TV History - Questions

http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/AUBAUpdateNlr/2000/130.pdf

3 Likes

Thanks @Tane04 and @Radiohead.

This newspaper ad is what prompted my question. I assume I’ve read it incorrectly (poor reproduction) and it refers to the ATN relay on UHF46. Out of interest, where was that UHF mast/tower located?

5 Likes

It was atop the Kingsgate Hyatt building in Kings Cross. It moved to a nearby building around 20 years ago. Was on 46 but was later moved to 49.

3 Likes

It moved to UHF-49 in February 1983 after ABN-2 and SBS began transmission from that translator.

3 Likes

Never really understood why they advertised their UHF translators to literally everyone when in reality they only served a fairly finite area.

Same thing happened in Adelaide where the UHF translators were well promoted but were really just for the Adelaide Hills region.

In Melbourne it just didn’t happen at all. UHF translators sprung up on the outer fringes of Melbourne, but for anyone outside their local coverage, we had literally no idea they even existed.

3 Likes

It might have appeared in a suburban newspaper?

Agree it’s unlikely they would have put UHF-46 on it in the SMH or Daily Telegraph etc.

They did.

Hi everyone,
In 1985, Greg Evans (of “Perfect Match” fame) hosted this talent quest TV show. I’m currently scouting for any info on the show, episode dates, etc. Anyone remember this show or has some copies lying around?

2 Likes

From 1985-86, Greg Evans hosted the talent show Star Search on Channel 10. Among the people discovered on the show were The Umbilical Brothers, Cameron Daddo, and Kerrie Friend.

3 Likes

When did PRIME7/7Regional start using this piece of music in this weather update?

1 Like

Hi there, I’m looking to get information about Brisbane television in the 1970s. I particular I’m looking for information about:

1. ‘Gabby’ a talk/opinion program hosted by Gabby (Gabrielle) Horan?and also Beauty and the Beast in Brisbane;
  2. Beauty and the Beast on Brisbane TV Gabby Horan was reported a a ‘beauty’ but I’d like to confirm that. Did Brisbane have a separate B&tB program? Does anyone have information about it?
  3. Are there any Brisbane tv guides online I could access from 1969-1971?
    Thanks!
1 Like

Welcome aboard, John!

I’m not aware of any specific Brisbane version of Beauty And The Beast, though that’s not to say it never existed. Although keep in mind that copycat shows of a very similar nature were rife and Brisbane was not immune to those with shows like Bailey And The Birds, etc. There was also a “talkback” show from BTQ7 called Heartline which had a panellists helping viewers with problems.

I know a website with old TV guides :wink: There’s not a lot from Brisbane for that period you’re after but it might be of interest.

3 Likes

Thank you. I really appreciate the info you provided – love your work. I’m a fan of Television.au!

I did look at the classic guides earlier but went back now just to check. No reference to the program I’m looking for – but a terrific resource all the same! I see that BatB had a place in programming but suspect my quarry – Gabby Horan – would not mix it with those beauties, although she was a force to be reckoned with in Queensland.
Cheers!

4 Likes

Did Network 0-28 only use this ID during Christmas time?

3 Likes

when SBS went to a UHF-only transmission in 1986, why didn’t the ABC, Seven, Nine and Ten do the same? Why was VHF kept for digital transmission when it was introduced in metropolitan areas?

I think the broad intention at the time was that the other networks would convert to UHF eventually but for some reason it never eventuated. There was probably no real compelling need to do it.

The plan was also apparently that any new TV services would begin on UHF by default but this also didn’t happen with new channels like NEW10, Imparja (which used a mix of VHF and UHF), etc.

It would have made sense when Canberra got aggregation that all services be on UHF (ABC remained on channel 3 which as part of the FM band would have moved eventually, CTC7 aka Capital Television it’s awkward for a Ten affiliate to transmit on channel 7 especially as TVs with dial knobs to change channels were still common). It happened in Wollongong as WIN had to clear channel 4 and ABC had to clear 5A. ABC3 Canberra moved to VHF channel 9 later on until analog switch off when UHF 40 could have been used instead. In Shepparton ABGV3 had to move to UHF 40 while Vic TV remained on channel 6 until analog switchoff just by virtue that it was the original GMV 6 licence. They were the only station on the VHF band in the Goulburn Valley (in addition to ABEV1 and BCV 8 Bendigo) until the restack happened after analog switchoff.

that happened pretty much everywhere, not a lot of regional affiliates matched the dial position of their metro partner. Some did just by coincidence but not many.

2 Likes

Probably also because UHF antennas werent common in metro areas then.

In hindsight, it was probably a good thing they didn’t go UHF since telcos are not interested in VHF, the only other main use for VHF could have been for defence or digital radio.

1 Like

up until aggregation, they weren’t really common anywhere. Even though some households upgraded to UHF to get access to SBS, they were still much in the minority. Although we were fortunate at our place, we could get clear reception on Channel 28 with just our old antenna on the roof. Others may have also been similarly lucky.