General TV History

If I remember correctly, a similar thing occurred when SCTV used to handover to Seven Melbourne. Both the SC and Seven PRG’s would appear for a couple of segments of the current content at first, and then just the Seven PRG appeared by itself from thereafter. The local promos and commercials would continue to play over the top however for some time, and in some instances, when SC returned a little too early to the program you would often catch a glimpse of the metro feed ad-break fade-out and return the program as well.

It’s interesting to see that the SCN and Ten PRG’s are slightly different in that clip. The SCN PRG displays that it’s a “B&W transmission” movie whereas Ten’s PRG doesn’t.

1 Like

The original Family Feud was produced at TVW but then shifted production to GTV9 in Melbourne, but continued to air in Perth on TVW7.

In a weird anomaly Family Feud was also shown on 7 in Brisbane and Adelaide even after production shifted to 9 in Melbourne.

The Mike Walsh Show was also on TVW7 even though produced at 9 in Sydney. TVW fought to keep the show after STW9 gained the Nine affiliation but eventually lost out and the show went across to STW.

1 Like

These snippets of the metro feeds often seemed to be shown when a station was working off a dirty feed - it still happens these days when timing issues arise with automation. I wonder why the networks didn’t insert a second or so of black at either sides of the breaks or at opt points? Stations like ITV in the UK still do that now with a fade to black between idents, programmes and promos so their affiliates (these days only STV, but previously others) can opt in and out cleanly. Australian TV’s junctions have always been faster-paced than the UK’s though - so it probably just wasn’t the “done thing”.

Another question - when aggregation came along and stations aligned their schedules with the metro stations, what happened to serials like Neighbours and H&A or imports that they had previously shown at their own pace, some months behind the city stations. Did regional viewers miss a chunk of episodes when the stations began taking the metro feed?

I would assume so but have nothing to verify. Of course for some of these regions those shows had never appeared before aggregation. For instance Canberra I don’t think got H&A at all before Prime came on there.

Tasmania just stayed months behind for years with both Neighbours and H&A on Southern Cross. The only thing that changed was the times of both but that might not have even been due to aggregation. It was in the 2000’s when we finally caught up on both shows. neighbours was just in time for the switch to being on TDT only as I think there was a period where TDT was ahead of SC.

1 Like

While retrieving today’s TV listing in Classic TV Listings I came across this article about a singer-songwriter called Jamie Dunn.

Reckon this is the same Jamie Dunn a.k.a. Agro?

Check out the big '70s hair!

Source: TV Week

1 Like

You are right, Canberra didn’t have Home & Away until Prime started in March 1989.

RVN in Wagga showed Home and Away at 5.30 - though by 1988 RVN was showing mainly Seven shows anyway. They never showed Neighbours.

WIN in Wollongong didn’t show Neighbours or Home & Away.

1 Like

WIN kept Seven’s A Country Practice on air throughout 1988 but I seem to recall they dropped it at the start of 1989 in the lead up to the start of aggregation on March 31. I think Prime may have added those unaired episodes to their schedule when they started broadcasting on the south coast.

1 Like

When aggregation came to Tassie, Tas TV on the day it launched in Launceston ran ads in The Examiner to give locals a “catch up” on what had happened in the daytime soaps since Southern Cross had dropped them in the months leading up to aggregation.

I seem to recall Southern Cross in Victoria dropped A Country Practice and replaced it with E Street during 1991 ahead of the 1992 launch into aggregation.

Not sure how Southern Cross had progressed with Neighbours pre aggregation but they ran in sync with Ten’s episodes when the 1992 series commenced in January.

1 Like

I remember Hey Hey It’s Saturday doing a similar thing on air. Something along the lines of “For those viewers in Tasmania who are getting us again, here’s what you’ve missed in the last 18 months” or however long it was. Then it was just a highlights package shown in fast forward type editing to make it over quickly and quite pointless.

