TV History - Questions

Channel Seven used to have breakbumpers for almost EVERY show in the early 2000s. They didn’t just play the same one over and over either, there could be up to four different versions for some programs!

1 Like

the break bumpers I’m thinking of were just short station IDs, not for specific programs.

Like this collection from Channel 4

YouTube: Joseph Mama

3 Likes

Oops, sorry about that.
I think SBS used to run them as recently as 2009 with their ‘six billion stories and counting’ package, and they had a lunar new year one this year as well, but I don’t think they air generic ones anymore. I think SBS Viceland run them now, but they’re about five seconds.

1 Like

SBS had good ones when they first adopted the new logo in 1993, where each break bumper incremented up the number of ellipses. So the first one had one, then the next one had 2… up until playing the regular station ID at the end of the break which had 5.

3 Likes

I believe in some countries there’s a regulatory requirement to separate ads from program content or at least there used to be. I think this is mainly in Eupore but not necessarily the UK.

In other areas spots were sold on the basis they were separated from each other so there’d be a transition of some form between each ad.

Bumpers have essentially disappeared because they acted as a signal to the viewer to either start fast forwarding or to return to normal speed as PVR use became more common and more and more people were time shifting their shows. Without the bumper there was a higher chance the beginning of the first spot (or the end of the last spot) would be seen.

2 Likes

In Italy (this was some years ago) they’d separate each ad with a second of black screen. It was actually a bit jarring for someone not used to it because when I’d see the black screen I’d think they’re about to cut back to the program (as that’s what usually happens here) but no it was just a break before another ad!

2 Likes

SBS 1994 ID compilation. Uploader Didz.

5 Likes

Gosh I remember the Breaks but someone said to me previously that never happen on SBS.

Thanks for that

1 Like

Does anyone know what was the last station (Metro and regional) to have analog(or Digital) clock leading in or out of there programs on the TV station?

Possibly SES-8 Mt Gambier? I think they ran dual clocks for SA & Victoria right into the 1990s!

Talk about breakbumpers… Goes straight to 2:41 and you would found that breakbumpers style from either US, UK or AU would be far poorer than those from Argentina, #yfriends

Same in Britain, up until about the early 2000’s.

2 Likes

Yes, and in the UK the bumpers were often on the same tape/cart as the ads so played automatically at the start of each break. They existed to identify the channel more than split the program and ads, as they were used as well as a program-specific slide or graphic (added live or otherwise) at the start and end of each segment of the show.

1 Like

My recollection in the UK was that the channel identifying bumper was aired after the promos, separating them from the following commercials.
New Zealand also use to have a mandatory half second of black between commercials, and I remember in the 90’s TF2 in France seperate commercials with a half second of blue!

In Argentina: Canal Trece (now eltrece) used to have rather unique bumpers which acted as a program bumper, breakbumper and in-vision continuity, however, continuity announcers were actually… Canal Trece’s stars itself (which different in UK, when a seperate continuity announcers team is used instead). As the network has no “rules” about accent, so announcers sometime could be funny (except serious programs).

During that time, “You’re watching…” was known as “Estas en casa viendo…” (You’re at home watching…) and “Coming up next” was known as “Queremos en casa para ver…” (Stay at home to watch… (?)). The bumpers were discounted in 2005. In 2004, program banner during bumpers was dropped.

Example: (graphics used in 2003-04)

An Argentine telenovela, except it (the bumper) was quite funny…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT-5240lD-o (turn to 4:39)

Yes that tends/tended to be the case on the FTA channels (ITV, 4. 5) but on Pay TV it can vary. As I stated previously, the bumpers were often on the same tape as the ads so automatically played before the first ad. Nowadays when tapes aren’t normally used the bumpers may be scheduled differently.

That brings back some memories. Does anyone have the “World Is An Amazing Place” idents and promos?

1 Like

SBS’ Deep Forest ‘Sweet Lullaby’ promotional campaign. Uploader AbhiG.

Given that SES8, although has no ownership links with BTV/GMV, adopted a smiliar design for both and exchange stuff altogether during 1980s, did SES8 acted as an “affiliate” of a “regional network” called “Six Network”, #myfriends ???

SES-8 adopted a similar logo to BTV/GMV in 1982 and were a member of the Six Network until the late 1980s.