General TV History

Finally! A Seven Nightly News Perth opener has been posted from the 1990’s.

6 Likes

Still love the original version of The Mission the best …

Some Seven News Perth intros from the early 2000’s but in audio form when TVW had a shot of their presenters presenting on that particular night in their opener.

5 Likes

Good compilation from the uploader, it must’ve taken ages to record all those!

I’m guessing that some of the Intros were probably only ever played once or twice?

3 Likes

Probably! Never knew Howard Gretton (current director of 7 News Perth) once anchored news bulletins.

3 Likes

They really need to bring back a remixed version of this theme. Simply one of the best themes in Australia.

3 Likes

Fred Botica is the voice over for TVW7 Perth

1 Like

Great compilation… But it begs the question, if they have those short introductory sequences, do they have the whole openers or any montages as well ???

Replying to some posts in a more relevant thread…

How many times has Let’s Make A Deal been tried by Australian TV? I’m aware Ten briefly ran a version hosted by Vince Sorrenti for the 5.30pm timeslot back in 1991, but apart from that?

Larry Emdur was the only redeeming feature of the 2012 incarnation of The (Big W) Price Is Right.

Perhaps most notable for ACA report-worthy controversies (accusations of home viewer competition rigging,not paying contestants who appeared on programs which didn’t air) and Tanveer “No Bingo” Ahmed as the card referee!

Come to think of it, 2007 was probably the last year that game/quiz shows really dominated the schedules of Australia’s commercial TV networks: Bert’s Family Feud, Temptation, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, 1 vs 100, The Rich List, Deal Or No Deal and The ConTest were the others which aired that year.

Fast forward a decade…The Chase Australia, Millionaire Hot Seat and Family Feud are probably the only shows in the genre left?

There was a version in 1977 which was hosted by Jimmy Hannan and at least one earlier version was in 1969 but I don’t know who hosted that one.

1 Like

Prior to Vince, the hosts were Mike Dyer, John Laws, Jimmy Hannan, and Garry Meadows.

I remember the 2012 remake of The Price is Right ended up as a story on A Current Affair as The Price is Tight.

2 Likes

In the same edition as this 1973 TV listing is this double-page ad spread for Channel 7’s “Grand Slam of Entertainment”

Source: Listener In-TV

3 Likes

And here is the station promo used by HSV7 used around that time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wU1Zciz8Lg

Gold Coast surf reporter, Andy ‘Mac’ has retired from his radio reports.

Andy was the surf reporter on Prime Gold Coast News back when they had a quality collection of staff but no ratings numbers to monetise (hence local news bulletins began on QTQ that were in the metro ratings).

This article: http://blankgc.com.au/andy-mac-hangs-up-the-surf-report-phone/ makes mention of Lismore uni students making use of the former NRTV studio back in the 80’s.

This would indicate that when RTN and NRN merged, no television production stopped at Goonellabah at some stage.

WIN Television - Bring It On Promos:

Movies:

Illawarra Ident from 1989:

3 Likes

CBS** and WIN jointly sponsoring soccer back in 1990.

** Canberra Building Society

9 Likes

A couple of images from the tribute that Nine News broadcast last week to Melofy Illife.

4 Likes

Here’s an ABC promo for their coverage of the rugby league grand final. I think it needs more orchestra hits.

When did the ABC last telecast the rugby league grand final?

And back then, what was the purpose of the ABC broadcasting simultaneously with the commercial TV rights holders?

2 Likes

The ABC was last broadcasting the Rugby League grand final live into Sydney in 1992, whilst its last live coverage in regional NSW occurred the following year. In 1994 & 1995, the ABC aired an hour-long highlights package at 6pm.

Probably to benefit regional viewers, particularly those who were not affected by regional TV aggregation, such as those in far western NSW (at least from 1992 onwards). It was the same with the cricket.

2 Likes

ABC telecast Super League (one Sunday game) in 1997 so I presume that the grand final that year was shown.

Also, Victoria did not get the 1989 Grand Final live (only highlights at 5pm) because ABC telecast the VFA (now VFL) Grand Final which was held simultaneously. In Melbourne the Rugby League Grand Final was shown live on ATV10 (not sure about regional stations at the time).

2 Likes