Where’s the sex, drugs and gun fights?

Governor you mean :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

That was my first thought - bit tame for Underbelly

Maybe they are looking to make it less intense and more wide appealing? A bit of a reset of the franchise?

When you think of Underbelly, you think of tales from the underworld, from Razor, to Chopper, to the original series. The disappearance of Melissa Caddick will be the first storyline not related to the underworld.

2 Likes

Yeah agreed. The underbelly name clearly being used to draw eyeballs as it’s an established brand. If they named it something else I reckon it wouldn’t get the same attention.

1 Like

Does anyone know where I can stream the first season? (Original underbelly) Doesn’t appear to be on Stan (the only one not there) not on 9now or even Apple TV

You can buy it for $23 on iTunes. Sorry I can’t be of better help.

All good! Hadn’t thought to try iTunes!
Thanks David

Edit:
Scratch that. It is on Apple TV, but it’s under Squizzy from clicking on that it shows all seasons.
Silly navigation.

It’s just been added today to 9Now. How’s that for lucky!

Is Underbelly Razor on 9Now? It’s the only one I haven’t seen.

That’s so funny! I wonder if they saw this? :yum:

I ended up purchasing the season on Apple TV.
@JBar All others are available on Stan though if you’re wanting ad free and full HD

1 Like

Saw a promo for this on Nine today. Hearing the Underbelly theme music with the vision in the promo, it made me think this miniseries was a mismatch for the Underbelly brand.

The promo

Variety has included Vanishing Act in its list of 20 international shows to look out for at next week’s London Screenings. Interestingly, the mini-series is produced by a Banijay subsidiary but will be distributed outside Australia by DCD Rights, not Banijay Rights.
It will be available to media buyers as 3 x 45 minute episodes or 1 x 75 minute & 1 x 60 minute episodes.

New trailer

So the whole thing is narrated by the person who is dead? :confounded: I thought this case still had a lot of details which are unknown. So the miniseries just assumes the details just to make an interesting story for television? Sounds dodgy.