The Today Show disappeared in Canberra in 1987 when CTC was bought by Ten. It was replaced by Good Morning Australia, much to the horror of many Canberrans. This is WIN having a field day in March 1989.

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWZfeYbWZ0g

Make the Switch to Sunrise circa 2003 and the last On-Air Presentation to feature the 7 Ribbon Logo 1.0.

The current logo was launched in September 2003

1 Like

Yep, pretty much. This doesn’t seem to happen as often these days (at least on SCTV) because they rarely work off a dirty metro feed with commercials and all.

TDT(9) however still regularly has these types problems (much like when previously affiliated with Ten) as it’s basically a relay from Melbourne which works off the metro feed with watermarks and all.

Yeah, I think you’re right about Home and Away and Neighbours. Local viewers were very fortunate that SC had pretty much caught up by time they dropped it from their afternoon schedule (Neighbours obviously). IIRC, didn’t SC usually fall a week behind with H&A when Big Brother was airing on there in the early to mid 2000s? I think this was because they had to move H&A to 6.30pm (with the dropping of Today Tonight during BBs three month season run) as Ten had BB at 7pm and couldn’t obviously air episodes before Seven.

2 Likes

I’d forgotten about that one but that did happen, they also never had breaks over Summer to catch up when they were behind too.

EDIT: Just thinking about it too, I reckon everything would have finally caught up around 2006 onwards as by then Southern Cross were ditching more of their Ten content and the big one, Daylight Savings was now in sync across the states oserving it. No more of Tasmania being an hour ahead of everyone else in the month of October which used to always cause chaos with the mainland TV and radio timings, although did allow for early screenings of Blue Heelers and the like some years whenh we were up to date.

1 Like

Yes, I remember hearing about the DST issues. So in October SCTV would have been seeing the networked content an hour “early”? There was never a delayed feed, like the Gold Coast now gets when VIC/NSW are in DST?

Was there ever an issue with M rated content being shown before 8.30pm? I presume SCTV could have recorded a programme off the Melbourne feed to play an hour later?

I can’t remember the specifics of DST in Tassie, but was there a similar issue in March when the networked programmes would appear an hour late?

No because we were an hour ahead so it was the opposite of the Queensland situation. So a show at 8:30pm Tas time would only be 7:30 Melbourne time. Obviously the other states wouldn’t change their scheduling to match a state theythemselves didn’t broadcast in so it was up to southern cross and win to do what they could. Sometimes they were able to have shows early and shown before the mainland got them, others just went on delay for a day or a week and others got replaced. Eg today tonight would be shown at midnight instead because it would be stupid having it at 7:30 prime time.

When TDT came along they just simply ran everything an hour late. Some years they told us that other years there was no mention.

2 Likes

Southern Cross in Tassie played H&A over the summer non ratings season to catch up.

1 Like

Extraordinary.

The network guy (Phil Davis) just could not even disguise the arrogance in the interview.

Fairfax has not changed at all. Did to HSV what it’s now done to The Age.

Fairfax in part bought The Age for the supplements - The Age had been doing them for years before Sydney (intro’d to Sydney 15-20 years after Melbourne had them, e.g. The Guide/Green Guide), then proceeded to destroy the paper. I remember their first combined effort was Good Weekend. The Age had a better Saturday mag so refused to take it on Saturday. Good Weekend was issued a day before (Fridays) in Melbourne in its early years. Of course, Fairfax got its way ultimately…

2 Likes

Southern Cross in VIC (BCV8/GLV8) aired Neighbours a day after ATV10, as did VIC TV.
VIC TV dropped A Country Practice at the beginning of 1991 and was replaced by The Simpsons, this did not go down too well with the Ballarat, Western Victoria and Shepparton locals and was dumped after only eight episodes to be replaced not with A Country Practice, but with Murphy Brown.

Southern Cross VIC aired A Country Practice until the end of the 1991 season.