General TV History

That was because in Canberra, ABC TV was transmitting on VHF-3, which its audio carrier was within the FM band at 91.75 MHz. In 1995, ABC TV in Canberra moved to VHF-9 in order to make more room on the FM band.

1 Like

Thanks @TV-Expert. Good to know my memory isn’t failing me yet :wink:

1 Like

We had the same thing in Northern Tas with ABNT3. Was great.

Rage was definitely simulcast for a long period there but I think it was only the Saturday night one as mentioned and only from about 1am I think to 6am.

Brisbane could receive ABDQ 3 from Darling Downs well on 91.75

I remember listening to Wheel Of Fortune on the drive home from Canberra, picking up AMV4 from Albury on FM. It’s actually really hard to follow Wheel Of Fortune when you’ve just got audio :wink:

At home I could always hear ABC from Channel 4 Gippsland on the radio. At the time I didn’t realise that’s what it was. I just thought it was some sort of dodgy signal from local Channel 2. And with ABC having identical content across Melbourne and country there was no real way to decipher where the FM signal was coming from.

4 Likes

Putting up today’s TV listing reminded me of this interview from that first edition of 60 Minutes for 1988… 30 years ago tonight. Richard Carleton interviewing the owners of all 3 commercial networks, Christopher Skase, Alan Bond and Frank Lowy. Twelve month earlier the networks all had different owners, and within a couple of years of this interview all three had lost control of their respective networks.

YouTube: australia13i8ia

2 Likes

Some GWN Content from 1993:
Idents:

Movie Intro:

PRG:

GWN Late News Weather & Closer 4th March 1993:

4 Likes

Wow, where did you get those from?

I got a bulk of tapes yesterday from the Op Shop, someone must’ve been originally from regional WA because only 1 tape had GWN content while the rest of the them have Illawarra content…

2 Likes

I was a bit the same… I remember thinking that because NBN3 could be heard on FM, that every commercial TV station does it.

I remember trying to get 7, 9 and 10 Sydney on FM and being disappointed when I got nothing.

I then thought “oh NBN are community minded with telethons etc that they must be doing it for the viewers that aren’t near a TV”.

One night in the car on the way home from Sydney during the sport on the 6pm news, they were covering the football and they said “if you don’t want to know the score, look away now”… I didn’t know whether to laugh or not!

1 Like

Interesting to hear.

I wonder if anyone from Regional WA might be able to identify the full name of that newsreader who is only known as “John” in that partial bulletin. UPDATE: It’s John McCourt.

Also noticed that the final piece was from Sheryl Taylor who would’ve been the Health Reporter at Channel Nine in Sydney at the time - Golden West News must’ve been doing composite news bulletins back then?

1 Like

Yep, one-hour composite local and national bulletin. Up until the time WIN came into the region, then GWN News became a half-hour regional bulletin and they started relaying Seven News from Perth.

2 Likes

Great finds @Zampakid :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. :slight_smile:

I think they swapped to a half-hour local bulletin about a month before WIN launched. Sonia Vinci moved to Nine News Perth after that, IIRC. I think Steve Levar had already left by then, too.

I remember the hype around the changes. By then, GWN (and Prime) had virtually dropped the ‘This is where we live…’ campaign and started using Seven’s presentation for just about everything - promos, modified ‘The One to Watch’ idents, Olympics promos and Seven News/TT around the corner. Was the beginning of the end of GWN’s monopoly!

4 Likes

I think you can find something like this…

5 Likes

That middle row looks like something a range of cheap electrical appliances would have as a logo - but I quite like the first on the bottom.

I’m surprised the Prime ownership didn’t result in something like this happening however.

gwn

9 Likes

Their best logo and package by far.

Me too. I made a mock of that logo back when I was a kid and first learned of Prime. I figured it was inevitable.

gwn201gwn202

4 Likes

5 Likes

i had some VHS footage taken from a brief stay in Kalgoorlie in 1996 with that ID that transitions into the news intro. There is also a version where the ID turns into the movie intro. I’ve gone through all the tapes i thought it was on and can’t find it anywhere :frowning:

1 Like