TV History - Questions

Presumably because it was financially viable to do so.

Back then it was only 9 in Sydney and Melbourne (I think?), and they only mostly ran old black and white movies which would have been cheap to air.

2 Likes

Here’s a question, How long have 7,9 & 10 been going with the current format where they run shows up until a set time then switch to home shopping at 1 or 2 am then back to shows at 3 or 4 am?

2 Likes

My recollection is that after midnight TV shopping started to become a “thing” in the mid to late 1990s in metro areas.

Regional networks like Prime started doing that around 1995 i think.

2 Likes

Nine in Sydney and Melbourne started 24/7 broadcasting right after the Montreal Olympics in 1976. I think Ten in Sydney had an all night movie marathon on Friday nights before then.

2 Likes

Because, why not? Radio in metro and major regional centres was largely 24/7 by the mid-late 1960s except for ABC. And US television was already doing it to some extent, so it was only a matter of time it happened here.

Although one of the (unintended?) victims of 24/7 television was the “secret” use of overnight airtime by third parties, such as educational institutions or advertising agencies, which was a thing on commercial television.

6 Likes

When did WIN gradually switch LCN 53/83 from the WIN Network promo loop, to the Sky News On WIN (now Sky News Regional) promo loop? I guess it happened in June and July 2018, months before the channel launched.

Why was TVW 7 in Perth still closing down in the late 90’s?

And were Perth and Adelaide the only cities that the (insert city name) home’s with seven idents?

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure every city had their own ID at that time I remember seeing a Melbourne one featuring a similar style.

3 Likes

That’s interesting… even East Coast regional TV stations were 24 hours by the mid 1990s.

Can only assume it wasn’t cost effective to do 24 hours due to time delays etc?

2 Likes

I still can’t work out how it wasn’t noticed in-house with that 1997 package that the 7 logo is incorrect. It is a solid circle with the 7 inside if it rather than a break at the bottom of the logo… refer to the signpost in the clip above.

2 Likes

I remember watching the TVW7 morning startups in October 1997 whilst visiting family in Perth and I couldn’t quite work out why TVW was still closing down when all the others, except SBS were 24/7. TVW ran all night on Friday nights back then.

2 Likes

I think so, I remember being really young during that period and would wake up at times and see the closedown. I probably saw the odd start-up in the early mornings as well at points.

2 Likes

Ten frequently mangled their logo in that era as well - using incorrect fonts for the ‘ten’ text in the logo.

Sometimes it’s relatively mild - compare the width of the ‘t’ for the most obvious indication,

While other times it wasn’t even close,
ten

4 Likes

I remember those supers on the 11.30 News and noting that the Ten logo looked odd. They fixed it after a while but as the 11.30 News was done out of Melbourne, I’m guessing it was also used on the Melbourne 5pm news.

2 Likes

That used to trigger me so much in the day :confounded:

2 Likes

Does anyone know the origin of this NBN-produced GO! sales video?

2 Likes

It appears to have originated from NBN for their sales department.

6 Likes

I understand, but I wanted to know what website the user found the video on.

Huh? You posted the video from YouTube. Not sure we can provide any further information then what’s plainly obvious

2 Likes

Would anyone happen to know if the iconic ‘Move Closer to Your World’ theme was used on Eyewitness News in Melbourne before the switchover from 0 to 10 in 1980?

2 Likes