Today (2015-Sept 2020)

We need to talk about Pete Stefanovic. He seems to be some sort of sacred touchstone at Nine, but he’s a disaster. He comes across as such a doofus. Sad attempts at humour and not as bright as everyone else on the panel. Couple him with the never-fun Deb Knight, a dour Lisa and no sport presenter and your problem with ratings is looking at you right in the face.

2 Likes

Well i don’t think calling him a doofus or any of the name in the book is good way to start the conversation.

I have no problem with Pete. I think he does a good job.

2 Likes

Why do I get the impression that many dislike Peter Stefanovic purely for the fact that he’s the brother of the very polarising lead male presenter of Today?

FWIW, personally I think Peter Stefanovic is a rather average, middle of the road presenter. His On-Air presence isn’t amazing but at the same time, I do think there are worse on our screens.

3 Likes

The graphics are hideous.

1 Like

I feel like Peter needs to have a long sit down with his brother and learn about how to be affable or even pretend to be affable on screen. There is no connection there, I feel like he’s a guy I could not approach or have a conversation with if I met him. That being said Karl was also described as a robot when he started so maybe he’s just a little wet behind the ears in terms of hosting that sort of show and he will grow into the role?

This time of the year they just have a revolving door of hosts anyway. Expect to see Tim McMillan back or David Campbell or Tim Gilbert hosting down the line with maybe Alicia Loxley.

1 Like

Friday (16.12.16): Peter Stefanovic is co-hosting with Lisa, in addition to reading sport, live aboard the Ovation of the Seas. Deborah Knight is in the studio reading the news (I honestly don’t know how hard it is for them to understand that separating an already empty team makes for an awful show).

[quote=“Drew_1981, post:1081, topic:101”]
This time of the year they just have a revolving door of hosts anyway. Expect to see Tim McMillan back or David Campbell or Tim Gilbert hosting down the line with maybe Alicia Loxley.
[/quote] I think today will be Pete’s last day anyway with Dickie probably co-hosting for the next two weeks. Tim McMillan will then likely co-host with Alicia/Sylvia until Karl and Lisa return in the third week of January.

[quote=“Tom_TV7, post:1073, topic:101”]
Maybe their run of luck ran out when Sunrise reverted back to its original format?
[/quote] That is likely to be the primary reason why Sunrise’s audience rose. Today’s decline is due to a number of reasons including; rotating door of Early News presenters from mid-year; decline in ratings for Nine News and Nine’s prime time; bad PR and Karl absent quite frequently.

I think Tim Gilbert will be co-hosting with Sylvia during January.

Agreed. She never really has a good sense of humour and is very serious in newsreading (never really smiling or being humourous).

@Tom_TV7 personally when watching a news bulletin l like the newsreader to be serious and from what l have seen of Deb reading news bulletins over the years she has good interaction with sports and weather presenters.
In regard to hosting on weekends Deb is my favourite she is professional and has great banter with other presenters and she does have a good sense of humour.She had the right chemistry with Cam Williams but with Peter Stefanovic that’s a different story.It never felt right to me anyway Pete was more interested in laughing with Jayne and Natalia and at times it seemed like Deb was left out of conversations.
I’m hoping Tom can build up good chemistry with Deb in time,and to have the right chemistry it does take time.
When l think of the Nine News Sydney team Deb along with Georgie Gardner and Peter Overton are the best newsreaders.

5 Likes

Tim Gilbert rarely fills in and when he has, he isn’t great. Given that last summer he was there when Karl wasn’t, I think David Campbell and Tim McMillan will fill-in. And don’t forget Donald Trump’s inauguration is in late January (which Karl will likely cover), so Sylvia will probably co-host then.

[quote=“Tom_TV7, post:1084, topic:101”]
Very serious in newsreading (never really smiling or being humourous).
[/quote] See, I as many know, don’t like Sylvia, she seems very happy when reading serious news. Deb is far better than Sylvia at reading Today’s news IMO and Georgie is leaps and bounds ahead of them all.

[quote=“Salty, post:1085, topic:101”]
It never felt right to me anyway Pete was more interested in laughing with Jayne and Natalia and at times it seemed like Deb was left out of conversations.I’m hoping Tom can build up good chemistry with Deb in time,and to have the right chemistry it does take time.
[/quote] Well said.

Saturday (17.12.16) - Sunday (18.12.16): Jayne is co-hosting again this weekend with Tom, in addition to presenting the weather. Lara Vella is back on the news.

I’m really glad Lara Vella has been given this opportunity to read news on weekends.Despite her previous experience reading Early News working in this format is completely different and she is getting better every weekend.

2 Likes

I’m sure she will. Watched a bit of this yesterday and I have to say that with all those newbies there it looked a bit amateurish. There were way too many pauses and awkward moments. They need new blood but it might have been wiser to ease them in with the experienced hosts rather than throw them all in together.

1 Like

[quote=“JBar, post:1089, topic:101, full:true”]
…Watched a bit of this yesterday and I have to say that with all those newbies there it looked a bit amateurish… have been wiser to ease them in with the experienced hosts rather than throw them all in together.
[/quote] Agree but you do have to remember both Tom Steinfort and Jayne Azzopardi now make up half of the permanent Weekend Today team.

Yes but they are all inexperienced in these roles and in combination it shows.

2 Likes

Monday (19.12.16)-Wednesday (21.12.16): Peter Stefanovic is co-hosting again this week with Lisa, in addition to presenting sport. Deborah Knight is on the news.

It’s so cheap! I hate how Weekend Today do it now the main show is. Get a person in to read sports!

4 Likes

TODAY Perth News finished for the year last Friday.

Saturday (24.12.16): Jayne Azzopardi is co-hosting with Tom, in addition to presenting the weather. Lara Vella is reading the news.

1 Like

Sylvia co-hosting with Pete,Natalia Cooper reading news and weather with Clint Stanaway presenting sport from the MCG this week.

1 Like