Tokyo Olympics Coverage

Wow that headline seems somewhat ridiculous.
I regularly view streamed UHD/4k content on 100 Mb/s FttP NBN.

Of course sport (compared to other content) would benefit more from a higher framerate than resolution, but I’m not anywhere near maxing-out my connection.

Fixed 5G may be good for those stuck without a good wired connection, but there’s no legitimate reason to not allow access to UHD content for FttP NBN connections.

2 Likes

Well HFC is meant to be getting 1000/50 in May next year.

How much of that content is live though?

The advantage of using 5G is that Optus can control the stream end-to-end on their own network - opening it up to other ISPs starts to add factors that Optus have no visibility over. While this is a sales ploy for a new network, its a good way to show that 5G is potentially an alternative for many people to a fixed service.

1 Like

HFC customers getting a speed upgrade but not the 4K Olympics experience. I can steam 4K using a 50/20 connection

Could this be the watermark for Optus Sport’s 7 UHD Olympics coverage (but HD says UHD), or would it be the same as the normal Optus Sport logo or would they just have Live and Free | 7 UHD ?

1 Like

Saw a new promo during Christmas, featuring cyclist Matthew Glaetzer.

1 Like

is optus sports doing the games

Optus is broadcasting a 4K channel (7’s coverage) for the games on Fetch TV.

I would assume that 7 would try and maintain as many commentators as possible from Rio

This is probably the best thread to post the following.

This is the last thing that Seven needs, given their current ratings & financial position.

7 Likes

Wonder if Olympic rights contracts have provisions dealing with what happens if an Olympics is canceled for whatever reason?

3 Likes

Postponing the Olympics until Q4 the Bathurst 1000 and the Spring racing carnival will be impacted

3 Likes

Having the Olympics in October after the AFL season finishes? I think having the OLympics in October would be OK, given that Tokyos temperature is around in the 22-27 degree mark. This could be a good benefit for Channel 7 during the final quarter of the year.

4 Likes

Would be good given it’s between the AFL grand final and cricket season. Unfortunately in America it will be MLB Postseason and the NFL will be 1/3 into the regular season

2 Likes

HOwever in Australia, it will clash with the T20 World Cup down under. The Bledisloe Cup Game 3 may either have to be moved to NZ or be cancelled (meaning that it will be a 2-match series)

2 Likes

Crocmedia has replaced the ABC as AM radio broadcaster for the Tokyo Olympics, after the public broadcaster dropped out due to Federal Government funding cuts. Seven’s commentators including Bruce McAvaney and Basil Zempilas will also be heard on the radio (see Crocmedia thread).

3 Likes

Why, exactly?

It will clash with through t20 World Cup in Australia. I think it will be a waste to play Game 3 of bledisloe cup in Brisbane.
ANZ stadium is unavailable due to renovations

I think Bledisloe Cup May either move to South east asia or in NZ or worst case, cancel Game 3 of the series

1 Like

It won’t. The match will be played October 17, the T20 World Cup starts a day later.

Brisbane gets healthy crowds for Bledisloe matches, always has.

Yeah, definitely no issue I can see moving it there.

Ok, so I still am no clearer as to why the third Bledisloe Cup match has anything to do with the Olympics and why it would shift. The first Bledisloe Cup test is being played on the last weekend of the Tokyo Games (currently). Other sports can still continue during the Olympics.

4 Likes

EVen Perth has an extremely healthy crowd last year at Optus Stadium. Last year 61,242 people attended the match — great crowd. This surpassed the capacity of 60000.