TV History - Questions

Does anyone know where this video is sourced from? Is it a comedy show that was on Channel 7?

1 Like

If I was to take a guess, probably the 2001 Channel Seven Christmas Tape?

1 Like

when did cap city networks go to 24/7 broadcasting? i do remember as a kid thiking i stayed up real late if i turned on the TV and the stations were off the air

TCN9 and GTV9 went full 24/7 in mid 1976 after the Montreal Olympics. I do know that TEN10 used to run all night on Friday nights in the 1970’s. QTQ9 went 24/7 in 1980 while NWS9 and STW9 did so in the mid 1980’s. All of the Sydney commercial stations were full 24/7 by the end of 1989. ATN7 used to only close down on Saturday nights in early 1989 but by year’s end, they were fully 24/7 too.

2 Likes

In Melbourne:

GTV9 went 24/7 in 1976
HSV7 went 24/5 in March 1985 (News Overnight). Later extended to 24/7
ATV10 went all night Friday & Saturday in 1984 (Music Video), then 24/7 in 1987
ABC went all night Friday & Saturday in April 1987 (when Rage began), then 24/7 in 1993

In Brisbane, TVQ went 24/7 when it converted to Channel 10 in 1988.

1 Like

thanks for that

I don’t know if the all-Friday night broadcasting continued right into the 1980s, but Ten Sydney was on the air Friday & Saturday nights for “Music Video” from May 1983 and that continued (aside from a nine week break after Music Video was axed due to cost cutting, before later being revived) until the launch of the seven night a week “Night Shift” music video program in March 1987 when presumably both the Sydney & Melbourne Ten stations started 24/7 broadcasting.

Channel Seven Sydney went to full 24/7 broadcasting in June 1989.

Perhaps there wasn’t enough material to run “News Overnight” (which kept Seven on-air from Sunday to Friday since January 1985) on Saturdays, who knows.

Random 24/7 fact. HSV7 in Melbourne stayed on the air 24 hours a day for a full week to celebrate a year of the “Seven Revolution” in 1970. Not sure if the Sevens in other cities did similar.

6 Likes

As to the other extreme that your responses have got, TVW in Perth didn’t go 24/7 until Mid 2000 (although was only closed for 2 hours an evening by this time).

SAS / NEW didn’t until the mid 90s.

1 Like

ATN 7 also also celebrated the one year anniversary of the “Seven Revolution” in early October 1970 by staying on air for a longer period than any other Australian station in television history.

The Seven Revolution was started by Bruce Gyngell who, as the new managing director of the Seven network, shook up programming and declared “Seven is revolting”. Promotional buttons were handed out featuring the new circle Seven logo and that phrase.

Rigid schedules built around series television were thrown out in favour of specials, theme nights and documentaries. More Australian content was commissioned and the channel would have a much more professional air about it. Women’s shows would no longer talk down to women, sideburns were out, smoking on camera was out, chitchat to floor crew was out, monotonous talk shows were out. Intelligent, unique programming was now the in thing. Seven kicked it off with a star studded Seven Revolution Sneak Peak that previewed the specials and big movies that were to come.

The move was applauded by critics and viewers who had become tired of the predictable formula. Profits increased and ratings went up. Seven had taken the lead away from Nine by the following June and the week of marathon programming was their way of celebrating.

First night of the revolution:

First night of anniversary birthday celebration marathon:

Source: SMH.

5 Likes

The 0-10 Network would try and combat this in 1970 with their Make Love, Not Revolution campaign.

I recall too that the 7 Revolution also included an emphasis on British series and comedies, traditionally the ABC’s domain and something that the commercial networks never did much of. Even in the '80s Seven was running British sitcoms and dramas more than Nine or Ten.

4 Likes

Makes perfect sense that Gyngell would employ a similar mantra at TV-am - he had form.

Apoligizes, #Myfriends, but anyone know if Australian TV ever ran a signpost/lineup with a full schedule (rather than only primetime and late night) ?

In Vietnam we have that (also, it’s announcerless, too)

1 Like

Network 0-28 in 1984 will a full program line-up run through at the start of transmission.

6 Likes

Central GTS4-BKN7 did as part of their closedown sequence, 1991

YouTube: MediaTreasureTrove

4 Likes

What happened to that UK show about the cleaning lady that gets into the stock market? I remember watching the first episode, but then it seemed to disappear from the schedule.

It was pushed to a later slot and then an even later slot.

1 Like

So did SEQ8…here’s an example from 1985:

4 Likes

Hi, Win used to do a Children tv show called Good Sports in the Early to Mid 90’s?

Does anyone have a copy of the theme song from the show and also how long did this run. I remember running for most of my primary school