Today

Alex may need to go home today, his voice is hanging by a thread!

2 Likes

Monday 19th October:
Karl & Ally are doing the 6:30, 7:30 & 8:30 News Headlines this morning.
While Alex is doing Sport Headlines

5 Likes

Sunrise doesn’t even utilize their window space as much as before. Even the America programs don’t capitalize on the window space as much as they did 10 years ago.

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking about the weekend team today and what made the show watchable and successful when it launched and I think that maybe looking outside the box might be the solution.

I think James Bracey is the right man for the job. We need a David Campbell type and it’s clear he is settled on Today Extra. For anyone that watches Sports Sunday would see the chemistry and checkyness he brings to the program. I think having him work Thursday to Sunday doing NRL, Weekend Today and Sports Sunday could work.

Cameron Williams made a successful move from sport to weekend host and I think James could be great.

I would partner him with Natalia Cooper and keep Jayne on News and Sport.

Richard and Bec just aren’t working unfortunately.

5 Likes

Who hosts Sunday NRL? You can’t expect James to work 5am to 6pm.

I’m sure Erin or someone else could host the Sunday game.

1 Like

Would James work well with someone like Belinda or Sylvia?

I think they shouldn’t bring someone new into the Today fold such as Natalia. Viewers are already familiar with Belinda and Sylvia.

Although, Belinda will probably be covering for Sylvia again next year when Sylvia goes on maternity leave.

New into the fold?

Natalia was the weather presenter on Today for years. Viewers know her…

3 Likes

They may know her but has she ever co-hosted before?

I do reckon she’d do a good job if given a go and viewers would warm to her, but I reckon Belinda or Sylvia would be better suited.

I think Chris Koehler will work as a WT host and pair him with Lara Vella. I agree, leave Jayne as the newsreader.

2 Likes

Chris is in Melbourne @Fluoro. You might as well pair him with Bec.

Interesting! A name that hasn’t yet been thrown into the mix AFAIK.
He does seem likeable but, from what I have seen of him (YourDomain, 6pm finance reports), he does need a bit more practice at the whole on air-chemistry thing, I reckon. He’s got potential, but is just a bit too “cardboard-y” for my liking at the moment.

Would Alex Cullen be a suitable Weekend Today host?

Although this would mean he’d have to leave Today, or reduce his news/sport presenting role on Today to three days a week.

I doubt they’ll split up Karl, Ally and Alex considering they’re starting to gain some momentum and are becoming a serious competitor in the ratings.

4 Likes

Chris Kohler’s calling (like that of his father) is Finance - he’ll probably become the Nine Network’s Finance Editor after Ross Greenwood has retired…if that hasn’t already.

He shouldn’t be pushed into presenting positions that potentially aren’t suitable!

Kochie anyone?

Bill Woods and Cameron Williams also come to mind. People can change and adapt to different styles.

1 Like

They should try weekends from Melbourne.
Gives Today a point of difference against Sunrise, especially with Melbourne slowly tuning back to Today.

2 Likes

Who from Melbourne do you suggest?

I don’t mind Bec.
I think them being in different states helps to make the show feel disjointed as well.

Keep Bec. Possibly Clint Stanaway? He did weekend Sport last year and is very capable.
Heaps of other great options in the Melbourne newsroom too. Dougal Beatty could be given a shot.
Chris Kohler could have a greater involvement in the show in some sort.

Lara Vella is very underutilized. Also Sylvia is pregnant again so she’ll be going on maternity leave again.

5 Likes

They’ve recently appointed her as a ‘Today Correspondent’ where she seems to be covering more consumer reports. Gabrielle Boyle seems to have taken over her previous reporter position. Lara hasn’t really filled in much if at all this year apart from over summer.