General TV History

GeoCities, #myfriend. (archived via oocities/internetarchive

When did MVQ6 use this logo?

Seems I’ve contributed so much content to that website without having done so. Pity it doesn’t seem to allow for acknowledgement of where material has been sourced from?

So many inaccuracies there too

3 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: TV History - Questions

Inaccuracies? such as?

I think I’ve provided enough content for that website already (inadvertently) without having to provide corrections as well :wink:

Biggest issue is people assuming dates/years for certain things which are incorrect.

2 Likes

LA Olympics - the changeover from the Australian based evening coverage to live coverage from LA at midnight eastern.

As listed in classic TV listings

2 Likes

The other thing about Eric Walters was that - unlike the vast majority of “readers” at that time, including Henderson and Climpson - Walters could command breaking news. He was totally adept and comfortable going off autocue and slipping into continuous coverage mode (which, of course, was extremely rare back then). This is a bit from my tape.

Of course, Ron Wilson was always very capable at this stuff too:

If you tell me which ones are incorrect, i can change them.

Though on screen, the Brady Bunch house was 2 stories inside.

Looks pretty much like a single story place in that picture…

1 Like

A terrific collection of ads and memorabilia from 1988.

1 Like

Cheers but if I feel compelled to fill in any gaps I will sign up and do them myself

5 Likes

Thanks for your feedback. The questions thread was created to give you a place to ask about things without overrunning this thread, however people are under no obligation to provide an answer.

9 Likes

Here is the full program for the 50 years of Southern Cross Television in Tasmania from 2012

7 Likes

One of my videos that is a bit under-viewed imo:

Probably because it was one of the last I uploaded from the time. Knock-out everything - anchors, theme, set, package.
2 Likes

Going by Ron’s signoff that recording was from Wednesday the 17th…or five days before the relaunch.

Just out of interest, have you got any video of Openers, Closers or any other in-bulletin elements from the very short-lived Ian Leslie era of Sydney’s Ten Evening News by any chance? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wish I did. Sorry. You can find bits on goof tapes - I have their 1990 goof tape and the 91 goof tape has been posted on YouTube. Of course I have posted their amazing promo for Ian Leslie’s launch. I was a young Ten fan at the time (only returned to Australia 3 months earlier in late 89, lucky to catch the Eyewitness era :wink: ) and I liked the Ten Evening News, but few others did. I remember it was very dark!! And, yes, Ian Leslie was kind of stilted. Eric Walters carried the torch very well for a year until the big big re-launch in '91!

1 Like

Oh well, it was worth an ask anyway! :slight_smile:

Judging by the clips I’ve seen from that time period, I think it (judging by the very brief snippets I’ve seen before) was an OK look.

Although with Brian Henderson (the Sydney ratings for National Nine News in 1990 were probably among their best ever) and Roger Climpson as the direct competition, it wouldn’t have been easy for Ten to establish their relaunched product against considerably more familiar and iconic newsreaders…with no disrespect to Ian Leslie & Eric Walters, of course.

It’s to my understanding that Eric Walters was officially in the chair for 11 months (June 1990 to May 1991) before the bulletin was again extended to an hour with Katrina Lee & John Mangos taking over.

As you probably already know, the Ten Eyewitness News brand was revived with the logo change in January 1991 although the titles/graphics from then until the May 20 relaunch were mostly re-edited versions of the “Ten Evening News” look.

1 Like

Yes, and they looked fantastic. Here is one of my favourite vids from my channel. :wink: Superb. By the way, the backstory on that video is - yes, I started rolling at the very last second! Lucky!

5 Likes

#myfriends
5 Likes