TV History - Questions

Some time in the early 90s IIRC.

When does SBN’s deal with SCA and TVSN’s deal with WIN, expire? If this happens will SCA replace SBN with various other channels, including 10 Shake, 7Bravo, or TVSN, depending on the area? WIN would continue the TVSN deal only for their 10-affiliated stations, and they would put Extra on their Nine-affiliated stations.

1 Like

Doubt either would replace either. SBN and TVSN make the broadcasters money, another multichannel from the network would cost them money.
Extra probably wouldn’t appear in WIN unless they arrange some revenue sharing from that, and since WIN already has TVSN and Gold there’s probably no need to go through that.

3 Likes

Speaking of SBN, did that channel broadcast into Northern NSW via NRN, until the play out change to MediaHub?

1 Like

No, Northern NSW never had SBN.

1 Like

But @Radiohead, LCN 54 on Ten Northern NSW was branded as SBN, according to this post on the Ten (Southern Cross) thread by @TV-Expert on 25 January 2019.

2 Likes

Can confirm, Ten NNSW never had SBN

1 Like

I think that list must have been incorrect.

1 Like

Sonlife launched on the SCA stations in July 2017; WIN would’ve already had control of NRN by then (they finalised that in late May), although not of the playout at that point which took until September (hence the question in the other thread).

2 Likes

Why did Australia start converting to 24/7 broadcasting in the 1970’s?

Presumably because it was financially viable to do so.

Back then it was only 9 in Sydney and Melbourne (I think?), and they only mostly ran old black and white movies which would have been cheap to air.

2 Likes

Here’s a question, How long have 7,9 & 10 been going with the current format where they run shows up until a set time then switch to home shopping at 1 or 2 am then back to shows at 3 or 4 am?

2 Likes

My recollection is that after midnight TV shopping started to become a “thing” in the mid to late 1990s in metro areas.

Regional networks like Prime started doing that around 1995 i think.

2 Likes

Nine in Sydney and Melbourne started 24/7 broadcasting right after the Montreal Olympics in 1976. I think Ten in Sydney had an all night movie marathon on Friday nights before then.

2 Likes

Because, why not? Radio in metro and major regional centres was largely 24/7 by the mid-late 1960s except for ABC. And US television was already doing it to some extent, so it was only a matter of time it happened here.

Although one of the (unintended?) victims of 24/7 television was the “secret” use of overnight airtime by third parties, such as educational institutions or advertising agencies, which was a thing on commercial television.

6 Likes

When did WIN gradually switch LCN 53/83 from the WIN Network promo loop, to the Sky News On WIN (now Sky News Regional) promo loop? I guess it happened in June and July 2018, months before the channel launched.

Why was TVW 7 in Perth still closing down in the late 90’s?

And were Perth and Adelaide the only cities that the (insert city name) home’s with seven idents?

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure every city had their own ID at that time I remember seeing a Melbourne one featuring a similar style.

3 Likes

That’s interesting… even East Coast regional TV stations were 24 hours by the mid 1990s.

Can only assume it wasn’t cost effective to do 24 hours due to time delays etc?

2 Likes

I still can’t work out how it wasn’t noticed in-house with that 1997 package that the 7 logo is incorrect. It is a solid circle with the 7 inside if it rather than a break at the bottom of the logo… refer to the signpost in the clip above.

2 Likes