Tokyo Olympics Coverage

Some more caps

8 Likes

Could you get more generic pictures of football?

Also, Sam Kerr is notable because she ‘grew up playing AFL’ and ‘does a backflip’? I’m sorry, not that she is a Ballon d’Or nominee, is Matildas captain, WSL Golden Boot winner (and in 2 other leagues), among many other, real, accolades?

9 Likes

7 using virtually the same terrible graphics they used for Rio 2016 and Gold Coast 2018.

7 Likes

I wonder if they’ll schedule into the broadcast system those “switch now” bumpers in respective markets/channels, as well as on-screen crawlers and V/O warnings, like Rio 2016 and what Deeksy used to do (which were actually quite well done - some examples on YouTube).

Because there’s going to be a lot of that happening (channel changing), especially on weekends.

3 Likes

I was a little surprised that 7 aren’t broadcasting most of today’s events/as much as they can on 7 or 7mate.

PS: Just now, the 7+ over the rings watermark still on, over the top of the larger 7+ | rings logo on the ‘TOKYO2020: This Event Has Now Finished’ animated slide, which appears to be a photo of Melbourne. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

37 posts were split to a new topic: Brisbane 2032 Olympic Hosting Announcement

Nine’s 4 pm news with countdown

1 Like

Slightly better than the Rio graphics, but that’s not saying much.

IMO the Sydney 2000/Athens 2004 graphics were actually better than anything that’s been used in the last 10 years!

Beijing’s were OK, but I really hated the italic fonts they insisted on using everywhere. London was the start of the truly abominable graphics packages with the most unprofessional looking sans-serif font used everywhere.

The Tokyo graphics package looks like it was designed for the Atlanta 1996 games. It really fits in with that late 1990s vibe with the flat graphics, Humanist sans-serif fonts and dark green accents.

It’s a serious clash with what I’d expect for a games set in Japan. I know OBS are independent of the host country, but I wish they’d put a bit more effort in.

5 Likes
4 Likes

6 Likes

Considering competition has begun today, the impact of the Olympic News Access Rules will begin to be evident. Aside from Seven, other networks have to obey the 3x3x3 rule when it comes to showing Olympic content.

The rule restricts non-rightsholder networks to showing Olympic content 3 times a day during news programs for up to 3 minutes (highlights of individual events can’t exceed 1/3 of the event or 30 seconds, whichever is lesser) and the 3 programs must each be 3 hours apart. Meanwhile, news channels can show Olympic content 6 times a day for up to 90 seconds each time. Considering they fall under both rules, the ABC is allowed to decide whether they’ll obey by either the 3x3x3 or 6x1 1/2 restriction.

Regardless of the rule they come under, non-rightsholders can only show content which has aired on one of Seven’s channels. If they want to show other content which hasn’t aired on Seven, they have to wait until midnight the next day.

11 Likes

Does that mean anything (i.e. a 30-second clip in 7News) on 7? Or does it mean only live broadcast vision?

From the wording, it seems like the former.

You would think all three commercial FTA networks (as well as any other services which exist around that time) would be interested in securing the rights.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Brisbane 2032 Olympic Hosting Announcement

Apparently there are also events on tonight :grinning:

5 Likes

Yes. As always there are events in the days leading up to the Opening Ceremony.

2 Likes

It was a joke, as the Brisbane announcement is the big news right now.

2 Likes

Love the Sweden women football teams hi-vis jerseys

5 Likes

Almost chroma-key, those jerseys.

1 Like