Tokyo Olympics Coverage

winter olympics is in Feb, the world cup is in December, olympics would be in July, I dont see the issue. The Olympics are the biggest event, it overrides all others, any other events can work around it.

2 Likes

They won’t postpone it a second time.

3 Likes

You may not be a football fan, but it is the most popular sport in the world, and as for which is the bigger event, TV audiences have been basically the same for the World Cup & the Olympic summer games.

The World Cup (finals) starts 21 Nov 2022, and football is also in the Olympic summer games which obviously would create unneeded difficulties.

Also it’s not just the athletes and organisers who’d have to (re)organise; it’d be foolish to have so much on so close together, vying for audiences on TV as well as fans’ attending in-person if possible(if vaccinations go & work well), plus sponsorship & advertising money in the same year.

If nothing else I think the commercial side of big sporting event business would effectively kill off the idea of the Tokyo Olympic summer games being delayed (again) to 2022.

1 Like

It will go ahead. I bet these rumours are only surfacing because Japan are asking for a redo in 2032, can’t blame them as they are going to be able to have spectators from all over the world.

Do you have a link to that? Not doubting you just would love to read how much they paid for the rights.

It will be interesting to see what the IOC do - by all accounts their Host City agreements are watertight and significantly favour the IOC and they could force Japan to host the games or walk away without compensatiob

4 Likes

The trouble is it’s a different time slot so this year would have massive ratings over a European games

Sydney 2000 Olympics opening ceremony 2.1 billion … Russia 2018 World Cup final 1.1 billion …

2 Likes

and in 2018 there are far more ways to watch big events and most people have more than one TV in their houses.

2 Likes

Ratings were down in the US for Sydney

1 Like

Calls for US to boycott Beijing Olympics. I have seen questions starting to be asked about whether Australia should as well.

5 Likes

First version of “playbook” for athletes and officials.

One of the principles of the playbook is that people should “support athletes by clapping and not singing or chanting”. But as this playbook is only for international sporting federations, officials wouldn’t say if this would extend to fans. They are yet to decide how many — or if — spectators will even be allowed into venues, with the decision to be made by April.

3 Likes

They have to wear masks 24/7 (unless sleeping or eating). So does that mean when competing?

2 Likes

take them off when competing then put them back on again

2 Likes

Thought so.

Not quite that straight forward as arrangements are in place for venues (particularly the athletes village) and basically having them empty an extra 4 years may not be viable.

I do think the IOC should have come out last year and agreed to postpone to 2022. No World Cup next summer clears the dates and they’d already postponed their own Youth Olympics, pretty much acknowledging it was a possibility. It would have given more certainty to proceeding than trying to go ahead this year, and be safer to allow the individual sports to hold their own smaller World Championships this year (and yes, basically have to deal with the continuing covid fall out) in the hope that 2022 would be more likely to see a return to normality than 2021.

… and what about the Winter Olympics and the Commonwealth Games?

3 Likes

Winter Olympics are Feb - they ran in the same year as the Summer games for the best part of 70 years, they could manage a one off.

The Commonwealth Games are increasingly struggling to find hosts and would probably be relieved to postpone Birmingham 2022 to 2026.

3 Likes

quick … you’d better offer your services to the IOC so you can explain how to do that …

It’s only about a months difference to July 2021 to Feb 2022.

Most organisations have had to manage different ways of doing things over the last year.

Last I heard, Adelaide was considering a bid for the 2026 Games, but I think that’s too soon for the event to return to Australia after Gold Coast 2018.

3 Likes