triple j

Just when you thought Wollongong radio couldn’t get any worse :grin:

(I’m joking obviously, it’s not a bad cover)

3 Likes

I98 is a bit of a weird one with what they play, some 70’s, lots of newer CHR tracks, and then an alternative track by Tame Impala, or Lime Cordial so not surprised they played it. It works rating wise, i98 have been #1 for ages.

Wave fm has a more defined format 80’s to now, you know what you are going to get when you tune in.

In this years Wollongong survey Wave fm will come as close as they have in years to beating i98, but i98 will stay on top if just.

Sorry gone a bit off topic when we are talking about Triple J.

3 Likes

They’re following Radio 1 lead from the UK.
Future Sounds runs from 6pm-8pm Mon-Thurs then Dance Party 6pm-8pm Friday.
Annie Mac presented these until mid last year, an amazing broadcaster

Can they go further and actually put some care and love into their brand like Radio 1 does? Listening to R1 throughout much of past year really highlighted to me how shabby sounding Triple J sounds.

3 Likes

Agree with you, when meme’s are doing the rounds about J’s announcers blabbing inanely just for the “appeal”, it’s a message from the audience.

Radio 1 is lucky in that commercial radio in the UK has always been second fiddle unlike here or the US. The format is also monopolistic with Alternative/CHR together hence a Triple J on steroids with an audience 5 times the size.

Remember the ABC as a whole has had their budget frozen for close to a decade, it affects any chance of a fresh coat so to speak.

1 Like

Triple J’s coverage will be from 7pm to 10pm local time with hosts Tyrone Pynor and Abby Butler. It will be broadcast via radio, the station’s app, website and across digital radio on Triple J, Double J and Triple J Unearthed.

6 Likes

Classic FM should move to DAB and be replaced with Double J.
Commercial networks would have a fit but who cares.

5 Likes

Double J is a bit more relevent for Audiences in most areas than Classic FM. I mean unless for reception tests and background music, who listens to Classic FM? I do agree with your idea about Double J replacing Classic FM. One interesting exception would be 101.9 Batemans Bay which can be the regular Triple J service as there is no Triple J service for Batemans Bay. Not sure about other areas having a Classic FM Service but not Triple J.

3 Likes

Having Classic FM does add diversity, particularly for regionals that don’t have an MBS (Fine Music) type station.

Double J isn’t that much different from Triple J in reality - in comparison to Classic FM.

But on the flip side most of the capital cities have two fine music stations on FM taking up valuable FM spectrum - the additional diversity of Double J being on FM in these places would be well-received.

3 Likes

I’ve always thought it was a shame that our national music radio offerings were so genre constrained

5 Likes
1 Like

triple j Takes Over Shepparton

triple j is excited to announce the very first triple j Takeover , where we’ll be hitting the road and bringing triple j to regional Australia.

From Monday 16 May to Friday 20 May , we’ll be broadcasting straight outta Shepparton, VIC and painting the town triple j red with a bunch of free & special events . Alongside ABC Heywire, we’ll be celebrating the bright young minds in the community and showcasing all that Shepparton has to offer to the rest of the country.

On Monday , we’re kicking things off with a live recording of Double J’s Take 5 with Zan Rowe podcast featuring none other than hometown king Briggs. The Yorta Yorta rapper and writer will wind things back to his childhood in Shepparton and go deep on five songs that have driven him, fired him up and set him on the path to where he is today.

On Tuesday , triple j’s Hobba & Hing and Jess Perkins will bring their beloved storytelling podcast Simply The Jest to Shepparton for a special live recording. Featuring guest comedians Danielle Walker & Tim Hewitt and local legends in the audience, we’ll be on the hunt to find Shepparton’s most chaotic, elaborate, and entertaining story.

On Friday , Shepparton’s Hotel Terminus will be turning red with triple j’s Termi Takeover – a huge end of week party featuring live DJ sets from Mashd & Kutcher , Kinder and your triple j mates Bryce & Ebony , Bridget Hustwaite and Jade Zoe .

Throughout the week, we’ll be partnering with ABC Heywire’s Takeover and sharing stories from young locals who’ve got something to say about life in Shepparton.

And if you’re a student at Greater Shepparton Secondary College , you can expect a visit from the triple j Unearthed fam , who are partnering with APRA AMCOS for a songwriting workshop during the week.

triple j ’s Content Director Laura McAuliffe says “ Shepparton, on Yorta Yorta country, is a place absolutely booming with music lovers, bright young minds and with a rich Indigenous history. Our triple j Takeover is a chance for us to showcase the town to the rest of the country and give back by throwing some huge events for locals while we’re at it.

