General TV History

I imagine that in the lower-noise environment outside the city it would have been less of a problem. Of course, as has been mentioned, no one in the Darling Downs had Band I antennas which may have made things tricky at first

From my understanding though, DDQ/RTQ0 got out really well across the Downs, far better than the UHF equivalents or DTV replacements now do

2 Likes

Sandra Sully breaking the news of 9/11 17 years ago on this day tomorrow.

Most of the FTA networks were airing late night bulletins around 10.30pm AEST

Nope. Only 10 was. 7 & 9 waited until closer to 11.30pm which was their scheduled late news that night.

1 Like

When 7 and 9 started airing their late night news bulletins, the attacks were well underway.

Susannah Carr presented the horrific 9-11 attacks in the TVW-7 studios in Perth at 6pm. Alison Fan was in the US Consulate on St Georges Tce during that time.

Peter Hitchener presented the devastating September 11 Attacks in GTV-9 Studios.

Sandra Sully reflects on the 10-year anniversary of 911 back in 2011.
3 Likes

Seven & Nine 9/11 Coverage:
Promo:

This is all I have of Nine’s coverage, so don’t expect more of it!
2 Likes

Do you have anymore of 7’s coverage.

I do, but since Seven hired a new ‘Content Rights Manager’ last year I can’t really upload any Seven content unfortunately. So this is really all I can offer.

1 Like

It’s understandable that September 11 coverage gets brought up again, particularly because it was a Tuesday both in 2001 and this year.

But in less than two weeks time it will have been 25 years since the 2000 Olympics decision, which of course resulted in Australia hosting one of its biggest ever events shortly after the turn of the millennium and Sydney gradually seeing their main sports & entertainment hub shift from Moore Park (except the SCG, still the first choice for cricket & as home ground for the Swans) to Homebush in the years leading up to/after the Olympic Games.

Granted there is/was a few clips of Australian news coverage of the announcement being made on YouTube, probably of that Seven/Nine co-operative broadcast hosted by Bruce McAvaney and Ray Martin. But as far as I’m aware, most reports shown during the news bulletins on the night of 24/9/1993 are still yet to surface. When Nine did a “On This Day” post on their website a few years back (video mightn’t be online anymore though, since it was pre nineMSN > Nine.com.au switch IIRC) there was a clip of Brian Henderson introducing that edition of National Nine News Sydney + Robert Penfold’s report posted, but that’s about all I’ve seen.

So if it’s at all possible, I’d personally be interested to see footage of the coverage from the evening news bulletins (preferably from Sydney, although footage from any market would be very much appreciated of course) at some point in the future! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Don’t forget NBN’s coverage with Jodi McKay (now NSW member for Strathfield):

3 Likes

NBN simulcasted ABC America until 1.00am with the Network coverage

1 Like

I’m interested to hear more about this. Why was it a joint broadcast?

I don’t have what you requested. However, I’ve uploaded some of the Network 10 coverage of the announcement. There might be some interest in reliving that.

9 Likes

On the subject of September 11, this is how TV3 (New Zealand) started its 6pm bulletin that night.

I reckon it’s an anchoring masterclass from John Campbell in particular. Authorative but in an almost calming manner given the events of the day. (Most of the bulletin follows from the same user on YouTube.)

Those with an interest in NZ TV will note Wendy Petrie crossing live into the bulletin around 8:45 in the video. Less than five years later she’d be appointed as the co-anchor of One News, a role she remains in today.

Both TV1 and TV3 suspended programming early that morning to cover the attacks, with TV3 moving its morning (kids shows)/daytime programming to sister station TV4 which usually ran informercials until 4pm.

4 Likes

Chris Reason presented the 9-11 attacks from the BTQ7 studios in 2001.

Lee Lin Chin also presented the horrible 911 attacks on the SBS News.

I know that due to the extensive time zone difference between New York and Australia, the massive news broke on Wednesday 12 September 2001. ABC, SBS, Seven, Nine and TEN had an extended news coverage during primetime. I was horrified when the events had broke around the world.
Nine didn’t have Sale of the Century on during that time and I guessed that they had to delay this episode 2 days later. How long did the news on the 9-11 run for on ABC, SBS, Seven, Nine and TEN?

1 Like

I believe it had something to do with the announcement requiring a host broadcaster.

The pooled Seven/Nine feed was apparently made available to other broadcasters, although I’m not sure if Ten used it because they seemed to do a fair bit of their own coverage judging by the clip TV Cynic has posted.

Oh well, the footage you’ve posted was still quite interesting to watch!

I think that’s Damian Ryan (in one of the last major stories he covered for Ten before joining Nine in 1994, probably after his incredible coverage of the NSW Bushfires for Ten in January) preparing for an interview or live cross at the 5.53-5.56 mark? :slight_smile:
%23

I think there was something like 48 hours of continuous coverage in the aftermath of September 11? Most non-news programs scheduled for Wednesday & Thursday were probably delayed or cancelled.

3 Likes

I’ve got TV Week’s listing from that morning. Seven and Nine had coverage from 3am-9am, while Ten was live 2.30am-5am with later updates during the 6am repeat of Sports Tonight

That evening also marked the first prime time appearance of The Footy Show, as a grand final preview ahead of it becoming a regular show in 1994, and without Eddie McGuire who was still at Ten at this time. (He went across to Nine sometime over the summer)

2 Likes

ABC Australia’s coverage. News broke during Lateline and it was a simulcast of CNN for most of the night.

I have video (poor quality) of a Seven News special hosted by Ann Sanders that aired on the afternoon before the Olympic city announcement and the first few minutes of the Seven News bulletin that followed. Don’t think I recorded the bulletin from the 24th that covered the announcement and celebrations.

3 Likes

I don’t have any TV coverage but I have that afternoon’s edition of the Herald Sun. I thought I had the Daily Telegraph for the same day but I can’t locate it

6 Likes