TV show ideas

What about a re-boot of The Weakest Link or Battle Of The Sexes to screen afterwards in a game show double header?

I am open to other game show ideas to pair up with Perfect Match - possibly run 2 or 3 different formats over the year.

As an example, if you had 3 other shows running, you could air Perfect Match for 44 weeks of the year and the others for 20 weeks each - 8 of those weeks for one of them would be in the Perfect Match timeslot.

2 Likes

Seven was considering it in 2008, with Gretel Killeen as host, but nothing came of it.

I also wouldn’t think there would be any room in either Seven or Ten’s current schedules for that to happen. What Seven could do is air TWL on Mondays or Fridays, leaving The Chase Australia to air on the other four nights.

Fridays and more so Saturdays are graveyards for Ten. Ten really need to look at low budget new programming. Definitely room on those nights. Ideally they would VB spend the money to give a good alternative to sport. Alas the reality is, they probably won’t

1 Like

In the UK, Saturday night television is usually devoted to entertainment programming such as reality talent shows such as The X Factor or Britain’s Got Talent on ITV and Strictly Come Dancing on the BBC or drama programmes such as Doctor Who on the BBC.

Unlike other countries - such as the United States, Canada and Australia - some programmes aired during Saturday primetime in the UK achieve strong viewership levels.

1 Like

Sportsworld
Sportsworld (no relation to the former Channel Seven show of the same name) is a sports magazine show that airs on Saturday afternoons, replacing reruns as lead-ins to the weekend news (at 6pm). The new show will be a mixture of live coverage, highlights and round-ups of local and international sporting events, sports news, in-depth analysis and live crosses to horse racing. At around 5.45pm, Scoreboard is a 15 minute roundup of “heartland” sport and racing with detailed results as they arrive.

Sports Sunday
Sports Sunday (no relation to the current Channel Nine show of the same name) screens Sunday afternoons with a similar format to Sportsworld on Saturday afternoon - live sporting action, highlights, previews and sports news.

3 Likes

Chris Lilley’s humour is the type of thing you might find funny as a teenager but when you look back on his shows as an adult…yeah, they’re just awful.

Although I’m pretty sure Paul Fenech has never resorted to blackface with his programming, his style of ethnic-based comedy is also rather outdated and one I don’t really care to see more of on TV especially after last year’s short “Fat Pizza: Back in Business” series on 7mate.

I agree although if the networks really have to go for a revival, I’d love to see Working Dog re-explore the idea of Frontline. At the very least, I hope another production company has the initiative to develop a new show among those lines which is based around the inner workings of an Australian media organisation.

Nearly a quarter of a century has passed since the final episode of Frontline has gone to air and in recent years, so many issues in the media have come into the spotlight that are worthy of storylines for such a show…

• Consolidation of media ownership.
  • Newsroom closures.
  • News “reports” which are little more than advertising for various products and services.
  • How key presenters of the same commercial network shows have been fodder for the tabloid gossip mongers.
  • The treatment of minority groups in media coverage, comparing the commercial networks and public broadcasters in this regard is almost like looking at two completely different media landscapes.
  • Social media and the way that has changed the news/dissemination of information.

All these things (and probably more) deserve to be talked about far more than they are now and with no disrespect to the likes of Media Watch, an accessible entertainment show is probably the best way to get that critical thinking about the media into the general public’s consciousness.

1 Like

Say That Again
A spin-off of the Talking Footy segment, presented by Luke Darcy or Tim Watson.

This show would go beyond the AFL boundaries, also picking up bloopers/mis-sayings from other sports, other television shows (such as My Kitchen Rules) and even overseas.

1 Like

Ten could produce a late night news show called Ten News Nation. It could screen for 2 hours comprising of the full 5pm Sydney News bulletin integrated with the local stories by local presenters in the other states. There would be a 60 minutes style intro of the news presenters featuring that night with slight edits to intros and outros for this presentation.

