General TV History

that would make sense for WA as AUSTAR was never in that state so no access to C7 Sport which did the rest of the country via AUSTAR and Optus TV.

1 Like

From memory it was the first session of each day’s play.

I recall it was damn hard to get a good signal for 31 in the northern suburbs of Perth.

I seem to recall something about bringing up a scoreboard over the top of the picture? It only worked with one TEAC STB, and it was some subset of HTML.

恭喜, 站点创建成功 is a good site for it - the image on there is not a real screenshot though.

I saw one of those Teac boxes in action exactly once - at a full scale Dodo retail store. Can’t remember which had a longer lifespan, the store, or Sports Active.

1 Like

I’ve seen that Sports Active logo on promotional material back then. I also remember Nine using interactive TV technology for a Pompeii docudrama in 2004, where factual information would be overlaid during certain scenes.

7 Likes

I recall Seven did some MHP stuff during the Rugby World Cup in 2003 as well

I remember Nine using the red button for election coverage, most likely 2004?

Hey @myfriend (@youknowwhoamIcalling), it seem that the ABV2 startup with VIC transmitters-only must BEFORE 1985, because the 1985 startup were with ALL transmitters across AU.

Second, WHY each of six state-based stations of ABC are needed to seperately-programmed itself, if each stations had VERY IDENTICAL program, @myfriend ??? I know I’m already asking this question but… look at what you say:

OK, I know that microwave TV was very expensive, but why the Auntie still do the things that very “Stoneage”-like, @myfriend ??? Use bicycle to bring tape to each station ???

#myfriend, our domestic communications infrastructure wasn’t keeping up with demand. There were microwave and Telecom (landline) links but these were expensive and capacity was limited, and not always reliable, so sometimes for material that wasn’t time critical the only other option was to physically send tapes between cities. The commercial channels also used to have to do this to send programs across the country as well. Not just ABC.

The Aussat satellites that launched in 1985 made a huge difference in cross country communications for all networks.

4 Likes

It’s like that Australia Live satellite linkup which ended up costing a squillion dollars because the satellite space cost stupid amounts of money to hire at the time.

1 Like

I certainly hope no one was bicycling a tape between any of the capital city stations.

It was just a separate channel (under the datacast rules) - here’s an old discussion topic on it from the archives of the DTVforum - Nine Network Election 2004 | TV - Free to Air & Streaming

Unfortunately the screen captures are dead links, but my recollection is they just cycled through the numbers in each electorate with the same full screen graphics as the broadcast.

1 Like

ULTRARE.

And wait… did BTW and GSW had any opt-out for each station, @myfriend ???

3 Likes

Not that i know of myfriend

1 Like

Celeb sighting alert :rotating_light: — Just saw Geoff Mullins in a Brisbane cafe. Very exciting. He still looks good, the old bastard! He drinks long blacks too - very good taste.

3 Likes

ULTRARE / UNSEEN ???

RARE.

4 Likes

Just a translator - but it’s worth discussing… especially that’s an abandoned mining community.

And remember - that’s Mary Kathleen - not Katherine, @myfriend.

Second:

(BLACKLINED @myfriend) ABIQ6 ???

2 Likes

Second Google result for ABIQ6 is https://www.northweststar.com.au/story/5165493/when-tv-came-to-the-isa/

The word from the North West Star files is that television officially arrived in the Isa on December 21, 1970 when ABC was first relayed from Townsville under the call sign ABIQ-6.

The first commercial channel did not arrive until the following year.

1 Like

Does anyone know what year this was?

2 Likes

There was a problem with electricity supply in Queensland due to record demand and hot weather during February 1998. I believe that logo was in use at that time.

2 Likes