Today (2015-Sept 2020)

Is it a separate issue that Sunrise tends to also do well on weekends? - 60,000 lead yesterday.

1 Like

:rolling_eyes: Whilst they haven’t won a week this year, last week they won 2/5 days which is more than they have won day-to-day this year. While I think it is strange that Karl is always on ‘assignment’ yet we never see any product, I think his job is safe. In fact, I suspect Today would receive just as much bad PR if they dumped Karl than they do now. Karl would be like Tony Abbott to the Turnbull Government.

[quote=“Salty, post:1473, topic:101”]
Every time Karl is away from the show we have another bullshit article appearing .:rolling_eyes:
[/quote] Which is what Sam A was copping for the past two years…

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:1475, topic:101”]
I’d imagine that this is how we got the standing presentation area modification today:

“Did you hear that ABC News Breakfast is getting a relaunch? Oh s***, we better do something to refresh Today!”
[/quote] Given that they jumped the 2014 relaunch to the day Wake Up debuted, it wouldn’t surprise me. @SEQTelevision, I have been told that we should expect more changes later in the year. I just wish they would modify their look at once instead of piece by piece.

Weekend Today has struggled in QLD since Pete Stefanovic left earlier this year (of course Sydney and Brisbane are WT dedicated viewers whereas Today has Sydney and Melbourne).

3 Likes

Today’s opener:

4 Likes

Would they swap Ben Fordham for Karl Stefanovic permanently?

1 Like

There is no drama at Today, Karl is on leave this week, Lisa will be on leave next week. Its pretty normal for presenters to take a break during the Easter non-ratings period.

8 Likes

Is Sylvia back then next week?

sorry, I didn’t ask about Sylvia.

1 Like

@nationalnews if Sylvia isn’t back next week Alicia is more than capable of co-hosting.

4 Likes

And the saga continues:

Ben Fordham has come to the defence of TV mate Karl Stefanovic, on leave after divorce finalised

Fordham had to clarify why he was sitting in for Stefanovic, after he told his Instagram followers Karl was taking a “well earned break” — only for Lisa Wilkinson to then tell viewers her co-host was “on assignment.”

4 Likes

Why do they have to say “on assignment”? First on ACA and now Today.

Just tell the truth, they’re taking leave for personal reasons.

6 Likes

Ben Fordham should have just left things alone, you know what the vultures are like - you keep egging them on -

they’ll keep digging.

2 Likes

Do vultures dig? I thought they just fed off a corpse. :wink:

LOL its better then a dingo reference :stuck_out_tongue:

IIRC they did they same when Karl ‘appeared drunk on today’ after the Logies, he then took a few days off as if was quite controversial and when he returned he said he “did a few stories for 60 mins”

It can be found at 0.21 in the link below

So they pretty much just say he is on assignment to make him look professional every time he fucks up

He’s been on a lot of assignments but. :joy:

True :joy: I would like to know how many of those assignments have actually been on air

I could be wrong, but I would say that Lisa said this (or was told to say this) to try and avoid these rumours. Obviously, though when there are two different stories, people get suss.

2 Likes

I’m well aware that it’s perfectly normal for news/current affairs presenters to take a break during the Easter non-ratings period (and also around mid-year). Many TV presenters have families with kids and like the rest of the population, they too probably enjoy having a holiday every now and then. I get that.

But why couldn’t Nine simply issue a brief statement among these lines…

“Karl Stefanovic is currently on leave from Today for personal reasons. Understandably, the Nine Network can not comment any further at this time because we respect the privacy of Karl and his family”

The same applies to any other presenters/programs/networks who are in this situation.

I honestly couldn’t care less about the reason Karl Stefanovic is taking time off Today for and it frustrates me to no end that it’s a frequent subject for the gossip rags, but surely it wouldn’t hurt Nine to issue a brief statement to avoid all these rumours as much as possible?!

Even if it’s for personal reasons, it’s hardly a big deal IMO. I’m sure that thousands of people around the country have taken time off work for personal reasons and while I can’t say for sure, I’d be willing to guess that a vast majority of those cases most likely haven’t become a story for Woman’s Day and New Idea!

Rant over…

1 Like

I’m waiting to see Karl’s holiday pics courtesy of New Idea et al.

But he’s “on assignment” so they’ll have a story of him filming. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: