General TV History

1987 and Seven in Brisbane broadcast Sevenrock a music video clip show that was simulcast on FM 104 when it was a great rock station.

New upload of promo

4 Likes

Good find!

I think they had one called FMTV Rock somewhere along the line too…?

Might have been earlier than 1987… ?

Here’s another I just uploaded from 1987 a TVO station ident followed by Stereo 10 sponsor board “Television on Radio”

Earlier upload showing the Stereo 10 advert

2 Likes

NRTV ident with opener for TCN 9 News 7 Feb 1987.

6 Likes

From the same night on TVO; the 6pm line and Eyewitness News opener and then the 7pm line-up with station ident and Neighbours opener featuring a young Guy Pearce. Where have all the good idents gone?

3 Likes

I think that was on Channel 7 in Perth, simulcast with 96FM.

And SAS10 in Adelaide had Simulrock with SAFM.

1 Like

Where has the honest programme timings gone too?

Can you imagine an Australian network now listing 7.32 Mash favourites, and 8.31 Movies??

1 Like

The good old days when you could rely on TV stations to provide accurate schedule information and the only time shows didn’t sometimes start at the scheduled time was when they followed live sport. I’m so mistrustful of the information they provide these days that if I see the odd thing that catches my interest I’ll try to source it elsewhere rather than play the cat and mouse game.

I can’t believe it was once possible to programme a VCR to finish recording a show at 8.29pm and then start to record something else on another channel at 8.30pm without losing a second of either show. I used to dial the time to ensure the VCR timer was exactly correct when I changed the clock at the start and finish of daylight saving. “At the third stroke…”.

Do those old Telstra services still exist- dial the time/weather/prayer etc? Apropos of nothing but I could use Dial a Prayer after the shitty week I’ve had.

2 Likes

I used to do the same but there was a time SBS used to have a clock on their test pattern, and their test pattern was on for most of the day, so I used to use that or rely on the time pips on the radio. Do any stations even bother with time pips anymore? I guess ABC or 3AW still does them in Melbourne.

I do remember there used to be a whole list of recorded information numbers, but I think only the time 1194 still exists. There may still be a weather number but I think anything else was redundant long ago with the advent of premium numbers like 0055 and 1900 and the internet.

Hope you have a better one this week NW!

3 Likes

New video. As I say in my blurb, bit of an uneventful clip, but, anyway… here it is:

And something else… a bit fun.

4 Likes

Sydney (ten) always seems to have whacky weather presenters?

2 Likes

Memorable advert from the 90s for the board game Scattergories

American Version

1 Like

Brian Bury was at least a meteorologist (I think)

On another note, I’ve put into perspective into how Daily Bailey does his weather, and I feel like that although it is a bit annoying, I quite enjoy his presenting style because he is very unique compared to different presenters.

1 Like

A problem with radio station time pips now is that they are only accurate from an analogue service. If you listen via DAB+ or streaming they are delayed. I used to use WWVH Hawaii to get the time.

1 Like

[quote=“TelevisionAU, post:1457, topic:137, full:true”]Do any stations even bother with time pips anymore? I guess ABC or 3AW still does them in Melbourne.
[/quote]

2GB in Sydney does. Also ABC Local Radio in metros do but Regionals don’t. I have noticed that when I’ve been in Sydney or Melbourne

Long way to go just to get the time

3 Likes

I completely agree, he is so engaging, and the things he says just make you laugh!

It’s a shortwave station. WWV was the other, based in Denver IIRC. Broadcast on 5MHz, 10MHz, 15MHz and I think even 20 MHz

I don’t think so. He was in showbiz long before doing the weather on Today.

1 Like

There was also VNG available from Lyndhurst.

Anyway - I thought it was interesting how BTQ added a hint of It’s Happening Here to Love You Brisbane in this ident.

Plus an SBS station opening, line up and ident from 30 years ago.

3 Likes