Tokyo Olympics Coverage

But the play by play guys is annoying on that. He’s half dead.

I don’t mind him and I am sure he is worlds better than whatever Basil is spouting on the main 7 feed.

Agree. I’ve never thought Thorpe was much good in these roles. Baz is great calling swimming as always.

Doing a great job actually. His experience counts and brings the excitement.

6 Likes

I prefer the more subdue nature of the OBS feeds in general. Though I can see why people might not and prefer the more up-tempo nature of the 7 commentary.

I’ve put all the Olympic schedules in the 7 Schedule area - they tend to get lost here.

3 Likes

Why show a split screen of the Aussie who came 2nd’s family when the winner is celebrating?

Because Australia.

8 Likes

We expect the main coverage to be super parochial. This is especially great when Australia is winning medals. Couldn’t give a rats arse about other countries when we win.

If you want neutral coverage then watch the world feed on 7+.

2 Likes

7plus sets new Australian streaming record

More than 170 million minutes streamed

The first day of competition in the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 saw the Seven Network’s 7plus platform achieve a gold medal of its own: the record for the biggest day of live streaming in Australian television history.

An extraordinary 172 million minutes were streamed on 7plus yesterday, shattering the previous record of 86 million for the State of Origin rugby league match on 14 July this year. The 7plus number does not include co-viewing data, which will be released later today, while the State of Origin number includes co-viewing.

The 7plus total covered 149.8 million live streamed minutes and 22.2 million video-on- demand minutes. As a result, 7plus captured a record-setting 93% share of commercial free-to-air live streaming, and a 79.7% share of total minutes (live plus VOD).

Yesterday also marked a record for 7plus in terms of advertising revenue booked in one day.

Seven West Media Chief Digital Officer, Gereurd Roberts, said: “We knew the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 would be a massive event across both digital and broadcast, but the numbers on 7plus have exceeded all of our expectations and set a new standard for streaming in Australia.

“Tokyo 2020 will be the biggest digital media event Australia has ever seen. If we are setting new streaming numbers after just one day, imagine what the next fortnight or so is going to look like.

2 Likes

Further illustration you must have the streaming rights.

3 Likes

And to make things better, they show a Bronze Medal saying ‘Congratulations Brendon Smith’. Well done for the achievement, Brendon.
Screenshot 2021-07-25 101726

3 Likes

7plus app working better than yesterday, no issues when streaming Barty’s match and softball. All came up to watch on time with OBS commentary.

1 Like

Australia about half a breath away from American-style nationalism with posts/attitudes like this.

2 Likes

Well Leisel and Ian ruined that call with the sub par analysis ans lack of enthusiasm. Thank god for basil. All his build up was followed by insipid commentary that drained the excitement.

3 Likes

Wow, that’s a new one

1 Like

Only in this context.

1 Like

New drinking game - every time there is replay of the gold medal. :smile:

3 Likes

Seems to me that the legacy broadcasters - Seven, BBC, TVNZ - are grappling with the Olympics in a digital world. A curated channel was never perfect, people complained about sports being overlooked in the 80s, 90s and 00s.
But now people expect sports to be available wherever and wherever and are digitally aware enough that events are delayed/live etc.

You can point people to 7+ a lot, but it doesn’t mean they will listen or know how to do it and it seems the Olympics attracts more of a casual/older fan who may not be as confident with streaming so watch linear first and foremost.

12 Likes