Travel & Holidays

Brisbane is planned for a massive upgrade including a new connected international terminal in time for the olympics, along with the airport line concession being brought out by the state government

2 Likes

Hopefully it will easier for the Queensland Government to duplicate the Airport line between Eagle Junction and the international terminal.

hopefully, and other thing it does is remove the monopoly airtrian have on public transport to the airport. Brisbane City Council is already talking about extending the metro out there to add bus servcies

2 Likes

In no particular orderā€¦

1 Like

Brisbane does get overlooked as a good tourist destination, it has a lot of good shopping, eateries and bars etc. In saying that, itā€™s not better than Sydney or Melbourne for instance.

its different to Sydney and Melbourne. Sydney and Melbourne are destinations in there own right, whereas Brisbane is a base to explore the region - the gold and sunshine coast and toowoomba are only short drives (approx 1 hour) away and the barrier reef is only a few hours away by plane.

2 Likes

Iā€™m currently here in the Harbour City until early next Monday,staying in Potts Point.Iā€™ll be going on the Sydney Explorer bus tomorrow and Saturday itā€™s nearly 20 years since Iā€™ve last stayed here . I might try to get a ferry over to Manly too.
When my plane came in to land this morning it went past the CBD,then came in to land from the south,had a great view from my window of the Harbour Bridge and Opera House then Bondi BeachšŸ‘
I know many people have made complaints about Jetstar ,they lost their luggage,flight was delayed or cancelled,Iā€™ve never had a bad experience with them out of all the flights Iā€™ve travelled on with them over the years ,maybe Iā€™ve just been lucky.

1 Like

Depends on many factors these days. A lot of luck is involved. All about the timing really. The ground handling companies are all much the same, all third party operators, standards all just as bad as each other.

The issue I was told with Jetstar is they apparently have crewing issues at the moment. Very little staff on standby, and tight on pilot numbers with some shifts having nobody on standby. Which explains the weekend cancellations, nobody wants to work it.

1 Like

Northern Territory will introduce an entry pass system for interstate and overseas visitors to most parks from April 3.

3 Likes

As long as I get home to Brisbane on time next Monday morning, I have things I need to do next week . I donā€™t know when next Iā€™ll be able to have another short trip away,Maybe Jetstar need to recruit more pilots,today on my trip the first officer was a woman.Thereā€™s still not many female pilots flying for the main Australian carriers,more young women should be encouraged to get into the industry

2 Likes

I was flying home to Brisbane from melbourne on Jetstar after being at a mates wedding. was on the last flight back on a sunday night when it was cancelled. the airport service was rubbish - 2 people rebooking an entire flight and sorting out rooms for anyone who needed it.

however, i canā€™t fault the actual staff. they worked hard and got us sorted - i even got to keep the extra legroom seat i paid for as they upgraded to a bigger plane to fit everyone.

Fortunately iā€™m at a financial stage where i donā€™t nned to fly LCC unless its cheap

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a bummer .Lucky I donā€™t have to be back in Brisbane urgently,itā€™s not like I have to get back for work,if my flight is cancelled itā€™s no big deal,it will be just an inconvenience. Iā€™m on the first flight out of Sydney (6.am)next Monday ,hopefully all good

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t fly the last flight of the day regardless of carrier, to/from Melbourne is always the worst. All carriers are terrible for reliability on that front

Having a look tonight, last flights to Sydney and Adelaide are all cancelled pretty much on all carriers. Jetstar cancelled its last Avalon to Sydney last night. Bet that went down well.

1 Like

And the last plane out of Sydneyā€™s almost gone!
Itā€™s really got me worried!

1 Like

Still remember being in Hobart when the last Jetstar plane to Sydney was canned, yet us flying Virgin to Brisbane at least got flying just after midnight (Lions coach Chris Fagan was also on the flight, but given his missus was by his side bothering him wasnā€™t exactly a good idea). Got into Brisbane just after kickoff for the World Cup opener.

Throw regional centres into that. Booked on a Qantas flight that was supposed to leave Rockhampton about 7PM, didnā€™t get off the ground until 10PM. Then had to pay $220 for an Uber to the Gold Coast as the trains stopped running from the Airport at about the time of actual departure. Got into my GC apartment for the weekend about 1:30, having to wake up about 2.5 hours later for the half marathon that morning.

1 Like

What about the last flight of the day from Perth to Sydney or Melbourne? Itā€™s quite popular and many sporting teams who play in Perth during that day or night rely on the red eye flight, to save the cost of an extra night in a Perth hotel.

For example, North Melbourne face Fremantle in the AFL match at Optus Stadium tomorrow night before flying out of Perth at around 11.30pm local time.

depends on the carrier like everything. when ive flown to perth its always been on Qantas in business class and will often be on the last flight and ive not had any issues yet (touch wood)

1 Like

Convenient for the passengers yes, that means nothing to Jetstar.

I was advised Jetstar has issues with Perth as they closed the crewing base at the start of Covid. Jetstar pilots also now overnight for any red eye flights, causing flow on issues if they call in sick. They also told me they are very short on First Officers with many flights not having a standby crew available.

1 Like

The good old ā€˜red eye ā€˜ flight from Perth to any of the East Coast capital cities.I remember in 2012 I was on a Virgin red eye flight Perth to Brisbane,landed in Brisbane 5.am ,got home about 6am same morning and slept for about 6 hours

2 Likes