General TV History

10 years ago, 16 November 2008 a supercell storm hit The Gap in Brisbane.

Openers from the commercial news of the next day. A lot of faces still on air.

3 Likes

I was surprised that 7 allowed 60 Minutes access to interview newsreader Greg Pearce on set for a story that was not going to paint 7 in a positive light. Less surprised about David Johnston, he and Jana were old colleagues :wink:

2 Likes

Did Seven have anything to lose by allowing Pearce to appear on the top rating show in the country when the Seven Melbourne bulletin had next to no viewers at the time?

Fair point. The news ratings were already zero, the only way is up.

To Pearce’s credit the ratings did sneak up a bit towards the end of the year but still placed Seven in single figures, way behind 9 and 10 news. Wasn’t enough to save his job. Skase management decided it best to start over again and they had Jennifer Keyte ready to go

Thanks but watching that report was the reason why I was wondering if someone got the last episode from March 1987

I remember Jen as the solo presenter of Seven News Melbourne, while Peter Mitchell was weekend. If only when David Johnston came back they put him on weekends rather than in a duo with Jen. Maybe then she might’ve stayed in the weeknight role for longer and Seven might still have Jen with them today.

He likely wouldn’t have moved across unless he got weeknights.

This is the one that tore the roof off BTQ!

2 Likes

Initially it was a double header with Glen Taylor. Thanks to telerecordings via YouTube

1 Like

And Glenn Taylor.

That partnership lasted not more than 18 months, then Jen read solo until she left for 9 to head up a medical magazine type show called Good Medicine IIRC.

And Peter Mitchell from GTV9 was brought over at the same time.

Although the movie itself doesn’t have any logos, the trailer for Dirty Deeds includes a (full) Nine Films and Television logo at the start which also precedes the warning screen on the DVD:

Went back to his practice I assume. He’s a shrink

SCA Eleven pre-launch promo loop in-between promo card (2011).

5 Likes

Yes. Although Jennifer was signed up by Seven by about mid 87 but was kept off air until relaunching in the new year. I recall seeing the Channel 7 stand at the Royal Melb Show in September they had posters that Jennifer Keyte had joined 7 and was “coming soon” but didn’t state in what capacity

Glenn I don’t think was signed up to HSV until much later in the year. I think he was finishing up at 7 in another city (Perth? Brisbane?) before HSV signed him.

3 Likes

Ten Capital News - I have no idea how they did it but everything I’ve seen from Ten Capital looked miles better than just about any other station in Australia and like it was from some big market station in the US… :wink:

I also loved Capital because they kept my favourite theme - amazingly - for a few years after it was axed by Ten.
6 Likes

Some more for you @jens :

1 Like

It was BTQ Brisbane. I think. Or maybe just the Brisbane market!

When was Ten Capital news axed? 2001?