Tune into triple j from Monday 16 May as Shepparton becomes the star of our airwaves, and listen back to our live podcast recordings on the triple j app .

If you’re a local legend, get around the free events below and we’ll see you in Shepp!

EVENT INFO & FREE TICKETS
Monday 16 May 2022
Take 5 with Briggs and Double J’s Zan Rowe
7pm doors
FREE TICKETS HERE

Tuesday 17 May 2022
Simply The Jest: Live in Shepp!
7pm doors
FREE TICKETS HERE

Friday 20 May 2022
triple j’s Termi Takeover ft. Mashd n Kutcher, Kinder and triple j DJs Bryce & Ebony, Bridget Hustwaite & Jade Zoe
7pm doors
FREE TICKETS HERE

3 Likes

I wonder if this is going to be replacing one night stand.

2 Likes

Good news - if Labor wins the election, they’ll set aside some funding to expand the reach of Double J in regional areas. That probably means that it will be allocated FM frequencies.

4 Likes

Thanks @Radioman19, so more clogging of national signals on the FM band yet nothing for moving to FM the ABC local stations let alone AM RN and News Radio

1 Like

Been listening to Triple J and Radio 1 the last week, and I think its pretty clear there needs to be a rethink of the Triple J format.

There are some things JJJ does well. Houseparty and their evening weekend line ups - on point.

Breakfast and drive are a complete mess though, and its not the presenters’ fault.

Music selection is all over the shop. They play far too much niche stuff, and they seem scared to play anything ‘mainstream’. Not Taylor Swift or Lady Gaga, but just hits that once upon a time would’ve gotten a run on the Js.

The general audio branding of the station? A mess. Wide gaps of silence between tracks - something that would never be allowed to air on Radio 1. A bland “You’re listening to triple j” bumper thrown in occasionaly…

All the audio beds and stuff - I remember them using the same tracks when I first started listening to Triple J a decade ago. Give it a refresh. Same with the News theme. Yes, it’s majestic fanfare. But give it a new lick of paint. Update your service to reflect the audience you want to attract.

And then the presenters - they’re kept on air too long! Like, I get that they’re the USP of radio. But the Breakfast, Drive and Good Nights hosts seem to be given so long to talk that they run out of things to say. It just becomes lazy radio. Tighten it up a little bit. Make it snappier and punchier. (Compare that to Radio 1’s Rickie, Melvin and Charlie who you barely hear at all).

6 Likes

The bumpers are all 5-10 years old, the audio beds almost all 10 years, if not 15-20 years old.
Presenters over-rely on prompts / call-in questions. Weekend mornings / afternoons presenters are very deer in the headlights at the best of times and are at the skill level you only used to see on mid-dawn weekdays, often so bad that you almost have to wonder if it’s pre-recorded.
Noticeable cut backs in sponsored events, replaced with constantly talking about social media, predominantly TikTok. They never shut up about TikTok!
Like A Version is stale even after it’s COVID break, and despite clear attempts from within to jump-start it (e.g. The Wiggles). Needs a longer hiatus / replacement with something else.

The amount of time Good Nights is talk is crazy considering they wiped 1-2 hours and a day off the show this year and it’s now only running 2hrs, 4 days a week! I’m convinced that there wouldn’t be such intense hatred for the current breakfast hosts if they were given less time to talk, and as for drive you have the issue of their weekly topics / formats becoming stale and repetitive in part because of how long they dedicate to talking.

Yet bizarrely they play stuff that once upon a time would have only appeared on CHR playlists in this country e.g. Jack Harlow, Olivia Rodrigo and they will play former Unearthed Alumni that have gone full mainstream and would otherwise never be appearing on the playlist anymore if they weren’t from Unearthed - e.g. Tones and I, G-Flip, Kid LAROI, etc - there’s not enough consistency as to what mainstream stuff is allowed vs not allowed on the playlist and this comes across as messy.

As someone who generally only listens to radio in the car it’s still the only radio I listen to but the alarm bells are really starting to ring this year, and if ratings performance continues on its current trajectory than surely an overhaul is necessary.

3 Likes

Double J play allot of Aussie music, more than your white shoe brigade community station. This will be a win for regional areas.

2 Likes