TV History - Questions

Then how the fuck they can insert “Hello Warwick” ???

I never knew television slogans could bring about so much passion!

2 Likes

Presumably the ID was seen across the license area as I expect Hello Toowoomba and Dalby would have been. I’m speculating here but it makes sense that IDs wouldn’t necessarily just be seen in the town they referenced .

9/8 Television and Mid State Television in NSW ran town specific IDs across their entire areas.

Speaking of Mid State, the SDQ situation was probably similar to CWN Dubbo in that while it was a separate license it was a full time relay of CBN Orange. Again I’m guessing.

5 Likes

Here’s an example from 9-8 with Tamworth the featured locality.

3 Likes

You’re correct. CWN was originally going to be a stand-alone station but it ended up being a full time relay of CBN. I’m not sure what the reasoning was for the decision. SDQ was always going to be a relay from day one.

3 Likes

I noticed this CTC logo on a letterhead on a file at the National Archives. I’m assuming it was probably never an on-air logo?

2 Likes

On air use of the CTC-7 trapezoid logo can be seen in this video:

2 Likes

I reckon the flag logo for Capital 7 would have to be one of the best and most original IDs used in Australian TV

image https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcR2pu0-Lh3rAqn2lIeeM_G2CAJ_4vKzFYktN_NodLxi-Zockn5O

2 Likes

I used to go to Canberra to visit grandparents when I was a kid and I can remember Capital 7 back then. The logo was very recognisable even to a five year old kid. Whoever came up with the logo was an absolute genius.

3 Likes

The flag motif would last until early 1989 when CTC adopted the X TEN logo.

1986-87.
CTC_1986-87

11%20am

Late 1988.
42%20am

1 Like

Hi all! I’m taking an interest in Australia’s adoption of DVB-T in the early 2000s and find the history behind the digital switchover quite fascinating. Does anybody have any early screenshots from 2001/2/3 of what Digital TV was like? I’d be interested in picture quality, watermarks etc.

I know dtvforum.info used to have plenty of screenshots from 2003-4 onwards. There were even screencaps of Jim Waley presenting National Nine News! Unfortunately that site merged into another and all the images are gone.

1 Like

This amazingly still online article has a few nice caps, as well as some interesting historical context - DVIco FusionHDTV DVB-T Digital TV Tuner Card - Overclockers Australia

Here’s one I have:

Here’s a few from 2005, this shows how affiliates were handling adapting Nine’s on air look:

Here’s a slightly older variant from Nine itself:

This isn’t full quality, but it shows something WIN did for a while in the early days of digital - showing content letterboxed on digital TV:
WIN_letterboxed

And here’s an old one from Ten:

12 Likes

A while ago at home, I recall watching TV airings of the first two Madagascar movies (I always loved my DVD copy of the first one back then). There are a few things to ask:

1. The network they aired on
  2. The date they aired (the second Madagascar came out in 2008)
  3. Was this a Dreamworks marathon? (The movie aired after them (as stated on the ad shown during the credits of Madagascar) was Over The Hedge)

What is that ? I don’t understand, #myfriend .

A station IDent between every TV show which ran between 5 seconds and 15seconds.

1 Like

Just like in the videos that @JBar posted above. (great timing!)

1 Like

I think it would be a benefit if they ran a 5 second one between shows with a familiar network theme song.

10 has been running some 10 second ones since the relaunch but they run in random commercial breaks.

2 Likes

When exactly did DDQ5 move to 5A?

Probably sometime in the 2nd half of 1976.

This is because according to the the ABT Annual Report for 1976-77, it was mentioned that the change of frequency from 5 to 5A wasn’t implemented by 30th June 1976, but was changed by 31st December that same year.

2 Likes

“Break bumpers” I think are a very UK thing although from what I recall theirs were very short, sometimes only 2 or 3 seconds

1 Like