General TV History

In case I’m not the only one who went looking - here’s an episode of the Australian version of Let’s Make A Deal:

Australian television premieres on this day in TV history:

• Sixty Minutes Australia (1979)
  • Hey Dad…! (1987)
  • Col’n Carpenter (1990)
2 Likes

Although successful for it’s time, this is a program in Australian TV history that’s probably best forgotten these days…

4 Likes

The show still stands as one of the most successful attempts at a sitcom in Australian television history even if it did turn out the star was a monster.

3 Likes

The Midday Show (1985)
The Box (1974) (11 February possibly only the Melbourne debut. I think it debuted in Sydney the next day. Surprisingly it rated much higher on debut in Sydney than it did in Melbourne where it was made)

Also possibly the only time I’d seen a show’s producer put out a newspaper ad ahead of the show’s debut to defend its adult nature

It also clocked up more episodes than legendary US sitcoms like MASH, Friends, Happy Days, Seinfeld and Bewitched

3 Likes

New upload

5 Likes

Judging from the logo on the camera that Maurice Gibb is jokingly operating here is it same to assume that Seven filmed (and broadcast?) the Bee Gees’ One For All Tour concert at The National Tennis Centre (now Rod Laver Arena) in 1989?

Screenshot from the recently released Blu Ray.

3 Likes

Listed in the TV guide for Channel Seven Sydney on November 18, 1989:

Surprisingly, this one didn’t seem to be simulcast on a local FM station like a lot of the TV broadcasts for concerts were back in the '80s and '90s.

3 Likes

FM simulcasts seemed to fall out of popularity from the mid 80s onwards.

Very popular up until then though.

1 Like

Even some AM stations were carrying TV simulcasts, though it’s unclear why. The plus with FM was stereo sound, which TV was still catching up on. Unless you were one of the handful of people with an AM Stereo receiver an AM simulcast would be mostly redundant :stuck_out_tongue:

Then there were the music video shows that were TV-FM simulcasts. Adelaide’s SAS10 and SAFM had Simulrock. TVW7 and 96FM in Perth had one which I can’t remember the name now. FMTV? Or something like that??

Channel 10 in Sydney and Melbourne had an afternoon show circa 1982, called WROK. Simulcast in Sydney on 2SM and Melbourne on 3XY. Very short-lived show. It’s unclear if it was one show across both cities or if each city had their own version.

MTV in its early days on Channel 9 I’m pretty sure was simulcast with FM radio.

3 Likes

Didn’t Rage used to be simulcast on Triple J back in the 90s too? Or am I dreaming it

2 Likes

Nope, from 1am I think. Might’ve crept into the 00s.

1 Like

They did. I think it was only simulcast on Saturday nights though?

1 Like

I remember panelling The Panel on Triple M back in the early 00’s

5 Likes

Was ABC TV was simulcast on radio at some point in the early 90s? I recall listening to children’s programming (Sesame Street, Play School et. al.) in my parents’ car a few times.

That was because in Canberra, ABC TV was transmitting on VHF-3, which its audio carrier was within the FM band at 91.75 MHz. In 1995, ABC TV in Canberra moved to VHF-9 in order to make more room on the FM band.

1 Like

Thanks @TV-Expert. Good to know my memory isn’t failing me yet :wink:

1 Like

We had the same thing in Northern Tas with ABNT3. Was great.

Rage was definitely simulcast for a long period there but I think it was only the Saturday night one as mentioned and only from about 1am I think to 6am.

Brisbane could receive ABDQ 3 from Darling Downs well on 91.75

I remember listening to Wheel Of Fortune on the drive home from Canberra, picking up AMV4 from Albury on FM. It’s actually really hard to follow Wheel Of Fortune when you’ve just got audio :wink:

At home I could always hear ABC from Channel 4 Gippsland on the radio. At the time I didn’t realise that’s what it was. I just thought it was some sort of dodgy signal from local Channel 2. And with ABC having identical content across Melbourne and country there was no real way to decipher where the FM signal was coming from.

4 Likes