Tokyo Olympics Coverage

Winter Olympics are Feb - they ran in the same year as the Summer games for the best part of 70 years, they could manage a one off.

The Commonwealth Games are increasingly struggling to find hosts and would probably be relieved to postpone Birmingham 2022 to 2026.

3 Likes

quick … you’d better offer your services to the IOC so you can explain how to do that …

It’s only about a months difference to July 2021 to Feb 2022.

Most organisations have had to manage different ways of doing things over the last year.

Last I heard, Adelaide was considering a bid for the 2026 Games, but I think that’s too soon for the event to return to Australia after Gold Coast 2018.

3 Likes

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1100167/adelaide-commonwealth-games-bid-over

5 Likes

I’m sorry, are you for real @AK_NEWS (Foxtel broadcast)?

Seven have the rights (as do Optus Sport in 4K).

1 Like

9 Likes

NBC’s plan for the Tokyo Olympics includes live coverage for the Opening Ceremonies. Today will be incorporated into the coverage on July 23.

Usually the Opening Ceremony is live streamed (provided you have cable or satellite TV) and aired in primetime on tape delay.

2 Likes

Only 60 odd years behind the rest of the world. And it’s one thing showing a replay in primetime, but then repeating it again overnight means they’re actually missing virtually all of Day 2’s live action.

P.S. Do Seven’s current rights end with these games? After todays news I guess all eyes will be on Brisbane 2032. Seven would surely be favourites to pick up those.

3 Likes

Sadly, yes, but if the IOC has any brains they will go for a network with a paid streaming service attached. They can ask for more money that way. Nine (+Stan) or 10 (+Paramount+), or a network paired with maybe Amazon or similar.

It’ll probably be covered across NBC’s cable (particularly NBCSN in its Olympic’s swansong) and digital platforms.

They have the rights to next year’s Beijing Winter Olympics too. Under the original agreement (not sure if it’s been renegotiated due to last year’s postponement) they had for the 2016, 2018 & 2020 Olympics, Seven also has an option to acquire the rights for the 2024 Paris Olympics.

5 Likes

No doubt 7 will exercise the rights to extend it to 2024. In the 90s 7 had exclusive rights to every Olympic Games from 1996-2008.

The rights for Milan-Cortina 2026 and beyond are TBD

4 Likes

Would be good if Channel 10 scored the rights to the 2028 Olympic Games in Los Angeles, the same network that covered the 1984 Games held in LA.

5 Likes

There was no Network 10 in Perth when LA hosted the 1984 Olympics. IOC will bundle Milan-Cortina 2026 , LA 2028, TBD 2030 and Brisbane 2032 in one package as well.

1 Like

I think there would be a big doubt about this. So many variables especially the cost and whether Seven can justify it in their present financial circumstances.

1 Like

They will probably be able to get a discount or something by arguing the delayed 2020 point.

1 Like

As mentioned earlier in this thread TVW7 carried the opening ceremony and week one of the LA Olympics while STW9 carried week two and the closing ceremony. NEW10 went to air a few months before the 1988 Olympics in Seoul.

4 Likes

No.
7 is the home of the Olympics in Australia. Leave them there.

3 Likes

No channel ten

2 Likes

… of course, the whole concept of 2,7,9,10 may be irrelevant by 2032 :rofl:

3 Likes