TV History - Questions

Pretty sure 7 Tasmania still have theirs and hire it out on a regular basis. It is not branded anymore though. Happy to be corrected.

2 Likes

Seven Melbourne outsources OB operations to the ABC when covering AFLW and VFL matches in Victoria. I have regularly seen ABC OB vans at these matches.

3 Likes

Modern day - seen tonight

2 Likes

Possibly no more, appear to be removed from the updated webpage for facility hire and there was talk last year about outsourcing whenever th ABC required them.

3 Likes

These were most likely embedded Flash files. On the other side, we at Media Spy prefer not to search for “lost media”, whatever that’s called.

1 Like

I for one would like to welcome our new forum spokesperson.

13 Likes

How much you paying him?

1 Like

Anything would be too much

2 Likes

What are you even talking about?

3 Likes

I remember the first big cutbacks prior to Quarters being paired up with a co-anchor, and after Mike was allowed to leave the studio after a week or so stint in studio doing the weather, he’d have to basically follow the live eye around to wherever it is, they’d flip the camera around to the other side of the road and he’d do the weather wherever it was on location.

This is how I’m starting all my sentences now, it’s going surprisingly well.

“Welcome to McDonald’s, what can I get for you?”
“We at Media Spy would like a McChicken and a medium fries.”
“Would you like to make that a meal deal?”
“We at Media Spy would like to make that a meal deal. Diet Coke please.”

4 Likes

You know, you CAN legally change your name by deed poll if you like it that much :grinning:

4 Likes

Speaking of TV stations promoting their state-of-the-art technology, this 1978 news promo from Chicago is so over-the-top in a '70s sci-fi way that it borders on the psychedelic. One can’t but wonder what kind of mushrooms the producers were using:

3 Likes

Does anyone know why XYZnetworks was part of Foxtel and Austar?

From memory its was a content/channel supply deal. They produced the channels to sell to Foxtel/Austar. Originally they were with Galaxy as well.

1 Like

It was a Foxtel and Austar joint venture company to produce channels for both platforms - in the early days it held the licence for local versions of Discovery and Nickelodeon then later Channel [V].

Austar produced two channels (CMC and The Weather Channel) which were then moved under xyz

From memory, Austar ‘bought’ Galaxy’s share when Australis collapsed

2 Likes

A quick question - back in the 80s, which Channel Seven station was on UHF45?

2 Likes

Until 1983, ATN-7 had a relay station on UHF-46.

2 Likes

Not that i recall.

The ones I know of

BTQ-52 Gold Coast
BTQ-39 Currumbin

ATN-60 Wyong
ATN-52 Gosford
ATN-44 (i think) Bouddi

4 Likes

Which was then moved to UHF-49.

It’s actually ATN-49. TCN broadcasts on UHF-52 in Gosford.

4 Likes