Timeslot: initially in could feature as part of a news and talk themed overnight schedule on 10Bold (based on previous suggestion that the Infomercials in the midnight to 6am slot on 10Bold be moved to 10Peach). My original suggestion started such as lineup at 12:30. My new thought is start at 11:30pm. Rough schedule below
Monday To Friday
11:30pm The Late Show
12:30am The Late Late Show
1:30am Ten News Nation*
3:30am CBS This Morning*
5:00am The Project

Saturday/Sunday
11:30pm Graham Norton Show
12:30am 48 Hours
1:30am Dr Phil
2:30am The Doctors*
3:30am CBS This Morning*
5:00am The Sunday Project or RPM

• Fill in program Studio 10 encore

New program idea

Title: Demo, Reno or Demolish

Concept: 3 experts give their opinion as to whether a property is saleable as is, whether it needs a Reno/makeover or if it is beyond repair.

Host: Would depend on who it was produced for. If Ten, it could be Amanda Keller, if Nine, Shelley Craft and if Seven, either Jamie Durie OR Johanna Griggs

Duration: 1 hour show, number of episodes depends on the relevant networks needs/demands

3 Likes

News Express
This would air as a five-minute update at 3:00pm in the afternoon on Seven and Nine, and has the exact same format as a news bulletin on Sunrise/Today (including live crosses, and quick sport/weather updates). Presented in each local market by their respective presenters.

1 Like

Further to my post above - unlike Sunrise/Today where they cross to reporters around the country, in each local News Express they’ll only cross live to local reporters, or have a pre-recorded report shown.

Here’s one…Closedown.

The idea is that the station closes down for a few hours. I’ve already done a pilot, here’s a screen cap of said pilot.

8 Likes

Love it. Does that come with the tone, silence or heaven forbid, some sort of simulcasted radio?

1 Like

Sure, why not? Even have a ticker along the bottom too! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Does it feature commercial breaks too?

Nah, just put the logos on the card itself if you were that way inclined.

Or they could have running text at the bottom of the screen like they used to in the cricket

Eg if the station closed at 1am in the first hour could run say alcohol lineage with product emblem eg Tooheys logo with the words “I feel like a Tooheys or two”, then in the last hour say 4am to 5am have the Coco Pops logo with the words “just like a chocolate milkshake only crunchy”

I think the axing of The Daily Edition is a sign of what is to come and a wake up call for the TV industry.

It probably won’t be too long before any of those mid-late morning shows are cut back to 2 hours and perhaps even splitting those breakfast shows in 2 - perhaps something similar to how Sunrise used to be. I would envisage it could look something like this. This assumes Studio 10 is axed and Seven and Nine attempt to capitalise on that

Nine
5:00am Early Today
6:00am Nine Early News
6:30 Today
8:30am Mornings
10:30am Nine Morning News
11:00am Ellen DeGeneres Show
12:00pm Reality/7:30pm encore
1:00pm-ish Movie

Seven
5:00am Early Sunrise
6:00am Seven Early News
6:30am Sunrise
8:30am The Morning Show
10:30am Seven Morning News
11:00am The Chase UK
12:00pm Midday Movie
2:00pm Reality TV encore/7:30pm encore
3:00pm Border Security or Highway Patrol
3:30pm Home And Away encore

2 Likes

Not exactly a new TV show idea, but what if The Morning Show rebranded as Sunrise Plus?

The show would retain much (if not all) of the TMS format, and still be hosted by Larry Emdur and Kylie Gillies. The show would also retain its PG rating.

Sunrise would either finish on the couch or outside the plaza, and Sunrise Plus would begin on the Sunrise desk (or vice versa).

Some changes I’d have with the new format would be:

• It would begin with Larry and Kylie welcoming viewers to the show, then previewing what’s ahead on the show before throwing to Angela Cox or Sally Bowrey who would read the news headlines with crosses to the Sunrise correspondents/reporters.
  • Cox/Bowrey then throws back to Larry and Kylie and the show proceeds as normal.
  • Sunrise Plus graphics would also be mostly the same as its parent show.

They wouldn’t do this because they wouldn’t use the Sunrise brand on a program with infomercials.

3 Likes