General TV History

In Shepparton, Victoria, in addition to the local GMV6 and the ABC most people were able to receive RVN’s sister station AMV4 Albury and BCV8 Bendigo, to this day you will still see these tall antenna setups on older houses in Shepparton. And Mechsta you’re right, RVN2/AMV4 had better programming than CTC7 or GMV6, judging by looking at the TV guides from the past.

Yeah that sort of thing was common place here in Newcastle as well. Many a house had a large rooftop antenna so we could get 7,9 and 10 from Sydney

1 Like

There was only one station who thought Aggregation was a good idea from the outset-STV Mildura, but they got dumped out of the Victorian approved market, in favour of AMV. When licencees had to choose between the means to get to full Aggregation- immediate, or a few years of multi-channel operations first, they all publicly chose the later, including WIN, right up until the day they had to inform the government (SNSW being the first market). WIN surprised everyone by announcing they would favour immediate Aggregation, so CTC and CBN/RVN we’re forced to follow, as it was a one in-all in requirement specified by the Government. Once that market was decided, most licensees in the other approved markets generally favoured immediate Aggregation, I think Southern Cross might have been the only station that preferred multi channel to the end.

3 Likes

They were probably in favour given the massive boost in viewers they’d have picked up in the other regions while the neighbouring channels only would pick up a relatively small number from within the much smaller Mildura market yet still have to fund the expansion of their transmission there. I guess that’s why Mildura ultimately got ruled out?

Interesting that I have just noticed that MTN9 and ITQ8 were also not named on that brochure. Were they included in the original scope for aggregation or were they always to be excluded from the concept?

Surprised that CTC were not in favour given their ownership by Kerry Stokes who was tied up in the Ten Network. I just assumed CTC would have preferred aggregation to tie in with the network.

Bizarre concept that only one operator gets to sway the whole region across. Bruce Gordon was pals with the Packers though, right? I guess they sweet talked him into going along with it at the last minute.

The Canberra Times also published listings for WIN4 in Wollongong, although it was not receivable anywhere in the ACT, it was in surrounding districts such as Goulburn, Braidwood (both via fortuitous reception) as well as Bateman’s Bay (in WIN’s primary service area, via a translator, also a popular beach holiday spot with Canberrans), I presume those areas also were in the main circulation area for the Canberra Times.

2 Likes

I know thine is an Amercian Television History moment but still one I find fasinating from a technical stand point.

It was 30 Years Ago Today that the Infamous Max Headroom Intrution incident occured in Chicago.
Here’s a couple of YouTube Clips to give you an idea of what happened.

Here’s some news reports of the incident from the following day

The culprits to this day have never been caught

8 Likes

Surprised that CTC were not in favour given their ownership by Kerry Stokes who was tied up in the Ten Network. I just assumed CTC would have preferred aggregation to tie in with the network.

Regardless of ownership, it would always be better for the station to have the monopoly, especially in the larger markets.

Bizarre concept that only one operator gets to sway the whole region across. Bruce Gordon was pals with the Packers though, right? I guess they sweet talked him into going along with it at the last minute.

Stations initially favoured the multi-channel lead up to Aggregation, because I think they were secretly hoping that, after a few years of multi-channel, the government would see that that system was working well, and wouldn’t force the stations to swap their supplementary channels with their to-be competitors. But in the lead up to decision day, stations could see it probably wasn’t worth the hassle of the intermediate step, only to have to rearrange everything a few years later. I think you’re right, WIN probably had a pretty good idea they would become the 9 affiliate if they went direct Aggregation.

3 Likes

It’s a true photo, from Kangaroo Pt, that’s Waterfront Place on the left.

Who was the owner then of STV?

The Ashes promo from the 90s. Miss these jungles. Today’s promos are so bland and forgettable.

2 Likes

Eva Presser’s Sunraysia Television.

2 Likes

Pressers owned it then? Very good to know.

Deforestation is the white elephant of the cricketing world :frowning:

1 Like

Remembering the 2010-11 Ashes opener with Richie Benaud singing to the tune of Nine’s Cricket.

2 Likes

That 2010-11 opener is also my favourite Channel 9 cricket opener, just ahead of the 2006-07 one.

I still prefer this one from the 80s

4 Likes

2004 is my favourite.

2 Likes

^ This is the correct opinion.

1 Like

This is the one I remember!

1 Like

This was ABC2’s opening day but Australia Wide is only 15/30 minutes. Melinda Nucifora was one of its first hosts but I’m not sure if she was there on day one.

ABC2. Monday 7 March 2005
6.30am Landline (Rpt)
7.30 Insiders (Rpt)
8am Inside Business (Rpt)
8.30 Seven Days (Rpt)
9am Asia Pacific Focus (Rpt)
9.30 Australian Story Classics
10am ABC2 Kids
3pm Gardening Australia (Rpt)
3.30 A Place In France
4pm Landline (Rpt)
5pm Australia Wide