Total Control

And they found a great title to use.

The titles for many Australian shows have been really weak in recent years.

Didn’t you hate the title Black Bitch earlier in this thread? What makes Dark Horse better?

It’s not using a spiteful, derogatory term. “Bitch” is deeply offensive and not a word that should be used when you’re promoting a show about an empowered woman. “Black” might have been used as a derogatory term in the past but of of that word has changed. It has been reclaimed and is celebrated now.

I think “Dark Horse” works better because the term means a candidate or competitor about whom little is known but who unexpectedly wins or succeeds. That’s exactly what the show is about!!! And it has a double meaning because “Dark” touches on the issue of race without being offensive.

2 Likes

I take your point but isn’t it almost being used in quote marks, ie “that Black bitch” etc.

1 Like

In the first season the main character’s car was vandalised by having the derogatory term spray painted on her car. That’s where the title came from.

The ABC had quite a few written complaints when people heard that this was the working title, so they listened and changed it. As they should have. I just don’t think the new title reflected what the show was really about.

3 Likes

Cameras roll on Total Control 2

ABC and Screen Australia are pleased to announce that filming is underway on one of Australia’s most popular dramas Total Control.

Reprising their award-winning roles Deborah Mailman and Rachel Griffiths are joined in the corridors of power by a stellar cast of Australian actors including Wayne Blair, who will also direct all six episodes.

Returning to Blackfella Films’ critically acclaimed series are Rob Collins, Anthony Hayes, William McInnes, Huw Higginson, Wes Patten, Lisa Flanagan and Harry Richardson. They will be joined this time by a remarkable line-up of Australian talent including comedian Steph Tisdell, who steps into her first dramatic role, Alex Dimitriades, Colin Friels, Harry Greenwood, Rob Carlton, Daniella Farinacci, Brenna Harding, Benedict Hardie, and Anita Hegh.

Deborah Mailman says “It’s a great feeling to be on set as the cameras roll on season two. We have a fabulous team of cast and crew, the scripts are fantastic, and I’m loving getting back into the skin of Senator Alex Irving as she continues her fight in the corridors of Parliament. I can’t wait for people to see the continuation of this story.”

The first season – a standout success, embraced by critics and audiences alike – saw political newcomer Alex Irving (Deborah Mailman) engineer a remarkable coup against Rachel Anderson (Rachel Griffiths), the Prime Minister who appointed her to the Senate. Total Control’s success is now also set to expand to the US, with Disney’s ABC Studios recently announcing adaptation plans.

Rachel Griffiths says: “In the wake of the announcement of the American remake of Total Control and the first seasons’ huge success, I couldn’t be more excited to start filming our second season. I have no doubt that it will be as startlingly relevant and deeply emotional as our first, and that fans will be riveted as they follow Deb Mailman’s epic journey through the rapids of power.”

Season two sees Alex running as an Independent. She’ll be ready for the inevitable dirty campaign tactics and to compete against the well-financed machinery of the major parties. Making her job harder, she’ll be confronted by vile online trolls, threats against her family and political opponents riled by the audacity of a Black woman standing up for the voiceless. Can Alex survive a system determined to shake everything she values?

The series is written by an incredibly talented team of writers including Stuart Page, Larissa Behrendt, Angela Betzien, Pip Karmel and Nakkiah Lui.

Filming in Sydney, Canberra – including at Parliament House – and Broken Hill, the new season will premiere on the ABC later this year.

Production credit: A Blackfella Films production. Major production investment from the ABC and Screen Australia’s Indigenous Department. Financed with support from Screen NSW with Screen Queensland and Screen ACT. Producer Darren Dale. Executive Producers Rachel Griffiths and Stuart Page. ABC Executive Producers Kelrick Martin and Sally Riley. International Distributor is All3Media International.

2 Likes

I finally finished the first season today. Wonderful show. Not overly heavy but a really great watch. Bring on season 2!

2 Likes

There was an ad just before The Newsreader saying that a new season of “Total Control” is coming soon. Nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it will be shown after Fires finishes.

Promo

The first two episodes of season 2 will premiere at Series Mania Melbourne in mid October. Bookings open from tomorrow (September 29).

Season two launches Sunday 7 November at 8.40pm

ABC unleashes more political machinations and the best Australian drama, Total Control

ABC is gearing up for the hugely anticipated return of the ground-breaking, political drama series Total Control. Launching Sunday 7 November at 8.40pm, the new series features powerhouse performances from two of Australia’s popular, multi award-winning actors Deborah Mailman and Rachel Griffiths.

Applauded by critics and embraced by audiences, the first season saw political newcomer Alex Irving (Deborah Mailman) engineer a remarkable coup against Rachel Anderson (Rachel Griffiths), the Prime Minister who appointed her to the Senate.

In season two, both Alex and Rachel find themselves treading different political paths. After being dumped by her own party, Rachel relies on strategist Nick Pearce (Alex Dimitriades) to guide her political ambitions, while Alex finds herself surrounded by a new team, led by her brother Charlie (Rob Collins). But politics can be a nasty business. Will Alex’s determination and the tenacity of her grass-roots driven team be enough? Can she survive a system determined to shake everything she values? And can these political adversaries become political allies?

Reprising their roles in Blackfella Films’ critically acclaimed series are; Rob Collins, Wes Patten, Anthony Hayes, William McInnes, Huw Higginson and Lisa Flanagan. They will be joined in the corridors of power by an exciting line-up of Australian talent including; comedian Steph Tisdell in her first dramatic role, Wayne Blair (who also directs) Rob Carlton, Alex Dimitriades, Daniela Farinacci, Colin Friels, Harry Greenwood, Benedict Hardie, Brenna Harding, Anita Hegh and Vico Thai.

In the lead up to season two, all episodes of season one are available to binge watch now on ABC iview.

Production credit: A Blackfella Films production. Major production investment from the ABC and Screen Australia’s Indigenous Department. Financed with support from Screen NSW and Screen ACT. Producer Darren Dale. Associate Producer Erin Bretherton. Executive Producers Rachel Griffiths and Stuart Page. ABC Executive Producers Kelrick Martin and Sally Riley. International Distributor is All3Media International.

2 Likes

Deborah Mailman and Rachel Griffiths are on the cover of the November issue of the Australian Women’s Weekly, ahead of season 2 premiere.

1 Like

Hamish Macdonald has a cameo in episode 2 next Sunday.

Alex returns home, determined to get her grassroots campaign off the ground. Rachel makes a surprise announcement that sees her facing off with Alex on live television. After the show, Rachel makes Alex an interesting offer.

I’ve been really impressed with Season 2. The story line is compelling, hopefully they can get funding for a third series.

It has been pretty impressive especially since it was filmed during COVD restrictions (if you can look past the bad fake QLD Number plates they have put on the cars) and having to move the production entirely to NSW.

1 Like

I saw some OOH media advertising for the show in Brisbane today, was a little surprised to see that it just said “Streaming Sunday” with just the iView logo - no mention of it’s airing on ABC also.

This is really interesting after the Federal Election result.