triple j

I heard a promo for a “2020 Top Albums Special with Richard Kingsmill” on Triple J this morning, so I think you are definitely mistaken.

I also think it’s highly unlikely that his picture would still be on their website if he had been dead for 22 years.

They will have launched Single J before Kingsmill finally leaves.

6 Likes

I don’t think you follow my original joke. Of course he’s not dead. Maybe you haven’t seen the television program Futurama. Sorry for the confusion.

4 Likes

Hottest 100” is counting down today.

There are 66 songs by Australians in this countdown. That equals a record for the Hottest 100 set in 2016.

2 Likes

also, get on the beers (featuring Dan Andrews) by Mashd N Kutcher has made triple js hottest 100 -source Dan Andrews him self Facebook page

4 Likes
7 Likes

I guess it won’t take long for some of these tracks (especially the #1, “Heat Waves” by Glass Animals) to start popping up on commercial stations.

In previous years, they’ve used the Hottest 100 as a free market research tool :grin:

5 Likes

1 Like

To celebrate International Women’s Day, Double J has released their list of the 50 game-changing women and gender-diverse artists in Australian music.

3 Likes

From 6am-9pm, Monday 10 May through until Friday 14 May, every song you’ll hear on triple j will be programmed by a triple j listener.

3 Likes

Great article about JJJ encouraging insurance fraud (yes, you read right) on Radio Yesterday:

Surprised staid old ABC who has done a superb job sucking the irreverence and life out of JJJ with its over cautious, woke culture would have anyone who would dare think of such a topic.

It’s all in the way you execute such a topic. I recall the one year, short lived, too smart for its audience MMM drive show of Matt Tilley and Joe Hildebrand discussing similar and it attracted no complaints as it was handled so much better.

Those two covered so many taboos cleverly, it was a shame they were on MMM, but so typical of management reluctance to stick to their knitting and actually play rock music in Drive.

Forgot about this until today. Been listening this morning, great mix of music!

1 Like

Yeah I’ve been enjoying it. I’ve uploaded a few of the ‘highlights’ to my dxnerd86 YouTube channel.

It would be interesting to hear more of this, perhaps on Double J or even as a standalone DAB channel. I know it’s been tried before (Hot 30 Jelli) but that wasn’t truly a ‘no holds barred’ free form request format.

3 Likes

Wish I had known about this earlier in the week. Would have made a good alternative to WSFM despite the average reception we seem to get.

All I Want for Christmas Is You brought some joy to the team.

3 Likes

They seriously played that in May!?!?

1 Like

Not playing music in a genre or style that isn’t currently popular isn’t ageism. Triple J can’t play every Australian artist at once. I feel like they get the mix pretty right in that regard, and if a band is still sounding like they did 10-20 years ago it’s on them.

The Hilltop Hoods being in constant rotation is proof of this. The artists mentioned sound like Double J or ABC Radio material.

But also feel like Triple J could look inward in terms of older hosts and people sticking around. I remember Scott Dooley saying part of his decision to go commercial was turning 30. The weekly new music show being hosted by a 57 year old is an odd choice then. Or having older Drive hosts.

It is hard though, as where do all of these people go? Back to a normal job, off-air role, now almost impossible move to commercial?

3 Likes

Triple J can throw shade once they finally boot that dinosaur Kingsmill.

8 Likes

What is it that Triple J have against people outside of their core demographic? They seem keen to throw shade at former listeners when an opportunity presents itself

1 Like